ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some advice on using a das 6

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Hi guys,

Im new to all this detailing game and im justr wondering if someone could give me an idea of what products to buy such as polishes and pads etc. i have a kestrel das 6 and im confused on what products to use and what is best to go with certain items. I have a clio cup 172 in arctic blue. Could anyone tell me what they use on theres. I have tried to read guides and its all confusing me especially to do with stages. The paint work in itself is pretty good no swirl marks so im looking to make it pop!

Cheers

sorry for the terminology!

Macca:)

A slow blue one.
Whilst you're getting to grips with the basics you can't go wrong with some of the 3M polishes and pads. Get the different cutting polishes you want (heavy, medium and light) which have colour coded tops then match them with the same colour pads that 3M also do. Easy peasy!

The 3M range isn't that expensive and as long as you're not colour blind it's a snap.

70 & 72 Vw Bug...
I've done a fair bit of painting on my classics and used the das 6 with the sonus polishes and pads with good results, the sfx 1, 2 ,3 etc easy to follow etc. May take abit longer on harder modern paint but if your new to using them maybe thats for the best. either way you cant go wrong with 3m and with abit of practice maybe upgrade to a rotary buffer :)

Megane R26
I wouldn't start off with the MF system, I'd go with Megs 105 and 205 and a selection of CG Hex Logic pads.

3M doesn't work as effectively via DA and the pads will break up quickly - the system is designed for rotary use.

A slow blue one.
I wouldn't start off with the MF system, I'd go with Megs 105 and 205 and a selection of CG Hex Logic pads.

3M doesn't work as effectively via DA and the pads will break up quickly - the system is designed for rotary use.

You may be correct it's designed for rotary use but I can't agree that the pads break up quickly. Was at Pride & Performance in Preston and just to show how much wear a pad can take and to try and dispell the myths surrounding machine polishers (both D.A and Rotary) they used no product, a 3M pad on a scrap bonnet. After 20 minutes of concentrated polishing in the same place pressing down with enough pressure the paint on the bonnet gave way well before the pad, personally I was surprised it took that long considering it was a knackered MX5 bonnet.

However I definitely agree with you on the Hex Logic pads, they are second to none!

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
So you guys think if I go or the 3m stuff with the hex logic pads I should be ok, also what would be the next step after this should I just wax it to seal it in? Sorry guys but I'm Trying o make sense of it all

A slow blue one.
Yes to the hex logic pads from me, they are absolutely fantastic.
Try this link...http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Hex_Logic_Self_Centered_Buffing_Polishing_Pad_p/bufx_107hex5.htm
It gives you a break down of the sort of hex-logic pads you can get and what they all do, it may seem mind-boggling at first but I started with the orange medium-heavy cutting pad, the green heavy polishing pad and the white medium-light polishing pad. Unless your paint is in absolutely horrific condition I'd say you've got all the bases covered there.

Here's something I've just thought of but I would like other peoples opinion on it first, Dodo Juice lime prime? It negates the need for three of four different polishes and because it has abrasive qualities depending on which pad macca used it with surely that could cover most light-medium swirl marks. Even if there were swirl marks surely he could use a good wax with fillers to mask any light swirls? What does everyone think?

PS. Macca I've got a load of Zaino products I'm thinking of getting rid of to make way for new gear, do a bit of a search online for their stuff and if your interested I'll drop you a PM as a heads up when I get round to posting it in the for sale section if you want?

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Its all doing my nut in its like a mine field! I just wish someone would say you need this lol. Reading all i can about all sorts. My paint work isnt really too bad there are slight swirls. In my case looking at the hex logic pads i think medium to light to start, then onto blue, black then finally red?

AJ would the stuff your selling be everything i would need? Drop me a Pm, ill have a good think.

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Also been looking at the Poorboys stuff, ssr2 etc opinions?

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Would you guys recommend poorboys ssr range then final polish with poorboys white diamond?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I was the same as you .. didn't know where to start. There's WAAAAY too many combinations and permitations and I've just put it off for years !

I recently bought this: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?598772-How-hard-can-it-be

Seems to be OK for me.. basically a hard, medium and fine (finishing) cut pad, and a 6/10 cut & 1/10 finishing polishs.

Go buy a couple of bits and see how you get on :)

Its all doing my nut in its like a mine field! I just wish someone would say you need this lol. Reading all i can about all sorts. My paint work isnt really too bad there are slight swirls. In my case looking at the hex logic pads i think medium to light to start, then onto blue, black then finally red?

I did, weeks ago, see above !

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Cheers evil, it looks like you did a proper good job with yours think i might try what you have.

A slow blue one.
Cheers evil, it looks like you did a proper good job with yours think i might try what you have.

Come to think of it that's possibly the best option.
When it comes to detailing I was fortunate to have someone in the family already practicing it so picked up most of my techniques/knowledge off them. Although I can totally understand asking for advice you're going to get so many people with totally different opinions, there's not really any cut and dry answer to which products/polishes/waxes (apart from hex-logic pads :cool:) are the best. Try that set that evil used, when you've got a little bit of experience under your belt you'll be finding you try different products and your arsenal quickly takes over all the space in your shed/garage. Eventually you'll find a particular brand that suits you and your budget, just dive right in! Just give the polisher a try on a scrap panel first so you get used to the sensation/weight of the polisher and let us know how you get on mate!

macca6

ClioSport Club Member
  megane r26, 172 cup
Cheers guys, well after much discussion and spending to my local detailers. I have bought some poorboys ssr1, black hole and some nattys wax. To go with this I have got some menzerna pads orange an yellow to start me off. I plan to get the rest of the pads next month aswell as some other bits and pieces. I am moving into my first house next week so I'm hoping to get the car in the garage and have a go. I plan to do the bonnet first as it need repainting anyway due to stro e chips so this will be my guinea big part and I'll go from there and show u guys probably where I'm going wrong or what other products you recommend to go with what I have. Poorboys seem to fit my purpose an my budget for now! It's all trail and error and looking forward to finding out for myself.