ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My RenaultSport Clio 172 Phase 1 on Piston Heads now reduced to £1250

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Can somebody give me a realistic indication of what this is worth so I can weigh up whether there's any point in selling it?

I thought £1250 was more than fair, have had a bit of interest but not as much as I thought it would attract. When people come to see the car they expect it to be concourse or something ... it's an 11 year old French hot hatch ffs. There's no rust, it's mot'd, taxed, had a replacement lower mileage engine, no rips inside, drives well, smooth, fast, lots of new consumables and needs nothing doing to it!

I'm not going to, but to be honest, it's more tempting to smash it up with a sledge hammer just for fun than take any less than this, it's peanuts especially considering what's been done to it. I think I'd get more money from breaking it.

Nick

Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
its worth £1250 all day long , could get more than that breaking it , just hold out someone will buy it , dont take any offers at that price as well , as it seems a very very good price

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 172
I would buy that at £1200 all day long looks a tidy example, I paid £1600 quid for mine 6 months ago and that needed a bit of tidying up, new bonnet etc,

how long have you had it advertised for?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Cheers Nick. Actually the guy that came yesterday text me back today and reckoned it was worth the money and would be ok for 95% of buyers but he was only put off by the exhaust as he does quite a long commute. It's not loud but louder than standard as is a non genuine part. How many phase 1's out there have an oe Renault exhaust though? They prob cost a fortune! It's still a stealth exhaust, in my opinion it sounds nice, not obtrusive but each to his own I guess. Will hold out for a bit then, won't reduce it any more I'll just keep it if need be. Might have 1 last try on eBay if unsuccessful on here.

Even people at work that aren't looking for a car are getting tempted by this price!

Nick
Nick

Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd have bought that TBH.

I can only think that people are put off by the replacement engine. But it's worth that money. Try eBay?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Thanks Setone. Good to know I've got it at about the right price. It's been on pistonheads for quite a while, month and half buy at 1500. Was also on eBay for a week but only been on here for a few days.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
More people are posting as I'm trying to reply on iPod. Cheers guys, I thought I was going mad for a bit though!

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
It's crazy value for money, i would take it straight off you but the only thing putting me off is document's, things like engine age and timing belt etc Im sure all is in check but it can be quite a bit risk if the belt gives up.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2503771.htm

Just trying it one last time at £1250, am loathed to sell at that but could do with the cash I suppose. If it doesn't go for that I'll be keeping it as my winter car though!

If you have any questions ask away.

Cheers

Nick

id break it, these fetch £800 quids smashed easily with a few dents if it was me wouldnt mention nothing abt engine change on ebay, there are loads and loads out there with replacement engine's but no mention of it; espeically at main dealers

for £1250 there should mention of the price and nothng else, i bet ppl are thinkin its too good to b true, chaps spent close to £3k and wants to get rid at a measly 1200 quids so a possible money pit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trader Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I paid £1300 for my X plate one on 70k. The guy had owned it for 10 years and was all original apart from Koni suspension. Not perfect, couple of scratches as you would expect and it needed a belt change. Yours should easily sell for that much, especially if you have evidence of the belt change.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Hopefully this doesn't sound like a rant, just trying to put things in perspective ... it's an 11 year old hot hatch and it's for peanuts really!

In my opinion the engine age doesn't really matter. It can't actually be much older than the original engine, so any newer is a bonus which is the only reason I mentioned it. I could have just kept it to myself but the fact that it's done 36,000 miles less than the old one, I think is a good thing! Timing belt, yeah it's a risk, but in this case it's a very small risk. The worst that can happen is, it snaps and bends valves - so you can either then sell the car with the known engine problem - worth about £600 (so you've only lost £650) or, you repair it or put a new engine in - about £650. Either way, I don't see that as a large risk, I lost £4,000 in 9 months on my 2nd hand BMW 1 series and there was nothing wrong what-so-ever with that! Add to that the cost of an oil & brake fluid service for £329!

Incidentally, the timing belt didn't snap on my original engine, one of the pulleys shattered which is difficult to account for. The timing belt, despite being the original, was nowhere near snapping. It's the risk I took though, and I paid the price, it cost me £450 for the replacement engine, another £80 for the aux belt kit and £90 for the clutch (so they wouldn't have to be done now). The car cost me £2100 in the first place from a dealer, then I had to spend about £400 on other parts - suspension, brakes all around, wheel bearings, exhaust. All of these things can go on any car at any time so they are risks you have to take in my opinion. If you're considering buying a car like this, at this price, you should probably expect to spend money on it, unfortunately they aren't driven like 1 lady owner fiestas! If people are overly concerned about a timing belt, guess they should do the first thing my mate does when he buys a new car and get it changed. I took the gamble, and it cost me about the same to repair as it would have cost to get the belt changed - but I got a much newer engine out of it at the same time. With this one though, much of the risk is removed as I've already spent the money for the next owner! The only reason for me selling it is because it's not being used.

So hopefully I'll get the £1250, if not I'll just enjoy it myself and share the mileage between 2 cars I guess!

Nick

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Cheers 197 and Daveski - sounds like you found a good un there. I agree and have pretty much illuded to it above. I don't have evidence of the cambelt change but if someone is that bothered about it, they can get it done for peace of mind. Not many cars do have evidence of having belts changed in my experience, people don't like doing it as it's a big lump of cash!

You're right, If I need to re-advertise on ebay I might not bother mentioning the engine change and all I've done to it. People don't really need to know, I was trying to be as honest as possible and I saw these things as positives but it's strange the way peoples minds work.

I'll just keep it to basics, mention the overall condition, 3 months tax, 4 months MOT etc.

It's getting me wound up and I know it shouldn't really because getting £1200 isn't going to make a big difference to me really - don't get me wrong, it'd be nice to have a bit of extra cash but the longer it goes on and the more I reduce it the more reluctant I am to sell it because I know what I've put into it over the last year!

Trader Rating - 100%
16   0   0
just hold out , someone will view and snap it up , the problem with clio's is there are 100's available to view , there are a lot of rough ones out there as well , i viewed a fair few rough one's throughout the last few weeks , managed to find myself a absolute bargain in the end though and the car was mint , 182 cup with 90k , full service , janspeed exhaust with ktec sports cat , k tec drilled discs front and rear , ktec remap , recent belts and head rebuild , for £2300 with a 12 month ticket , yours will sell , would be ideal for someone after one for a trackcar , if it were me i would just keep it and enjoy it , as for £1200 you would never find anything as good fun and good of a car !!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Cheers, have put it back on ebay last night starting £0.99 with a reserve of £1199 stating just mileage, tax & test good condition etc. People can ask the questions if they're interested. Last chance, otherwise am definitely keeping it lol!

Nick, sounds like you've got a great bargain there. It's some car for the money. 182s have a lot of kit too. Was just looking at some!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I forwarded your for sale add on to 2 members on here because I thought the car was a freaking bargain and all 3 of us thought it would have gone staright away.

What I would say is if that had standard wheels on it i'd pay £1400 due to it being a nice clean example. The engine wouldn't put me off. An engine is an engine at the end of the day.

It might put other people off though and they'll look elsewhere before buying your one.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I think it's great value for money at £1250 mate, I paid twice that for my mint phase 1 less than a year ago.

However there are a few things that will put potential buyers off... 1.Non standard alloys. I love the OZ F1's and wouldn't have wanted my car without them. 2. The engine replacement will for whatever reason, put some people off, regardless of the lower mileage. 3. The photo's could be a little better, taken in better light etc.

Having said this, they are getting a comlpete bargain with this car, so shouldn't be too fussy. good luck with the sale.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Cheers for that mate, yeah it's a shame about the wheels. Seem like hens teeth the 15's though. So it's about the right price then considering non standard wheels.

Recaro - what you paid isn't bad if it's mint though. As I said, I paid £2100 a year ago but I'd sold my other car so needed a car badly that weekend! I wasn't even looking at Clios but when I realised they were in my price bracket as soon as I drove it, it was sold!!! Should have looked around more at the time really!

Yeah think you're right about the wheels but hopefully the price reflects that now. Might try to get some better pics now the light is a bit better then.

This is it's last chance though - today I've even been looking at bits to buy for it if I keep it! Fancy lowering it nicely with a coil over kit and a new set of alloys just to smarten it up - that's crazy talk really but I do love it!

Thanks for the support guys, feel better even if it doesn sell now ha.

Nick

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Sold - me and the wife are quite sad to see it go, esp for that price! Looks like it's gone to a good home though.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Indeed it has, I shall look after her ;) quite shocked at the MPG was seeing 52 yesterday driving in town ! Then again I drive like a pussy xD

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Good good! You didn't reset it whilst driving did you? That's cheating ... lol. Best I manged driving like a pussy was 44 I think!

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
haha yeah did a quick reset but it was quite a long drive, managed it over 60 miles or so ! think i'm getting around 34ish on mixed driving, just spent the whole day cleaning her up <3