ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failure: Sabelt steering wheel (Drivers airbag missing)

Clio 200 CUP
Best make a cage out of card board before the mot then!
Ha-Ha

The tester phoned up and said the airbag light was on because it didn't have an airbag. I told him it had resistors and it was the cables under the seat. He hung up and phoned back an hour later to say it passed and they reset the light with diagnostics.

So I think he almost failed it due to the wheel, then got distracted with the diagnotics :p

Doubt I will be that lucky again though.

Well I have No light in dash and I have a RS Tuner to get it off any how lol But you did sound lucky lol

182 FF
I would say that if you have buckets & harnesses fitted that at least a properly fitted half cage is a good idea as you cannot "duck" out of the way if you car lands on it's roof as you can with inertia reel belts, so a roll bar would protect against that.

Having a full cage fitted would I imagine inhibit the cars crush zones and send the force of any impact through the occupants bodies, at least if it was frontal impact, in stead of the force being dissipated through the car.

I suppose it's a risk you take, you could always be wiped out by a HGV on the way to Tesco!

Ph2 Clio 172
Well I have No light in dash and I have a RS Tuner to get it off any how lol But you did sound lucky lol

I was unlucky it was on. Its got a life of its own. Usually it comes on if you move a seat. I expect the tester moved the seat to drive into the MOT bay and it came on, as it wasn't on when I dropped the car off.

Dam French electrics.

Clio 200 CUP
I was unlucky it was on. Its got a life of its own. Usually it comes on if you move a seat. I expect the tester moved the seat to drive into the MOT bay and it came on, as it wasn't on when I dropped the car off.

Dam French electrics.

Yer there not the best got a friend that has the same problem we took his seats out and mest about with the cables and it worked until he then moved the seat light come back on so just took it off agen with RS tuner lol f**k about lol

Ph2 Clio 172
Do you need an RS Tuner, or can you do it with a bluetooth ODB2 connector and one of those phone diagnostic apps?

Emailed DVLA.

These new testable items came into effect on the 20/03/2013

Oh and for the record, my car has Recaro's and harnesses (along with standard belts, I have both)
Although i'd unplugged the top rear harness mounts as mine have an extra buckle in the rear strap. So it failed on that too.
So I'm not really sure what counts as suitable track car modifications and what doesn't. lol

Think I'll be calling at the garage tomorrow to find out where I stand with all this, mine is a rd going competition car for sprint/hillclimb and is insured as that and is only used for competing at events and driving there, I don't do many track days if any atm.

Regards Russ.....

RenaultSport 172
My PH1 recently passed with an omp steering wheel. No lights as I cut some wire out the air bag ecu. I have bucket seats but standard seat belts, stripped rear interior but no cage.

RenaultSport 172
Ps can you forward me that pm tony sent you about cutting the gear linkage to move the gearstick angle please?

Clio 172
My PH1 recently passed with an omp steering wheel. No lights as I cut some wire out the air bag ecu. I have bucket seats but standard seat belts, stripped rear interior but no cage.

Exactly what I did with the airbag, snipped the wire to the ecu and jobs a good un. I also have no cat on mine, no cage but bucket seats and harness's that are attached to where the rear seatbelt reels used to mount. Passed MOT no worries at all.

mikes86

ClioSport Club Member
  182 track **** & MX5
My car would of failed its last MOT if it weren't for the station phoning VOSA and getting the car passed on the basis that "extensive safety modifications have been made, to make the car suitable for motorsport". My harnesses were also not E marked (aircraft buckle), but were passed on the basis they were currently in FIA.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
My car would of failed its last MOT if it weren't for the station phoning VOSA and getting the car passed on the basis that "extensive safety modifications have been made, to make the car suitable for motorsport". My harnesses were also not E marked (aircraft buckle), but were passed on the basis they were currently in FIA.

This is another thing that is a grey area, ALL rally cars have aircraft buckles but pass MOT's, I wonder if that is official that providing they are in FIA date they are road legal?

Clio 172 Cup
The Problem is that when i spoke to VOSA they said

bla bla bla a vehicle converted for track/rally use may have the ABS system rmeoved but must ahve a fully working braking system, may have the powersteering converted or removed but must have a fully functional steering system, and may also have ther airbags removed in this case the above is allowed.

but then i asked what are the criteria for a vehicle to be classed as a vehicle converted for track/rally use and this is where the fell on thier arse, they said a car fitted with harnesses, racing seats and roll cage and stripped out interia but these were not a mandatory requirement and there is no destiction for which do and do not need to be fitted and also sadi that any of the above would be accepted as a vehicle converted for track/rally use.

hope this helps a bit ..........

but then i asked what are the criteria for a vehicle to be classed as a vehicle converted for track/rally use and this is where the fell on thier arse, they said a car fitted with harnesses, racing seats and roll cage and stripped out interia but these were not a mandatory requirement and there is no destiction for which do and do not need to be fitted and also sadi that any of the above would be accepted as a vehicle converted for track/rally use.

What they said when I rung them. I explained I had bucket seats and harnesses, but no cage and the back wasn't stripped. They said its down to the individual discretion of the tester.

BMW 1 SERIES
any update on this, ive got MOT at end of month, pretty standard car, just lowered a touch and momo steering wheel

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My advice would be to ask the actual tester BEFORE you submit it for a test.

Just say something like:
"Hi, im looking to get my trackday car MOT'd but I hear that when it comes down to things like removing of airbag on a car used on trackdays its down to MOT testers discretion, so can you tell me if you will pass or fail on that basis before I pay for a test as no point me paying for a test if you are one of the testers who will fail it on that, I will just find one who is happy to pass this item as per the discretion that VOSA gives them in this instance for trackday cars."

BMW 1 SERIES
had mine thru the MOT last week, only failed as airbag light was present, so got it removed by 1 of the guys on here, and it sailed thru the next time, regardless of the fact it has MOMO wheel and no drivers airbag, if that helps any1

RS Clio 172 Cup
Think I'll bbe calling at the garage tomorrow to find out where I stand with all this, mine is a rd going competition car for sprint/hillclimb and is insured as that and is only used for competing at events and driving there, I don't do many track days if any atm.

Regards Russ.....

.... and ironically get scrutineered for safety at every event

Clio 172 Cup
Mine failed at Mr. Clutch with a Rally Design suede steering wheel. I didn't have any lights lit on the dash either... Lesson learned with a £28 MOT.

1.7 cdti
When did the rules change then ? It used to be if its not there it cant be tested ie headlight washerjets ?