ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a set of tyres - GDS3 or PE2?

Clio 172 Mk2
Just a quickie - I need a set of 4 tyres. Done a search of local suppliers and the cheapest price I got are

Goodyear F1 GSD3 - £72 per tyre fully fitted
Michelin PE2 - £80 per tyre fully fitted

All prices are for 195/45 R16

Anyone know of any place cheaper? Are the PE2s worth paying £32 more for a set?

Cheers

Golf GTI 1.8T
not sure whats better, but my PE2's saved me from hitting the arse of a tigra the other day :D

Clio 172 Mk2
Cheers for the advice guys.

Ive already had the PE2s and they were brilliant, but I think I might just save myself a bit of money and try out the GSD3s

R27 - 77/500
i got pirelli p zero neros on, think they r great, best tyres ive had yet specially in the wet

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
Just put a full set of GSD3s on the Ph-Quick. I'm not that impressed with them however they did stop me hitting a taxi driver that cut me up.
Personally when they were first on the car they felt very unstable.
Next time i will definately be putting Michelins on. Had Toyos on before and they were better than the GSD3s.
So pay the extra and go for the PE2s, I will be!

Clio 172 Mk2
^^^

Bah... had my heart set on GSD3s!

I loved my PE2s. Incredibly grippy in the dry, and excellent in the wet. Im thinking Ill get PE2s again lol.

Has anybody here had both GSD3s and PE2s? This elusive person would be best to compare them.

sw1

Clio 172
Have you tried blackcircles.com, I got some tyres through them last week, they partner with over 900 garages. I had a garage just down the road.

Blackcircles sent the tyres to them and they fitted them, dirt cheap and if you hunt around you can get a 10% discount voucher.

SLK 350
Well i had PE2's that i've just replaced with GSD3's (front only) and im very happy with them, in the wet they are a lot more short footed, no aquaplaining and for £30 per corner less - i'll take the GSD3 nex time too.

Very good tyre indeed, recommended.

Clio 172 Mk2
Shibber.... you say you have just put GSD3s on and they are unstable - perhaps they need to be worn down a little. When I first got my PE2s they were poor - slippy slidey, nearly losing the car 5 mins after leaving the tyre place! After about 500 miles, they really started to shine.

So far, I gather that both tyres are excellent. Both are good in the dry (PE2s perhaps better) and both are excellent in the wet (GSD3 better). One thing I noticed was that my PE2s made the steering sharper. And they ride quite firm. Ozzy - as youve had both, have you noticed the steering sharpness/ride any different after changing to GSD3s?

PE2s were excellent in the wet, but the GSD3s are probably THE best wet tyre. In England, perhaps its worth sacrificing a bit of dry grip for extra wet grip?

Last edited:
  Evo VI Tommi Makinen
Its a fair point mate. I've had GSD3s on others cars and could not fault them, hence why i went for them this time round on the Ph-Quick.
It just feels at the minute that the tread is moving around, especially under braking.
Maybe i'll go and check all the pressures, make sure the garage has set them alright...

Shibber.... you say you have just put GSD3s on and they are unstable - perhaps they need to be worn down a little. When I first got my PE2s they were poor - slippy slidey, nearly losing the car 5 mins after leaving the tyre place! After about 500 miles, they really started to shine.

So far, I gather that both tyres are excellent. Both are good in the dry (PE2s perhaps better) and both are excellent in the wet (GSD3 better). One thing I noticed was that my PE2s made the steering sharper. And they ride quite firm. Ozzy - as youve had both, have you noticed the steering sharpness/ride any different after changing to GSD3s?

PE2s were excellent in the wet, but the GSD3s are probably THE best wet tyre. In England, perhaps its worth sacrificing a bit of dry grip for extra wet grip?

BMW M135i
Love the GSD3s personally. Dead grippy if a little quick wearing as they're quite a soft compound, won't be buying anything else but them in the future.

SLK 350
Ozzy - as youve had both, have you noticed the steering sharpness/ride any different after changing to GSD3s?

To be honest I couldn't really comment accurately on the firmness issue, as I have coilovers and I tend to alter the settings now and then, but unofficially I think the GSD3 is a slightly more comfortable ride, the turn-in seems accurate and the wet weather performance is superb they still feel confident under wet conditions, where as the PE2's used to hydroplane, skip up, and get light on the steering.

I'ts certainly one of the better 'all-rounder' tyres for wet performance as tested by numerous magazines, although Uniroyal make some good purely wet weather performance tyres.

The time of year and the price was what swung it for GSD3's for me, we're got 5+ months of wet weather/bad conditions so I wanted a tyre that was at least competent in the rain (an area I feel PE2's can improve).

The only downfall of GSD3's apparently is because of the softer compound you can expect less miles than you'd get out of the PE2's.

You won't be disappointed mate, and im neutral on this issue.

(P.S The V-Shape tread also looks pretty aggressive compared to the design of asymetrical tyres like PE2's, they look meaner ;))