ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Monaco Blue Phase 2 172 Project

Integra Type R
While i'm on the computer i may as well stick up a project log for my 172.

I've had many Vauxhalls and recently parted with my much loved self built XE Corsa.

So bought an E36 325 M3 Rep after selling the XE Corsa, but i just wasnt feeling the love for it.

Stuck it up for sale and a mate phoned me saying he knew a boy who was BMW daft and had bought a 172 but didnt like it if i was interested, so we met up i loved the Clio and he loved the BMW, keys and documents were exchanged and we parted ways.

The 172 is in need of some love, but i worked as a mechanic at the local Renault dealership for 3 years so i dont see that being an issue :cool:

Parked it on the drive immediatly as i wasnt happy with 3 things -

Lower dogbone mount bushes were fucked.
Auxiliry belt had worn down from 5 ribs to 3 and didnt look healthy at all.
Speedo isnt working.

Got on the blower to my mate who's still working at Renault, he priced me up a genuine timing belt kit & genuine auxiliry belt kit, they were ordered immediatly.

Ordered some Powerflew bushes for the lower dogbone mount.

So here it is how i bought it.

786f3833.jpg

d9b64b85.jpg

Wee parcel -

ad99b570.jpg

And fitted -

eaf5ee11.jpg

Also fitted my Alpine headunit, i also still have the 'old faithful' Alpine i bought when i passed my test in 06, shame its not iPod compatible or it'd still be my primary unit.

3af50d67.jpg

Couple of my mates were off on Friday past and waiting on my belts coming in and my mate being able to borrow the engine locking tools for the weekend we had a cleaning session at my bit.

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

So Saturday past i went up to my mates farm where we get the use of his shed in exchange for mutual respect.

Arrived (The furthest i've driven the car, best 4 miles i've drove :lol:)

IMG_2579.jpg

Some of the parts -

IMG_2591.jpg

State of the auxiliry belt (Upon removal it became apparent the alternator was sitting like a bag of s**t)
IMG_2580.jpg

Timing belt had seen better days (And was also fitted the wrong way round, your meant to be able to read the writing from where i was standing, it was facing the engine)
IMG_2583.jpg

Cams locked up, crank pinned -

IMG_2590.jpg

Various during shots.

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

Timing belt is all done, i removed the alternator to investagate it's ill fitment.

Found that both of the mountings points were damaged and had been cowboy'd back together, which would explain the chewed belts.
So it's currently up in my mates shed in bits awaiting replacement mounts. :(

I dont know why someone would put it back together like this.
IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

And the mount in the left of this picture is broken on the top left corner :mad:
IMG_2592.jpg

Fear not, i would rather do the job right, and the car is not in the way where it is.

Luckily i get collected for my new job so there no rush to get it rebuilt, parts are in transit anyway.

That brings us up to today.

Plans are -

To refurb the wheels.
K Tec solid upper engine mounts (There on the way out)
Remove LPG system.
Replace gearbox (Some TW@T has fitted a later gearbox with no speedo drive)

And i'll take it from there, probably upgrade the speakers and fit a sub.

Integra Type R
All required parts arrived and its now fully assembled and in use :)

Didnt take pics of the rebuild as it was too cold for pissing about.

Loving it so far.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
*Monaco frieeeeend*

Budgie has some bits you might need up for sale if you get in quick chap ;)

Just a little pointer about the claying - use about 1/2 of 1/3 of that .. if you drop it, it's game over but if it's only 1/3 of the bar you've no need to waste another one :)

Hope it's all resolved soon !!

Integra Type R
Thanks for the comments.

Main reason for doing the belts was because i worked as a tech at Renault and at least once they are done thats them out the way and for the peace of mind, i got the parts at staff price too which helped.

I have a couple of claybar's i've gathered over time, already lost one through dropping in a puddle lol.

Sadly the belts & roadtax drained my last pennys but i started a new job today so i will no doubt be throwing more money at it over the coming weeks to get it perfect for the summer.

I'll need to join the club so i can browse the classifieds.

Thanks for the heads up and the comments guys.

Integra Type R
Small update, had it back together for about 10 days and really enjoying it.

Need new starter relay ASAP though.

Took the Renault & Sport badges off, just screamed Halfords badge at me :lol:

5cad0af6.jpg

391b8b01.jpg

Out and about in the recent good weather.

f8d9cc86.jpg

80ceb944.jpg

BMW M135i
That dogbone is fitted upside down and you're supposed to remove all of the old subframe end bush before fitting the new one.

Can tell you used to work at renault ;).

Integra Type R
That dogbone is fitted upside down and you're supposed to remove all of the old subframe end bush before fitting the new one.

Can tell you used to work at renault ;).

Yeah i did notice i had put it one upside down after i took the picture i've flipped it the other way now.

I dont get what you mean about removing all the subframe end bush ? The old bushes were fully removed, and i was left with the bare mount minus bushes ? Maybe the picture isnt very clear.

It has been about 14 months since i wore the blue & yellow overalls. (Thankfully :quiet:)

BMW M135i
Might just be the picture but looks like the metal outer of the subframe end bush is still in place with just the rubber removed.

BMW E30 325iiiiii
Might just be the picture but looks like the metal outer of the subframe end bush is still in place with just the rubber removed.

the man knows wat he's doing, I'd happily let him work on any of my cars...and all he requires in payment is a pint and a sookie, by them fecking ITBs cunto!!

182FF
It was pissing down with rain, i was soaked to the f**king skin, i took a picture, realised what i had done in haste, corrected it and went inside to dry off.

Sheesh :rolleyes:
The forums a bit bitchy and make sure you dont spell anything wrong otherwise you will be hung!

Integra Type R
Yeah i've noticed that reading through certain topics but hey it's only the internet at the end of the day, not going to cry over it.
A bit disencouraging when i've only recently started to regularly use the site & paid for membership :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
80ceb944.jpg

how do you change gear with the seat that far back. or see over the steering wheel. i find that 1st 3rd and 5th are a fair throw and actually had to move my seat forward from where i would normally sit as i got back pains from it. and im 6ft.

Last edited: