ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 can drive itself!!!

Monaco 172
I now need a new door for my 172. I need a new door because i didn't realise that clios can drive all by themselves!

Just to give you all a bit of a laugh and maybe even a warning if this is something that you're not already aware of, i will tell you why i now need a new door:

Just finished changing the rear brakes. The car had been jacked up and in reverse gear. The car was then lowered and the handbrake put on and i chatted with my brother in law about where best to cruise around to bed the brakes in. Standing next to the drivers door, i turned the key, forgetting that the car was still in reverse and the car began to drive - not jerk backwards or splutter - but fully drive backwards about 10m down the driveway, revving as it did so, bending the drivers door way too far open, completely writing the door off.

Now, i've started cars before when they've still been in gear and in my experience the car would just jerk forward and stall. Never have i been in a car that drives itself! Especially when the car has the handbrake on, new brakes or not!

Can anyone explain this one?:S

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Your throttle might of been a bit stuck thus letting the car rev more and obv giving it more power to drive it backwards. Just a thought though.

clio sport 182
i doubt he had to move out of the way while the car was reversing as he mentioned he had to turn the key,making his position not at the rear of the car but at the side

Not got a car
if he was at the side, the door open, and with it reversing the door would be coming your way if you didnt get out of the way it would just take you out

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I laughed, but its not a good position to be in, maybe the throttle was stuck open a bit like Bonxy said?

PH1 iceburg
If you knew you had left it in reverese why start it even if you thought it would just splutter?

Monaco 172
Hehe, thanks guys!

No, i totally forgot that it was still in reverse! I was stood next to the drivers side with the door open so i kinda got dragged back with the car! My brother in law was standing right behind the car and i swear i've never seen him move so fast in my life! Hehe!

I'll try to get some pics up to give you all a little more entertainment! :p

S3, Polo
My brother in law was standing right behind the car and i swear i've never seen him move so fast in my life! Hehe!

:p

:lolup: Cheeky b*****d... :)

You are a dipstick though mate! :rasp:

Well, my neighbours fence is now fixed so you owe me a beer mo-fo!

Clio Dynamique S DCI 86
A lad at my work whos a mechanic has told me something like this before, apparently if you start the car in gear, first time it stalls and second it just starts, and then you can change gear without using the clutch somehow, its how mechanics bring home cars than have failed clutches,

Ph2 172
Yeah it can be done, my mates clutch cable snapped and I manged to get it home for him, got to keep the revs real low when trying to change into another gear with no clutch. Junctions and roundabouts were a nightmare tho haha!

OneTime_

ClioSport Club Member
  '65 BMW F31 330d
Learn to start the car, any car, with the clutch in...so nothing like this can happen :)

Monaco 172
Yeah, looking back it was a massive demonstration of f**kheadedness on my part!

To be fair though, i did somehow manage to find a replacement door in Monaco Blue on a sunday morning in my area, which i picked up and then fitted within a couple of hours (with the help of _Nero_!). No one will ever know! Hahahaahah! Well, apart from all the people on ClioSport that now know about it thanks to this thread! Ahem :p

I'll put some pictures up of the damaged door later on.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Haha hard luck! Some guy flung open his door as my dad went into a parking space. Anyway long story short he learnt his lesson as his door wouldnt shut anymore!

Need pics.

53 Clio's & counting
A lad at my work whos a mechanic has told me something like this before, apparently if you start the car in gear, first time it stalls and second it just starts, and then you can change gear without using the clutch somehow, its how mechanics bring home cars than have failed clutches,

Lol no fella, you can drive 'most' cars without the clutch (if the box is good) by matching the revs, and not mashing syncro's when you change,(going up the box usually is fine if you get the revs up to say about 3500 rpm and gently put pressure on the stick to move to the next gear as you let off the throttle, changing down requires a blip of the throttle and good timing!) some cars are better than others (iv found Fords to be pretty good) just so you know, and to tell your mate to stop telling you porkies lol

Monaco 172
Here's the damage to the door:
Door.jpg

The door is a total right-off as you can see. Already stripped the door card, controls, glass and strips and fixed them to the new door.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Has it damaged anything on the body?

Brackets etc??

Or you been lucky and it fits back on perfectly?

Very very ouch tho!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus, you werent joking when you said you'd mullered it. Did you have to get all new brackets etc? I'm very suprised that hasnt bent anything other than the door tbh!!!!!

Could it be good design in a renault for quite possibly the first time ever?

Monaco 172
Amazingly there was little damage to anything else but the door. After it buckled so much i wasn't able to shut the door since the door was catching on the front wing. The Front wing itself was undamaged and there were just some minor scratches on the inside of the door frame where the metal buckled against it.

The hinges did get a little bent, however. When we re-attached the new door it was sitting about 4cm lower than it needed to be. To fix that we had to be a little heavy handed and used a jack to jack the door up. After jacking the car up by the door a couple of time we were able to bend the brackets back into position. The door opens and closes pretty much perfectly now except for popping open a little when you pull the handle. I'm just treating that as a new 'automatic door' feature!