ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network design/planning

185lb/ft dCi
fellas fellas fellas, they haven't stated a budget. to clear everything up this is the scenario......

Architects Incorporated” is a newly formed organisation founded as a result of the merger of four companies. You have been employed as the Network Manager. As part of your functions, you are expected to design the new organisation network and implement your design in order to guarantee networking resources to the organisation.
The organisation has leased two two-storied buildings situated on 10 square miles of nature reserve park. The distance between each of the buildings is approximately 500 meters. A river traverses the park, and steel bridges give access from one side of the river to the other.

The structure of the organisation is as follows:
Departments:

• Management: 23 employees including one manager per department 35
  • Human resources: 10 employees 15
  • Finance: 12 employees 18
  • Marketing: 5 employees 8
  • Design: 150 employees 225
  • Development: 200 employees 300
  • Quality assurance: 25 employees 38
  • Computer Network services: 10 employees 15
  • Library: 4 employees 6
  • Canteen: 5 employees 8

With the exception of the Canteen, all other employees will have their own PC connected to the company network, intranet and the Internet.
Servers are going to be deployed in order to host shared files and central software applications, in addition to hosting central databases, e-mail facilities and Web services. It is your decision where to locate them.
Network printers should be accessible at least one per department, although, large departments should have a ratio of 1 printer per 15 employees. Please be aware that other printing devices might be needed depending on the characteristics of individual departments.

1- Explain the requirements gathering process and the assumptions you will take in the present scenario in order to design the network. (Provide relevant diagrams illustrating your assumptions, including floor plans).
2- Assuming a company growth of 50 % in the next 5 years, design the computer network for the organisation including:
a) Physical and logical topology designs with IP addressing scheme
b) Devices needed (only type of device, nor vendor specific) and where will they be located.
3- Draw appropriate policies for the network traffic justifying your decisions and providing appropriate documentation.
4- Discuss network security threats for the organisation and evaluate possible solutions. Provide appropriate documentation, including device configurations if appropriate.
5- Design strategies and plans for network and performance monitoring and disaster management.
6- Brief report to the Board justifying your decisions.
7- Bibliography.

All the information should be presented in a folder with no more than 10 double sided A4 sheets of paper excluding diagrams and tables. There are no limits on the number of diagrams and / or tables included provided they are in the Appendices separate from the main body of the report.

NOTE: All information presented should be relevant to your scenario and consistent with your assumptions.

Better than yours. C*nt.
All of the above 3 points really.

My reaction to how this has gone is to suggest outsourcing the design, specification and implementation... Which we do, if you're interested?!

I just think there's a lot of areas which aren't being thought about and a definite lack of knowledge. I appreciate not everyone is as geeky as some of us but for someone who's been tasked with designing a corporate network of 500+ users to not know what a chassis switch is what set my alarm bells off...

185lb/ft dCi
yeah i study ethical hacking and network security in final year, so i like to find flaws in things, probably why i was blagging on about security earlier. (proper security, not just access control lists :dead:)

this is one of the pieces of work i have to do for a network management module. networking used to be my thing but then as i didn't study cisco, i'm lacking abit.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Right - so you're a student/studying networking?

It's not real Mike, I thought you twigged that already :p

Doesn't look like you need to be anywhere near as indepth as the majority of us are explaining anything either, so that's nice

Their scenario does have holes in it, though. Clearly written by someone that's only ever implemented a home network :p

More editing \o/ - Will you need to show where you'd run the fiber between buildings?

Chelsea tractor
The organisation has leased two two-storied buildings situated on 10 square miles of nature reserve park.
Not IT related, and I hate to be a pedant, but you may have to look into whether you can dig it up to lay fibre between buildings. Especially if it's a conservation area you would need to be very careful with what you do as there may be certain restrictions.
Please be aware that other printing devices might be needed depending on the characteristics of individual departments.
You'd need plotters etc for the design team I would imagine?

Doesn't look like you need to be anywhere near as indepth as the majority of us are explaining anything either, so that's nice

Their scenario does have holes in it, though. Clearly written by someone that's only ever implemented a home network :p

More editing \o/ - Will you need to show where you'd run the fiber between buildings?

hence i said at the beginning these questions are all b****cks

185lb/ft dCi
Not IT related, and I hate to be a pedant, but you may have to look into whether you can dig it up to lay fibre between buildings. Especially if it's a conservation area you would need to be very careful with what you do as there may be certain restrictions.

You'd need plotters etc for the design team I would imagine?

well one way would be to go under the bridge and use that to get across the river, and assume you are allowed to dig to bury the cables. however i thought going through the air would be a better idea, similar to a telephone line pole. this would get around the risk of any floods occuring and damaging the cables.

plotters possibly, don't know if they want to go that deep, printers would probably just do, could put it in though

185lb/ft dCi

lol written by someone who has a phd in networking, and has been lecturing for about 20 years in it. but like you said, real world knowledge = zero.

for the last part, see post above.

185lb/ft dCi
which ones, all they would say is, its up to you. do you think the second diagram i drew would be sufficient enough?