ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need More Weight OFF!!!

172 Silver Cup
I have managed to get my 172 down to 960kgs (With no one in it and quarter tank of fuel) but I want more! My goal is 900kg but where can I get the last 60kgs from?? Here is what I have done so far;

Rear totally stripped, no seats, no belts, no rear wiper etc all gone
Front I have fitted 2 Sparco bucket seats with alloy runners, sebelt harnesses.
All Door cards have gone and steering wheel airbag gone.

Few things I can think of is to remove the air con and passenger airbag. I could also remove the sound deadening but to be honest it looks like a pain in the ass so probably wont be doing that (as I don't have time and money to respray interior)

So question is how much will taking out the air con give me and what else can I remove??

sound deadening is an easy job, heatgun and wallpaper scraper, then white spirits to clean up the glue left behind..

other things are like battery as Cunney said, polycarbonate windows, lightweight wheels, etc.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I belive removing the AC is -10kg

Yeah a smaller battery is another thing.

Elcetric windows/mirrors?

172 Race Car
Loads to come off........

Lump of iron under the engine mount.
A/C (compressor and brackets, evaporator, switch to cup fan)
Sound deadening (heat gun and a scraper)
ECU Brackets Carbon Canister
One Horn
Bulkhead insulation removal both sides (Properly by taking out dash)
Dash face vent ducting
Door lock protector sheilds
Ali bonnet?
Lighter battery (here)

Easy to get them to 900kgs without a cage

TrackCar & F30 330d
Burp, is the carbon Canister the black box on the right hand side of the car infront of the right hand wheel? Can you just remove it?

IMG_3104.jpg

Also the Fule rail guard, get ride of that if you havnt allready.

172 Race Car
Yep, remove it and block all the pipes. It will put a fault in the ecu as its disconnected but shouldnt put the light on.

Fuel rail guard is another good one (unless you have a crash)

172 Silver Cup
Will have a look in engine bay, not sure what all the bits are you said but I can use my common-sense with a lot of it. Need to get battery in boot to give me more space too. Got a Ali Bonnet ;) Air-con I don't really know what I am doing with that so don't really want to cut off wrong pipes and stuff. Grrrr

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
remove fuel rail guard block....not mentioned above, exhaust heat shields too, single wiper conversion? airbags

sound deadening is a must i would say

340i
IIRC mine weighed in at 923KG, with standard front seats and half a tank of fuel...

You can get them to 900kg easily, when the bucket seats are fitted I would be surprised if I was just under 900kg?

Mine totally gutted inside...

all tar removed

all unnecessary wiring removed (2 carrier bags full!)

no rear seats / seatbelts

no door cards

no carpets

no airbags

cup alternator set up

cup spec blower

engine bay sound deadening removed

I also have a magnex exhaust system, which is pretty weighty, swapping this for a different system would save me a good 5kg I reckon!

you get the idea ;)

340i
The front seats weigh 33kg each iirc, then the seat belt mechaism must b a good 5g each TOTAL 75kg'ish

Bucket seats, 7kg each, side mounts 1kg each, subframes 4kg each? TOTAL 30KG'ish

Your saving around 35kg fitting bucket seats alone!

LY 172
if you have taken the plastic pannel of the boot. Cut off some of the metal. i dont think the boot needs to be so strong. ive seen a boot welded shut before and it was litteraly just the outer skin left

Clio 172 turbo
Loads to come off........

Lump of iron under the engine mount.
A/C (compressor and brackets, evaporator, switch to cup fan)
Sound deadening (heat gun and a scraper)
ECU Brackets Carbon Canister
One Horn
Bulkhead insulation removal both sides (Properly by taking out dash)
Dash face vent ducting
Door lock protector sheilds
Ali bonnet?
Lighter battery (here)

Easy to get them to 900kgs without a cage

Lump of iron under the engine mount ..... what actly is it ???

Civic Type S GT
Mate of mine had a clio williams he used for track days and his car was completely stripped, if it came out it came out (apart from the enigine and such things for obvious reasons as there are people out there who are very quick at commenting on things like that,lol!) he went for the lightweight alloys,new smaller fuel tank, battery and things, plastic windows and fibre glass bonnet and only had one lightweight bucket seat. Seemed to work for him.

Golf GTD Mk7
lightweight exhaust and alloys?(cat is a double one on the ph1 no? just get a straight through stainless) carbon fibre bonnet? remove acoustic valve and engine hoist points.

Golf GTD Mk7
Lump of iron under the engine mount ..... what actly is it ???

It's supposed to reduce vibration, but mine made no difference when out. Just take it out. You have to remove the DS engine mount to get to the bolt holding it on.

evilb66

ClioSport Club Member
  '02 172
front seats weigh 19kg each, not 33.
i have compiled a list on ozrenaultsport.com, but i will cut and paste it here

the 'how much do various bits weigh' thread

by evilb66 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:31 pm
mostly just for curiosities sake, but also useful for trackday weight improvements.
feel free to add to this list if you've weighed a component.

172 wheels with Pilot SX's - 15.6kg
seats - 18.5 kg each
toolkit was 4kg
182 wheels are ~9.5kg
172 15" wheels 8.2kg each (without tyre) with tyre 15.6kg
door trims - 3.6 kg each
a/c condensor + compressor - 8.5 kg
rear carpet - 6 kg (from under rear passengers knees to under drivers thighs)
A/C fan motor and heat exchange unit - 6kg (between speedo and firewall)
door stripped of accesories - 18.9 kg
tailgate with glass, and wiper motor - 15kg
front window glass - 4.1kg
xenon headlight with ballast, 2.8kg
plastic crash reinforcing in front bumper - 2kg
front wiper mechanism without wiper arms - 5kg
rubber backed foam lining on the firewall (behind the dash) 3.5kg
heater box (behind dash) 3.5kg
black tar stuff on the floor in the footwells and boot 3.5kg
tar on the roof above driver - 3.2kg

I also came up with an awesome way to remove the A/C without buying an expensive cup alternator mount. it can be done all up for under 50 pounds. mine has been fine after 2 seasons of circuit racing and hillclimbs.