ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 182 wont turnover after gearbox replaced

So I recently replaced the gearbox and clutch in my 182, went to start it, and it wouldnt turnover.

I can turn the key once - dash lights come on, when I turn it to ignition point 2 nothing happens.

When I turn the ignition off, I can hear a click.

the battery is showing 12 volts, and I've tried re creating the earths with jump leads(positive on battery negative on engine crane hook)

any help would be appreciated!

cheers

Arctic Blue 182
I would say starter motor to err start with. Two wires ones a push on and ones a bigger bolt on one.

When I did mine the gearbox earth came lose after a few miles and the lights on the dash went bat s**t crazy! Not 100% but woulda thought if the earth was out you would experience a similar thing.

So my gearbox earth is connected to here?! (pretty tight too - not sure if using correct bolt)
5f14827b8d99cb39a8175d8dfea5402b.jpg

And here's 3 wires on the starter motor no? 2 bolt on one little push on..

I also when I went to check the starter motor (stupidly) forgot to remove battery so removed the white wire and lots of sparks...
But that was after the car didn't start. ...

Arctic Blue 182
Haha I did the same mate. Started to weld my mani was quite scary :)

Not sure about that bit but the earth strap is the other side and attaches at the same place as the lower front gearbox mount on the subframe. It's a strap not a cable.

Yes three wires on starter but ones kinda integral to it no? From the solenoid to the starter so doesn't actually leave the start motor assembly.

Haha I did the same mate. Started to weld my mani was quite scary :)

Not sure about that bit but the earth strap is the other side and attaches at the same place as the lower front gearbox mount on the subframe. It's a strap not a cable.

Yes three wires on starter but ones kinda integral to it no? From the solenoid to the starter so doesn't actually leave the start motor assembly.

Haha yep, right int my face too! Ooops

So yep got this bit connected
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/22/5ae7073667c02855d4fe2e3d2bf58387.jpg[/IMG

Was wondering if you have to use the nut that came off it, as the one that's on there at the moment is the same size, but yeah any benefits on contact etc...

Arctic Blue 182
Budgie is a bit of a legend with these things. Would have to take my wheel off to check if mines in the same spot and I'm not in a position to do that at the mo

Yeah no bother, don't worry about going through that! And yeah I've been in contact with him quite a lot, so don't really wanna keep at him and piss him off haha :(

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
So I recently replaced the gearbox and clutch in my 182, went to start it, and it wouldnt turnover.

I can turn the key once - dash lights come on, when I turn it to ignition point 2 nothing happens.

When I turn the ignition off, I can hear a click.

the battery is showing 12 volts, and I've tried re creating the earths with jump leads(positive on battery negative on engine crane hook)

any help would be appreciated!

cheers
There is another earth, it runs from the starter to the gearbox. I've just done a gearbox fit and had this problem as this wire had snapped. Back of the bell housing at the top.

Arctic Blue 182
Oh here's an interesting one that happened to me. The immobiliser got stuck on. You can tell this as when you turn the key the round red light stays on when the rest go out.

Guide on here on how to reset it.

330i. E30 Touring.
Cheers chaps

Tricky one this. If the wires at the starter have sparked then I'd assume there's power there.

You undo the earth at the battery negative? One that bolts in by the N/S headlamp?

Cheers chaps

Tricky one this. If the wires at the starter have sparked then I'd assume there's power there.

You undo the earth at the battery negative? One that bolts in by the N/S headlamp?
Didn't know where that earth was, what does that help with?!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I haven't read all this through but its what tony said the gearbox earth. Correct set up half way down. Take negative off battery first. No need to remove positive as there isn't a complete circuit.

I haven't read all this through but its what tony said the gearbox earth. Correct set up half way down. Take negative off battery first. No need to remove positive as there isn't a complete circuit.
Sorry very tired, could you explain what you're talking about in the last bit?!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
When you are taking the earth strap on and off disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. You don't have to take off positive. Just like any electrical job.

Dammnn never knew that!

So basically check earth's
-the one thay doesn't look like an earth
-the one that does look like one that I pictured
-one behind headlight?

330i. E30 Touring.
It's one of the earths, IMO. You tried earthing the gearbox to the chassis like I said?

If not, go round and check all the plugs on the loom are definitely in and seated/connected.

It's one of the earths, IMO. You tried earthing the gearbox to the chassis like I said?

If not, go round and check all the plugs on the loom are definitely in and seated/connected.

You were saying something about the earth by the battery terminal behind n/s headlight - haven't seen or tried anything with that?!
What was it about the earth to chassis?
Sorry if you're feeling like I'm being incompetent, I don't mean it! haha

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
In front of the battery there are 2 earths don't worry about those those as they won't have been touches when the gearbox is removed.

Give this gearbox earth a go because I would bet my shoes that's the problem

In front of the battery there are 2 earths don't worry about those those as they won't have been touches when the gearbox is removed.

Give this gearbox earth a go because I would bet my shoes that's the problem
Yeah didn't touch them.
so just take it out clean it refit it?!

And I guess it doesn't make a difference and what bolts im using, like if they were the orginal, as they probably wernt!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Take it off. Clean the ends and put it back like the photo half way down the first page.

If you don't have the bolts just make sure they are tight

Probed all the Earth straps cables, that's all fine 12volts going through,

-tested starter motor on the ignition spade connector wire, that's got 12 volts when ign is on

So im guessing starter motor is fuckererd

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Have you changed the location of the fricking earth?

They are on a different circuit.

Arctic Blue 182
Would be surprised if the starter just suddenly went. You tried resetting immobiliser as I suggested?

It's probably the earths as these guys know more than me but it's an easy thing to try!

So I've cleaned the earth strap on n/s wheel arch, and the one above the n/s drive shaft! Still nothing...