ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 hates 95 Ron! Seriously lacks power, anyone else notice this?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Can really tell the difference when using 95 Ron, with tesco 99 Ron it really flys when it hits 5000rpm and puts you in your seat, with 95 I can barely notice the vvt cutting in! Anybody else have the same results?

S4 Avant
Can really tell the difference when using 95 Ron, with tesco 99 Ron it really flys when it hits 5000rpm and puts you in your seat, with 95 I can barely notice the vvt cutting in! Anybody else have the same results?

I struggle to notice the VVT kicking in at the best of times.

Never seen any difference between 95 and 97 or 99 ron tbh.

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Yer it seems to idle and run all round better, and a smoother power band imo... Says on back of fuel cap recomend ron 98 on a green sticker...

I have always ran my cars on 99ron so i cant make a comparison however my brother who used to own a 172cup used to swap between unleaded and super unleaded and he said on regular petrol it idled poor, ran rough and it felt a little sluggish

Mk5 golf gti
Shell vpower makes a good difference in economy and running in comparrison to 95 ron

tesco fuel is piss tbh

clio sport 182
i get better mpg with 95 rather than shell v-power...

Def difference in kick btween the two though!

Lotus Elise
tesco 99 stuff. The trophy loves it, however standard tesco 95 it hates. Sumco 102 octane now thats proper fuel

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
mine deffo is better on 99 at idle and very low revs, its mapped on 99 with the cams so i guess this is why!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Can always feel the vvt cutting in but it defo kicks way more with higher Ron fuel in, think I'll stick to the good stuff even tho the freakin prices are so high!

Would like to see what diff it makes on mine on a rolling road, I bet it's way different!

S4 Avant
Can always feel the vvt cutting in but it defo kicks way more with higher Ron fuel in, think I'll stick to the good stuff even tho the freakin prices are so high!

Would like to see why diff it makes on mines on a rolling road, I bet it's way different!

There's not a lot of power that low down in the rev range, so I doubt you can feel the VVT change.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
There's not a lot of power that low down in the rev range, so I doubt you can feel the VVT change.

Yes you can feel the dephaser changing over its really noticeable, like you say not alot of power until 5000rpm then it starts going - more so with 99 Ron for sure!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Would like to see what diff it makes on mine on a rolling road, I bet it's way different!

Dont bank on it

Last edited by a moderator:
  S4 Avant
Yes you can feel the dephaser changing over its really noticeable, like you say not alot of power until 5000rpm then it starts going - more so with 99 Ron for sure!

It does start going past 5K you're right, but it's nothing to do with the valve timing. Have a search about it and you'll see how many other people make that mistake.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
It does start going past 5K you're right, but it's nothing to do with the valve timing. Have a search about it and you'll see how many other people make that mistake.

I see, thanks! (even Renault technicians can be wrong!) so it just when the air/fuel and engine is at it's most efficient, so the 99ron must help the surge its stoichiometric ratio must be at it's best!

Cheers that's cleared that up :)

225 Cup & Williams
Does it make a difference with forced induction cars like the 225 for example, I've post's by rstuning on megsport that they recommend using vpower for better bhp etc.

225 Cup & Williams
Does it make a difference with forced induction cars like the 225 for example, I've seen post's by rstuning on megsport that they recommend using vpower for better bhp and smoother running.

Lionel Richie
boosted is a different kettle of fish, and generally yes you want to use the fancy stuff in them, NA cars - don't bother

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does anyone notice the VVT at 1200RPM? Or what ever it is?

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Turbo cars I'd also say defo worth it, especially if tuned! N/a cars generally speaking shouldn't make much diff but like i say 100% noticeable in mine, all are very different tho!

You do get a few more bhp on high octane if you ever get a custom remap, i had mine mapped by rstuning and now it can only run on high octane, paul said it will run rubbish if i were now to run it on normal 95ron

ITB'd MK1
F4R is a very high compression ratio for a standard engine, that means the knock threshold is lower. When knock is detected the ECU dials out ignition timing, and this reduces power output. On low octane fuel, you will get knock, and so you will run a reduced power from what's possible

ITB'd MK1
No it's up in the revs far too quick to notice it that early on, especially in 1st and 2nd it's on the limiter before you know it with the shift light flashing on!!

vvt switches at roughly 1600 (dependant on manifold pressure also) it's there to give a nicer idle and smoother driving (in stop-go traffic for example)

340i
I never noticed a difference on fuel with my 172, made 188.4bhp on 95ron fuel ;)

But as said on boosted cars the fuel quality is more noticeable..

My r26 is mapped by RStuning... Vpower, Tesco 99ron etc. runs lovely

but on 95ron fuel you do notice a difference.. Lumpy idle and the car just feels a little limp compared to running on higher octane petrol!

GB 182 FF
Mine idles worse (and runs far richer) on Tescos Momentum TMS 'tested' fuel... it does run smoother when off idle though (cant say it feels faster or anything tbh)
On pikey 95 fuel it idles beautifully and not so rich, but isnt quite as smooth when moving.

for most factory N/A engines (I regard factory, as std stuff still inside the lump and anything bar TB's fitted), any fuel will do, it will have been base setup on nasty french fuel for the NEDC and then the 'fun' parts would have been proven with some high octane fuel but not reliant upon it.

Clio 172
I always use either total excelium/tesco 99 or vpower. I notice the difference between them and standard 95 ron in my 172. I even noticed it in my old fiesta zetec s.

Not so much power but smoothness of the engine and power delivery

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You mean do bank on it then?? Obviously does make a difference on higher Performance cars! I can defo notice it and so can my mates in the passenger seat - cheers

What? Eh no! The turbo charged cars is where it matters! The Clio made no difference whatsoever

Arctic 182 + yozza
Shell vpower makes a good difference in economy and running in comparrison to 95 ron

tesco fuel is piss tbh

you realise tesco gets it's fuel from shell right?

i know because i used to work is tesco fuel station!

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Isnt all fuel made from the same place but the supermarkets put their own additives in it? i was told this once but wasnt sure to believe it or not.

"super" unleaded makes no difference to my car, But like said before it helps with Knock on turbocharged cars (one of the most important things to watch for when tuning them)