ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Cheap 'Ring Car...

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
Well i set myself a challenge of getting myself a cheap project that would boast both good performance and reliability for a 'ring car and i stumbled across this,

1.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

Parked on someones drive, last taxed 2004 so i knocked the door and £500 later it was mine....

Its a '91 Toyota Celica GT4 - So 2ltr turbo & 4wd and no abs so perfect for a track toy...

Work needed was a new rad, free'd off all the brakes, 4 x new tyres, changed the cambelt water pump and cheap respray in satin black (£22) to tidy up the very worse for wear paint....

Engine bay tidied up,
33.jpg

34.jpg

Some fresh satin black!
26.jpg

30.jpg

Surprisingly it flew straight through the mot only needing a fog light bulb!!

So next on the agenda was the Nurbugring and i have taken it twice in the last month and its behaved and performed without a fault - only problem i've had is a noisy heat shield on the exhaust! not bad for almost 6k of driving and plenty of track abuse!

Oh and i added some camo!

P0933_26-07-09.jpg

S5000770.jpg

photo_46237_20090824.jpg

nurburg3.jpg

nurburg2.jpg

That's a good way to have a track car on the cheap.

Probably still under a grand all-in including new tyres and servicing bits, etc? Looks bloody good in the photos!

Clio 172 Cup
He was meant to be selling it as this is one of 6 cars he currently owns....but it seems like he will be keeping it now, he enjoys it a touch too much ;)

Evo
Wouldnt of been my first choice for reliable at the state of it, but she tidied up nicely lol.

Like the paint job.

Elise/VX220/R26
Brilliant!

Shame it didnt rain at the ring. The first time I went we met some guys who's done something similar and bought a GT4 off ebay for peanuts. They spent the whole weekend drifting it round a wet Nurburgring. Looked brilliant fun!

Ironically their pal who had an MR2 turbo he'd spent £1000s on broke down on the second day and limped home spewing smoke from the exhaust.

BMW 320 M Sport, 197
nice job...now where's my cheque book for a bargain for a 'ring car? A few guys I know have done something similar, like bought a Accord Type R, but had to leave it there as it was to worn out! lol