ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 15 Year-long Mini Rebuild Project (LOTS of pictures, go and get a cuppa!)

browno

ClioSport Club Member
I think the time has finally come to put up a project thread to show off possibly the world’s longest rebuild of such a small car – partly to show it off, but also to give me the motivation to get the final jobs done and get it on the road ready for the mini 50 celebrations next year.

So to get to the start of the project, we need to go all the way back to the summer of 1993 (so sorry about the quality of some of the pics - they've been scanned from old-school film prints!), when I was 16 and eager to get behind the wheel. I had saved up a fair bit of money, and was keen to get myself a car that I could tidy up in the six months before I could start driving. My Dad had spotted a mini that was being repaired at a garage owned by my mate’s Dad, and was up for sale as the owner’s husband had been banned for 12 months. So, a week or so later (on August 31st 1993, in fact), I became the proud owner of a 1985 Mini City E, which had a new MOT that day and had recorded 47420 miles. It was in good condition, but hadn’t been cleaned in a long time, so on the first day it looked like this (with me & my brother in it looking very young & of course stylish!):

afeb688b.jpg

69e42b41.jpg

So I got my most stylish gear on and got to work giving it a clean, and got rid of the fetching brown interior, after which it looked a lot tidier:

f3a07909.jpg

91538ffd.jpg

16649d9e.jpg

258ea7be.jpg

The only visible fault was a small rust hole in the bonnet, so I got rid of that:

fef39e18.jpg

8109f1ca.jpg

Then we thought it would be worthwhile getting it into the garage so that we could whip out the rust-prone rear subframe to repair it as needed and paint the floor in that area:

a01ed600.jpg

The good news was that the original subframe was in great condition, as was the boot floor, so we stripped everything back, gave it all several coats of hammerite to protect it from the elements and reassembled it all looking much better:

9359c798.jpg

Mini0021.jpg

3b8b6d1f.jpg

eed5bad3.jpg

b46c9893.jpg

39946bf5.jpg

So far, so good – in fact we’d found it quite straightforward – and at this point is where things changed from a quick tidy up into a more serious project. Having sorted out the rear end, I also stripped and painted the floor in the middle of the car without any problems. Then we decided to up the ante by taking out the front subframe – achieved by simply lifting the body off the front running gear, which was then wheeled out.

f61e0d9b.jpg

420e7cf4.jpg

3f1fd496.jpg

Then the engine/gearbox and all brake and suspension components were separated from the subframe and it was built back to give us a rolling shell (so that the engine could be rebuilt and put back into the shell later)

This resulted in a shell that was well protected underneath and looked like this:

1c8e1ef3.jpg

As it had turned into more than a quick tidy-up, and I wasn’t going to have it ready for when I did my test, I decided that the paintwork wasn’t great, and could be improved – so it was sent off to a mate’s garage for a paintjob… He assured me that he’d take great care of my pride & joy for me…

796937ef.jpg

3eea409f.jpg

The car was prepped and primed, but then the project stalled for the first time, as it was being painted as a favour, it was low priority – so spent about 2 years sitting in a shed at the garage awaiting attention.

Eventually, when I was at Uni, and had nice long summer holidays I got cracking on with it again – I built the engine up which is based on the original 998cc unit, but significantly upgraded (I was concerned about insurance at the time, and the engine was in such good nick, I decided to modify it, rather than transplant it) with the following bits:
Minisport stage 1 kit (alloy inlet & LCB exhaust manifolds, superflow exhaust & K&N filter)
Minisport stage 3 cylinder head
Minisport road/rally cam
Single 1 ¾” SU HIF44 carb
Aldon electronic ignition conversion

After a bit of nudging, the car then got painted in Ferrari Rosso Corse with a Ford Diamond White roof – and I had a motor that looked like this:

819186cc.jpg

So the motor was fitted (and sounded fantastic) – then the spending then started on shiny bits for it including lots of trim, a six-point safety devices roll cage, a pair of cobra low-back buckets and all sorts of other stuff. With a big push on to fit this lot up, the car was looking pretty good and just needed some trim and wiring finishing before it was ready:

dc13735c.jpg

ee26f5da.jpg

However, at this point things changed again, and the project stalled for the second, longer time. I ended up staying on at Uni for 3 more years to do a PhD and towards the end of that 3 years, my dad (who can be seen in some of the earlier pictures) died suddenly aged just 49.

Eventually I ended up finally getting myself a job, which was back near home, and bought a house – so got a mate with a truck to bring the car over into my new garage – so, we are up to 2004, 11 years after I bought it, and it looked like this:

bb94f4c8.jpg

Finally after lots of failed attempts, earlier this year I decided to have a big push and finally get it on the road, as it has become such a huge joke with all my friends and family that I have the infamous unfinished mini that it needs to be finished! I also figured that since it’s something that I’ve worked so hard on with my Dad and Brother that I need to finish it off as a memory of him too.

So far, I’ve stripped the top end of the engine again and rebuilt the head, rebuilt the carb and got the engine running again before I started work on some of the other jobs that need doing – some that weren’t done originally, others that need doing because of the lay-up.

After a lot of work, it doesn’t look much different – but it has had a lot of jobs attended to:

3d6747bc.jpg

The electrics all now work, and the current jobs in progress are focussed on sorting out the interior and tidying all the wiring. One of the big jobs was getting out both screens to fit new seals, which meant I could also take out the dash and retrim it with a bit of help from the missus:

daf22cc2.jpg

ded2182a.jpg

Note the mileage above - 47443, so in 15 years, it's managed the grand total of 23 miles - which were all done before we started stripping it, with my Dad driving! 1.5 miles a year is a pretty low rate of accumulation!

It’s currently slowly beginning to look better – but taking lots of time to get the details sorted out – things like the heater, which had a leaky matrix has been taken out, stripped and all the parts painted and reassembled with a new matrix, and replacing just about everything in the cooling system (new water pump, thermostat and everything else flushed out) - only to find that the pipes into the heater matrix were also leaky… so I’ve now got a new set on order to get fitted up this week.

53a742ee.jpg

48a97162.jpg

Well – that was a monster post – hope it’s of interest to people! I’ll try to keep this updated with my progress, and I look forward to your comments.

browno

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'm sorry to hear about your dad pal, sounds like he was taken way too early. You've done a nice job on the write up though and it looks like the car has progressed really well. Like you say, you've gotta get on the road for yourself, your dad and for your family. Good luck, keep the thread updated.. will be so much fun once it's finally running! :)

jamescolli

ClioSport Club Member
aw makes me kinda wish i'd bought a mini now :D
i always did want to do something like this
can't wait to hear how it go's... Keep Up The Good Work!

340i
Looks brilliant mate, liking the old school photos ;)

I live local to Derby, where abouts are you from?

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
awesome story. and an achievemnt to be proud of. i lost my dad this year aged 50 so i know where that bit of extra determination has come from.....

you may know it, clio?
just read it all... firstly sorry about your dad pal.

but secondly 15 years and still working on it, gotta be some sort of dedication ;) ha anyways, keep us updated!

Burgandy 174 sport t
crackin effort, get a new roof skin put on and painted imo the sunroof lets it down otherwise crackin thread and car!

i ran an '83 City E for about ten years and thought i'd taken my time (about 7 months) restoring the shell!
that's brought back some memories - great read. good luck with the final stages!

Turbos.
Awesome job, well done! Impressive you were getting your hands dirty at just 16 too. What a shame you posted that last photo though... a classic Mini with angel eyes, WTF?

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Well - thanks to all of you for all the positive comments - I am determined to get it finished for spring, hopefully by keeping this thread going will stop me from slacking off, and keep me motivated!

A couple of bits I wanted to reply to specifically too:

Looks brilliant mate, liking the old school photos ;)

I live local to Derby, where abouts are you from?

I'm in Belper (you might see my 182 or freelander with private plates around the area - clio is just sneaking into one of those last pictures, in fact!)- how about you?

awesome story. and an achievemnt to be proud of. i lost my dad this year aged 50 so i know where that bit of extra determination has come from.....

Sorry to hear about your dad too - it's such a shock to lose a loved one at such a relatively young age. It's a total cliche, but thankfully things do get easier with time (now 6 years since my dad died) - but still never stop thinking about him, and what his opinion on things would have been.

crackin effort, get a new roof skin put on and painted imo the sunroof lets it down otherwise crackin thread and car!

I know what you mean - although for now I'm going to live with it - and maybe get a carbon roof panel on when I next decide to strip it (otherwise I'll be retired before it's finished LOL!)

Awesome job, well done! Impressive you were getting your hands dirty at just 16 too. What a shame you posted that last photo though... a classic Mini with angel eyes, WTF?

It's a bit of a legacy of the duration of the build really - I got the angel eyes back in the late 90's when they were really something unusual, and they mean I have a halogen headlight conversion rather than the usual glow-worm like sealed beams... I'm planning on keeping them in there for now, but I imagine that long term they'll get swapped (I'm prioritising things at the mo, so I don't have to completely break the bank to get it on the road!)

Fingers crossed I should have another bundle of parts on it's way from minispares today - so might be able to add some more progress shortly...

E90
Great thread mate, I had a B reg mini 1000, spent a fortune in Minisport, mine was a rust bucket, But I had it fully rebuilt and resprayed, big arches, 10 inch cosmic wheels, Corbeau buckets etc , keep going dude

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Very good mate, rather impressed!

Im gonna show this to my dad he used to iwn loads of minis i keep telling him to take another on as a project and maybe try and drop a motorcycle engine in it of some sort!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
good effore but 15yrs!! You would expect it to be done!! lol

Love minis, cant you get someone to sand down the joins between the panels

S4 Avant
Looks like a serious amount of effort gone in there. Hats off to you. Might have seen your 182 around belper, and I too drive a freelander

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Nice one mate, Looks beautiful! I have a real soft spot for old minis and have owned 3 so far : ) Good luck with the rest of the project and keep the pics coming!

Good luck with the rebuild and hope its on the road soon as all good Minis should be. Look forward to bumping into you at some of the 50th Celebrations next year. It only took me four years to get my Elf up to standard.

Thats such a good diary mate, brilliant story, and some quality pictures... liking your jazzy clothes ;) ! But also like you said, will be brill to completely finish it as it was something you started with your dad! Good work mate :)

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
lookin mint
love minis, NEED to get one within the next 10 yrs
have u thought about wheel arch kit and deepdish mini alloys?

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks again to you all for your comments - good to see some love for the old mini's on here!

Unfortunately today's update is no progress! My parcel of parts haven't arrived yet from minispares, and I've been trying to get to the bottom of the fun and games I'm having with the clio at the minute (new lambda sensor going in tomorrow)...

Hopefully I'll be able to get a bit of tinkering done tomorrow, even if the bits don't turn up...

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Im a big mini nut myself.
Gonna try to get mine as I want it for next years 50th meetings, as long as the clio stops robbing it from having time spent on it. The clio's seem to be just as time consuming as the minis :)