ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mrs's clio, again. Dont laugh

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Hello there,<br />
<br />
Got a few silly questions that I thought I'd put to you guys.<br />
<br />
<br />
My girlfriend has a cheap little clio as her first car.<br />
<br />
It's pretty bad, not been looked after at all. But now it's in our hands we are gonna try the best we can to keep it running as we can't really afford to get another car or fix it as such.<br />
<br />
So far it's had new brakes all round, new tyres all round, full service and all the belts changed, including water pump.<br />
<br />
Paintwork side of things I can handle etc.<br />
<br />
But when it comes to the engine there are a few things that concern me.<br />
<br />
Had the AA out te other day as it was playing up, we all thought it would be the Coilpack because of the symptoms. But it turned out the be that the ecu plug at the back of the block was literally soaking in rain water.<br />
<br />
All the wires around the bay are corroded and looks like an expensive job to replace (not an option) <br />
<br />
The AA guy said to get rid of it but I'm not gonna be able to do that.<br />
<br />
My question is...<br />
<br />
If I clean up the engine bay carefully, (don't laugh) is it ok to spray a silicone type substance to help protect these exposed parts so we don't get any problems in the future, or will it cause more damage to the wiring?<br />
<br />
I don't know what else we could do<br />
<br />
Many thanks for any help, sorry about the long read haha

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
you can get some sort of sealant for electrical contacts and of such.

very popular with the aircraft industry.

will, have a dig, and see whats out there...

If the loom is already corroded the problem won't go away id speak to Renparts and get a price for a good condition second hand loom.

2007 clio dynamique
Hello there,<br />
<br />
Got a few silly questions that I thought I'd put to you guys.<br />
<br />
<br />
My girlfriend has a cheap little clio as her first car.<br />
<br />
It's pretty bad, not been looked after at all. But now it's in our hands we are gonna try the best we can to keep it running as we can't really afford to get another car or fix it as such.<br />
<br />
So far it's had new brakes all round, new tyres all round, full service and all the belts changed, including water pump.<br />
<br />
Paintwork side of things I can handle etc.<br />
<br />
But when it comes to the engine there are a few things that concern me.<br />
<br />
Had the AA out te other day as it was playing up, we all thought it would be the Coilpack because of the symptoms. But it turned out the be that the ecu plug at the back of the block was literally soaking in rain water.<br />
<br />
All the wires around the bay are corroded and looks like an expensive job to replace (not an option) <br />
<br />
The AA guy said to get rid of it but I'm not gonna be able to do that.<br />
<br />
My question is...<br />
<br />
If I clean up the engine bay carefully, (don't laugh) is it ok to spray a silicone type substance to help protect these exposed parts so we don't get any problems in the future, or will it cause more damage to the wiring?<br />
<br />
I don't know what else we could do<br />
<br />
Many thanks for any help, sorry about the long read haha

What were the symptoms when the aa come out mate ? And were is the plug you mentioned ? As my sisters runs like crap but its not the coil and as yet ive still not found the cause