ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT History odometer readings / Change of details??

Hi all,

I've picked up a 182 FF yesterday at 71000 with FSH. It needs belts done and new tyres but got it for a good price. Took the car to NorthWest Performance today and they didn't find any problems other than I was already willing to get done.

Anyway, we checked the MOT history online (should have done earlier...) and noticed that the milage had halved in 2011, before last owner got the car. I've talked to the last owner, he said he had no idea and could take it back. Then, we noticed that very MOT test (that has the milage halved) has the notice 'Change of details' on top.

- Could it be that the car had a new (2nd hand) engine fitted, hence the notice 'change of details' and reduced milage? Or the MOT centre guys simply halved the milage and put that notice, taking the piss? It's strange because the car isn't even due to MOT when that test was undertaken... You can see the screenshot attached.

NW says the car looks good, even if milage is higher than expected. I still feel like giving it back. I'll try calling the MOT centre and ask if they have a proper history and could have a look what had happened...

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 23.06.43.png

Renault Clio182 bean
If your car has got 71,000 miles on it when you bought it then neither of those MOT's recorded mileage's are correct :S

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to say but its been clocked. mileage is stored in the panel.
Have you got a vin no in the service book does it match the car.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
It could have had 2nd hand clocked fitted? I could be wrong iv never swapped clocks in a clio before so i dont know if milage is stored on the clocks or cars ecu.. If thats the case you should have been made aware of this

First mistake not doing a HPI.

Second mistake taking it to NWP.

Birchdown for anyone in the Northwest.

If you have the option to give it back thats what i would do, theres plently of decent 1*2's about these days.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Whats the milage before 2011? Is it possable the mot guy just wrote the wrong milage down on the mot thats why it was changed 3 days after?
Dos the service milage match the mot milage?

RB 182 195bhp
I would say it's had a fault in the dash and someone has put different dials in. Probably a genuine reason, but you and the previous owner should have been told. I'd take it back/ ask for a partial refund to acknowledge the higher milage if your happy with the car anyway.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's probably had a secondhand set of clocks fitted.

I wouldn't want it though, purely for the fact of how hard it is to sell on!