ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My very honest Review of the RS tuner 98 ron map !

BG 182FF
Read lots about these but never really took much notice of it.
can anyone enlighten me as to what it actually is? And how its applied? How do you buy an unlock code and map??
would appreciate some more Info.

Very good little write up BTW. It's made me look into it so you're doing something right lol

Sorry to hijack this thread but it's related! Just didn't want to waste space with another thread.
I know someone who has a tuner to sell for £110. A brand new tuner will set me back £169 after conversion.
The license alone for these things is £75 anyway so I figured I'd just buy a new one.

It says on the site it comes with a map with my purchase.

"Fastchip Stage1 map is included with every purchase that will give instant performance gains between 1-40 Horsepower (depending on the car type) , over stock levels."

Is this the 98ron map? Because if so it's cheaper just to purchase a brand new tuner and to hang onto it incase I fancy fitting a decat and adding the pikey pops and bangs mod.

In terms of how to apply a map to the car, there is an easy to follow rs tuner guide on the first page of the guides section.

Last edited:

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Ok, I'm a bit slow on this subject. Where do I buy one ? and who fits it ? and how much ?
doh' wish I I'd read the above post :(

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You weren't serious were you? This has been discussed more times than ep3vs172, best tyres, how fast have you gone, best exhaust, etc lol

On another note I made a mistake on the licencing costs. It is around £40 for one for the Clio 2 and works out around £30-40 cheaper to go the 2nd hand route. Plus let's not forget you can just sell the tuner on again once you're done. :rasp:
​I also got an RS Tuner off a member on here earlier this evening so I've gone the 2nd hand route. :p If all goes to plan mine will be for sale tomorrow night!

Last edited:
On another note I made a mistake on the licencing costs. It is around £40 for one for the Clio 2 and works out around £30-40 cheaper to go the 2nd hand route. Plus let's not forget you can just sell the tuner on again once you're done. :rasp:
​I also got an RS Tuner off a member on here earlier this evening so I've gone the 2nd hand route. :p If all goes to plan mine will be for sale tomorrow night!

Snap mate I bought mine second hand off a member on here , it set me back around £80 because mine is a VERY early one that does NOT support pop and bang (didn't fuss me at all really)

If you buy second hand ones it works out you need the unlock code and the Map of your discretion , mine being the 98 Ron of course ,

For these both it comes to £75 , so all in all it cost / owed me £155 !

Now as said you can always re sell the tuner , depends on what model between £80-£120 so you can claw the money back and let's be honest a remap for -£100 is still pretty damn cheap !

When I converted the new price , it was more like £200 ! So make your own opinions !

If you want less hassle , get a new one that is already unlocked and comes with a free map anyway !

For the website it's http://www.fastchip.nl/

Hope this clears it up :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
My car was mapped at RS tuning.. If I was to bang an RS tuning map on it how do I go about going back to orginal map etc? And would I see benefits as I see people saying it smooths the revs out a lot, now mine aren't smooth at all currently.

Snap mate I bought mine second hand off a member on here , it set me back around £80 because mine is a VERY early one that does NOT support pop and bang (didn't fuss me at all really)

If you buy second hand ones it works out you need the unlock code and the Map of your discretion , mine being the 98 Ron of course ,

For these both it comes to £75 , so all in all it cost / owed me £155 !

Now as said you can always re sell the tuner , depends on what model between £80-£120 so you can claw the money back and let's be honest a remap for -£100 is still pretty damn cheap !

When I converted the new price , it was more like £200 ! So make your own opinions !

If you want less hassle , get a new one that is already unlocked and comes with a free map anyway !

For the website it's http://www.fastchip.nl/

Hope this clears it up :)

What the site doesn't mention is delivery costs which adds another €20 to the cost easy. Second hand means waiting a bit longer but it seems to have paid off and I'm selling my tuner for £100 tonight anyway so all I've paid for is the map and the licence. :rasp:

I agree first hand ownership would have been far less hassle - but I'm penny pinching this month! Plus I got very lucky that the guy who I bought it off lived 10 minutes away.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
My car was mapped at RS tuning.. If I was to bang an RS tuning map on it how do I go about going back to orginal map etc? And would I see benefits as I see people saying it smooths the revs out a lot, now mine aren't smooth at all currently.

depends if RS Tuning have protected the map, if not, you can make a backup of your current ECU firmware and cal before flashing Hanks maps. If you mean 'how do I get my car back to the standard 182 map first', you use a OEM .rst file which you can either get form Henk or form someone on here. The most popular is 8200_7804.

OK so, the map is on. The car pulls a damn sight harder than it did and the kick at 5k is now gone. The power feels far more distributed throughout the range which is nice.
I'm embarrassed to say I'm getting used to the throttle all over again as it feels far more sensitive than what it once was but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Other than that, I'm enjoying the map. :)

On a bit of private road where I can hoon it a little it's reaching higher speeds considerably quicker than before so all in all, a good purchase!

Quick question though regarding the car and I don't think it's anything to do with the map. When I first started the car, I found it's idle was bouncing constantly between 1k and 2k rpm which suffice to say is incredibly embarrassing at junctions. Once warmed up it was fine and idled as it should. I let the car cool a bit and the problem presented itself again.
Anybody got any ideas before I start digging?

I quite like the refined sound of my 182. It's not 'dickhead loud' but it suits the car. I have a cone coming for it tomorrow (I wanted to make lots of noise for CSS) and you must understand I don't want it roaring for no good reason at the lights!

I'm embarrassed to say I'm getting used to the throttle all over again as it feels far more sensitive than what it once was but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Other than that, I'm enjoying the map.

Too sensitive, or just need getting used to ?

Last edited:
@Beasley

Nice writeup, you earned yourself a free module of choice. Please fwd me your MUC code at info@fastchip.nl
MUC code can be found under the 'modules' button.

98Nq5VnAyc4AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Last edited:
Too sensitive, or just need getting used to ?

Nothing I can't get used to. Getting used to it already so it's nothing I'm bothered about. Was purely an observation. :)
It feels easier to revmatch when driving. Might be placebo but it feels smoother.

Going to have a look into my idling issue tonight. Going to clean the throttle body and see if that helps.

​Only thing I'd have to observe (and I'm thinking it might actually be my car anyway) is it likes holding 2k rpm when I let off the throttle. It's not necessarily a bad thing and it does slow down, it just makes the car a bit harder to drive slowly! But I don't want to go into it too much because it may just be me being a doughnut. Probably should have done a few hundred miles before I said anything!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Going to have a look into my idling issue tonight. Going to clean the throttle body and see if that helps.

​Only thing I'd have to observe (and I'm thinking it might actually be my car anyway) is it likes holding 2k rpm when I let off the throttle. It's not necessarily a bad thing and it does slow down, it just makes the car a bit harder to drive slowly! But I don't want to go into it too much because it may just be me being a doughnut. Probably should have done a few hundred miles before I said anything!

that 2K thing could be due to the throttle body staying a bit too open when you let off. Give it a good clean like you said and see if things get better as it doesn't normally have this effect.

Throttle body cleaned and the idling problem seems to have largely gone away. Didn't have time to remove it and do a proper job as the light was fading.
I put a ktec induction kit on there last night while I was on the job and this combined with the map means my 182 pulls like mad.
​Very pleased :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Best mod you can do to a 1*2 imo drives sooo much better mines been done 3 years and been faultless.
No s**tty cold start running and lumpy idle when done either

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
You have to buy the license seperate. My only advice is become a member so you can see the guides etc