ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My b*****d Power Steering has gone to the f**king dogs!

Black Gold with cup packs
I have had some complete s**t with this car. The power steering is leaking, I am pretty sure it is either the power steering rack, steering gator, power steering pump, or one of the power steering pipes! Has anyone else had this problem, I literally parked up and my car was pissing some sort of oil, initally I thought it was Transmission fluid, but after I drove the car established it was the power steering. Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? What part of the power steering system did it turn out to be? And what was the Financial damage your individual scenario?

172 Race Car
Re: My b*****d Power Steering has gone to the f**king dogs!

I am pretty sure it is either the power steering rack, steering gator, power steering pump, or one of the power steering pipes!
well its got to be one of those coz u have named the whole system. Need to put some fluid in it and check, could be anything. pumps are fairly common

as said, need to check where it's coming from.

i've had this and it turned out to be failure of the seals in the rack itself - the rack gaiter would slowly fill up with oil and then leak out

cheapest solution was reconditioning the rack (there's a reconditioner in Bristol who charges about £145 + £10 carriage either way; there's another in Brum who's a bit cheaper). it's a real knob of a job to take off and put back on though - i think it's about 4-5 hours labour which whacks the costs up unless you can do it yourself.

hopefully it's just a loose connection in your case - although some of the pipes are expensive to replace

Lionel Richie
my money is on the high pressure line, i bet its snapped off at the pump = £175 for a new one (and its a t**t to do)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I took my PAS to a guy in brum who was really good, cant remember name tho' but was near the blues ground.

Black Gold with cup packs

my money is on the high pressure line, i bet its snapped off at the pump = £175 for a new one (and its a tw*t to do)

The rate it is/was coming out I would agree that it is a line

My cup sprang a leak from the pipe under the air box. It had come out of its retaining clip and been rubbing on the gearbox. I can't remember which of the two pipes it was, but I can remember they were both in the region of 200 quid from Renault! The hole was tiny took a couple of days before the steering was affected once you topped the fluid up. I sealed it with some silicon sealant and some self amalgamating tape. No problems since!