ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My friends TT in flames!!

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Well this was fun day out!!! NOT!

This is the result of my friends Audi TT 225 Roadster, remapped by APR with a K&N Panel Filter running 265bhp.

After taking a nice drive home from work, along the A50 from Stoke to Uttoxeter, ECU Warning light flashed breifly and the engine lost all power but was still running, then instantly come back. Thought nothing of it just thought it was a small error so continued driving. 500 Yards later the ECU light came on permantly, a large bang occured, took a look in the rear view mirror to see a huge amount of black smoke, followed by the engine cutting out totally. Because he was in 6th gear, it restarted its self as he was still in gear, and then alot more smoke piled out of the car. So he instantly pulled over not knowing what was wrong. To see a large amount of smoke coming out of the engine. So he lifted the bonnet to take a quick look and noticed that there were flames around the rear of the engiine (exhaust manifold area). Shut the bonnet, walked away to watch his car within seconds become a ball of fire and here are the pics.....i think he is rather gutted!!

ABCD0001.jpg

ABCD0002.jpg

ABCD0003.jpg

ABCD0004.jpg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Wish my car would do this, insurance premium would be cheaper than the work needed, looks rather nasty though!

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
The remap was done about a year ago, and the car has covered about 55k miles. So it isnt asif the remap has caused the problem.

Neither of us are mechanics so cant honestly say what we think may of happened other than tim said the Oil light flashed briefly before it going bang just after the first ecu flash but thought nothing of it...seconds later the ecu light stayed on and the car cut out....so he really hasnt got a clue. Unless the sump cracked or a gasket went, leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold and ignited as thats where the fire started???

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The way i look at it; One more TT not to have to look at.

*although i do feel for him, i'd cry like a newborn if that was my car*

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Atleast it happened in a lay-by right next to an SOS phone.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
The guy on the SOS phone was a waste of time, asking questions like have u called the fire brigade. So he ended up putting the phone down and calling 999 off his mobile instead.

He said SOS phones are disgraceful.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Yeah they were both insured mate, gladly he is one of the sensible ones who insures any modifications to the car. Dont think that would of made much difference now though. Just hope the insurance sorts it all quickly. But he has had no end of problems with the car to be honest in the 5 years of ownership. They have been mainly electrical though.

C250 AMG & 172 Cup
Hahaha, he didnt find me amusing when i started singing "buurn baby burrrn" at him!!

Ahh well only a car....and like ya said interiors fine so maybe a cat b repariable pmsl.

cli o16v
he has been on the insurance today, and hes been to see the car......he has fresh pics.. i would very much doubt its repairable, the engine has actually melted..lol...he now has a ford KA, he says its rapid. super

VX220 Turbo
saw the mark on the road just on my way home from work wondered what caused it looked at the pic and realised it was the tt's engine!

not good at all at least you both got out of it.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Bet your mate's gutted!

By the sound of it though, I wonder if one of his turbo oil feed pipes had bust/dropped off and sprayed oil onto the exhaust... would tie in with seeing oil warning light, then fire....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so he can get a proper car now and let the hairdressers rest in piece......

sorry to hear this in all seriousness, must of been gutting, as for whether the mods where declaired or not, (i know they should be an his where) but really would it matter in an accident like this, would the insurance really be able to tell...lol

so he can get a proper car now and let the hairdressers rest in piece......

Yeh,

Hopefully he can get a ''butch'' and well built French car next with great engineering and body strength.

If the insurance pay up, he should be able to get 2 of Renault tanks. :rolleyes:

al

ST on the way...
Hahaha, he didnt find me amusing when i started singing "buurn baby burrrn" at him!!

Ahh well only a car....and like ya said interiors fine so maybe a cat b repariable pmsl.

FPMSL ^^

IIRC If it's a cat B it has to be broken for parts and the shell crushed.

Gutted tho!! :S