ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first race car build

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
So I picked this up on gumtree for £450 with the intention of turning it in to something I can race in the track day trophy in 2017 giving me a year to build it to a reasonable spec. I've spend most of my working life making parts for other people's cars and race cars so now it's my turn.
I've already got an alloy replacement bonnet and a bumper. Next step is the brakes upgrade the the suspension and bushing which I plan to machine myself using high end polymers from a customer we do work for. Anyway I'm looking forward to a good interesting year of work.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Good base project. Gotta love a bargain too. I picked up mine for sub £400.
Unfortunately not as talented though! Lol.
Look forward to seeing updates. :up:

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
I don't know if it was a bargain but I knew what I wanted to do which was tear it apart so was happy with £450. Although I've been involved in modified cars and racing cars I don't really know much about the workings of cars so it's gonna be a massive learning curve. I do know how to make parts though. Cheers

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Why track day trophy? Quite a lot of us on here are involved with the TARC Tricolore Trophy for French hot hatches, plenty of classes to cover various modifications and a great bunch to race with, definitely worth checking out.
Russ

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
Why track day trophy? Quite a lot of us on here are involved with the TARC Tricolore Trophy for French hot hatches, plenty of classes to cover various modifications and a great bunch to race with, definitely worth checking out.
Russ
I'm not fixed on that particular event I did look at the tin tops but looked to restricted so thought the trackday trophy seemed better. I will look in to the tricolore, as long as I'm racing I'm not fussed. Cheers

Renault Clio 172
I'm not fixed on that particular event I did look at the tin tops but looked to restricted so thought the trackday trophy seemed better. I will look in to the tricolore, as long as I'm racing I'm not fussed. Cheers
I ecco Russ's comment. TARC is a great bunch to race with, and we hardly ever hit each other, which is a bonus :) Unless @Tony Hunter is on track....

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
I ecco Russ's comment. TARC is a great bunch to race with, and we hardly ever hit each other, which is a bonus :smile: Unless @Tony Hunter is on track....
I've looked at there website but it doesn't seem to be up to date the calendar is quoting events in 2014. Is there another website?

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
image.jpeg
My future race car sitting pretty with my present race car. The Clio is getting closer to the workshop door now so good things can only be around the corner.

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
What made you go for b14s mate?!
I chose them as they were in my price range at the moment, I would rather buy good quality second hand than new cheap rubbish. I'm on a limited budget due to being a dad, got a money pit of a house and getting married next year. I'll probably get something fully ajustable next year but this will see my by until then.

Clio 172 ph1, mk7 r
image.jpeg
Few parts turned up today. Rear discs and a brand new ph1 air box from Renault. Who knew you can still buy these brand new for £82 I've been looking at buying a used one from eBay for £85. More bits arriving next week

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Ah, it was listed under 172, not V6. It has twin inlets, do they all have that? I thought the V6 only had one?