ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mysterious clio problem

Hi, I have a 99' Clio, 1.2 8v which has randomly stopped working. Came out of work to find it will turn over, but wont actually fire. Had the rac man out and he tested the coil pack ht leads, plugs and fuel system. I have a spark at each plug, and they smell of fuel after taking them out when trying to start it, so fuel is getting through, and each plug is definetly sparking. Only recently the car has been playing up by means of not starting, it will turn freely but wont fire straight away, but now it wont fire at all. any ideas anyone???

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
could be an imobiliser problem. My '98 had same problem, turned over but wouldnt start up. could also be a key problem? How does the red imobiliser light in the middle of the dash look when you try to start it, does it stay on constant or flash very fast? this can tell you the problem!!

Ive been thinking immoboliser, but as the injectors are firing and the spark plugs are sparking then the imobiliser probably isnt the problem. its sooo annoying though. the red light goes off when i try and start it, but what do you mean by key problems, are there batteries within the key, I have no central locking on the car btw.

Clio 2001 1.2 8v
some keys are engine immobilised, so if it does not read the key correct will not allow to start properly

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
There is a ring reciever at the ignition barrel, my dad's kangoo neede this replaced and a key at seperate times, both causing the same problems, the engine would turn over but wouldnt fire up. My mates megane done something similar, would turn over, but when u turned the key the imobiliser light flashed very fast. he needed a new key. each key has a chip even tho it it doesnt have central locking. the ring reciever picks up the signal to switch the imobiliser off. hope this helps you.

clio 172
Hi, I have a 99' Clio, 1.2 8v which has randomly stopped working. Came out of work to find it will turn over, but wont actually fire. Had the rac man out and he tested the coil pack ht leads, plugs and fuel system. I have a spark at each plug, and they smell of fuel after taking them out when trying to start it, so fuel is getting through, and each plug is definetly sparking. Only recently the car has been playing up by means of not starting, it will turn freely but wont fire straight away, but now it wont fire at all. any ideas anyone???

then the tdc senor plays up thats exactly what happens

Last edited:
  BG 182
Might not be an actual imobiliser problem..
as people have said on here, the tdc sensor could need replacing (or a clean).
i take it the RAC guy checked all the fuses.
failing that, it could simply be a dodgy earth wire?