ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 cup owner in Dorset

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all! New Clio 172 cup owner - 52 plate with 60k on the clock. Most of the things that usually go wrong have been replaced (belts, exhaust, engine mounts, rear wheel bearings... don't anyone say "just leaves the clutch and gearbox then"!), mondial blue, what's not to like. Previous owner has added a spare wheel as well, meaning I can legitimately claim this as a practical purchase ;).

So far with just a days commuting done I can see this club is going to be useful:
- Discovered why the previous owner kept a CD in it. Radio reception is awful. Replacement aerial base required?
- I park on a sloped drive at home. Result: Discovered the handbrake needs adjusting, as it's awfully high
- Headlights are going hazy. I'd seen this was fairly common from previous investigations, however I expected the headlights to feel a bit rough as a result. They still feel smooth. Is this normal, or does this mean they're going hazy on the inside?
- I have a 172 cup sticker/badge under the clio badge on the back. Am I right in thinking this isn't standard? Any guidance on the best method of removal appreciated..

Looking forward to getting more into membership as I get more into the car :). Off to explore the guides now...

Clio 172 cup
I would strongly recommend the 3m headlight restoration kit.. this will get rid of all the haze on the headlights and make them look brand new! best thing I have purchased

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks ask for the kind welcome and advice.

​! Sean 172! - looks like car has spent its life in Bournemouth, but I'm a deeper into Dorset than that... Country side commute ftw

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
That's where these cars perform the best on some twisty country roads lol . By any chance did u get ur car from Christchurch nr Bournemouth

172 Cup
Welcome.
Find radio reception is ok (not great) on mine, the auto tune stops on weak signals (wish I could adjust this?).
Could be worse, my CD player makes horrible noises and occasionally stops working.
Will check mine Re rear sticker later. I have a flipping nurburg ring on mine, will be attempting to remove it with a hot air gun (on low!) hopefully this evening if my brake light arrives.
Spare wheel is superfluous weight, get breakdown cover instead (the membership card will add a few grammes but it's worth the trade-off for the added practicality).

Hello fellow cup owner and south west person :)

I think the cup sticker is standard on the back. Mine had one before the numbers fell off lol. As mentioned the 3m kit will sort out your headlights for £15 or so. I changed the aerial base on mine as the radio didnt work at all. Works better now but still not great, probably the stupid short aerial I have in there.

​Oh get some pictures up :)

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Welcome from another cup owner, the cup badge on the back aint standard. Quite a few people add it on the back

Like me :)

Enjoy her they are great cars

172 Cup
I have the "Cup" bit on mine but not the "172" bit. It looks like it should be there to me???
Although the Cup badge is overshadowed by the Cup reg :3

Clio 172 Cup
What a friendly place! Thanks all.

So the service light and airbag light came on today, uh oh. Thanks to trawling this site before purchase I made a bee line for under the passenger seat and fiddled with the connectors. No change. Parked up, did my shopping, fiddled under the seat some more, turned the ignition on - and all better. That counts as fixed, right?

Few (more) questions to make sure "they all do that sir":
- After every journey, no matter how short, the car pinks when the engine is switched off. Sound seems to come from under the car, rather than the engine. I'm blaming the k-tec stealth exhaust.... Anything to worry about?
- dead ahead position the steering wheel seems a few degrees off centre. Just one of those things?
- if anyone can explain the different displays the computer cycles through that would be appreciated. Can work out some but not all....

Thanks once again

Last edited:

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
May see you around, I'm in Christchurch.

As for your problems:

What do you mean by pinks? Do you mean stinks?

The steering wheel in mine is dead center, I've seen people talk about the steering wheel being out from the tracking/alignment being done incorrectly, there was a thread I saw about it earlier today, so have a search for it - I often find if you're searching a long phrase then searching for the phrase then putting Cliosport on the end in a Google search is better than using the sites search box - it seems to find more relevant posts - this might just be me though

As for the cycles, they should be fairly obvious - in no particular order there's milage, total distance traveled, mpg, range until you need fuel and a few others I think I'm forgetting.

172 Cup
Probably just your exhaust cooling down mate, although I have a K-Tec stealth and haven't noticed it particularly, my old car was worse for it.
I don't know about the airbag wires but I found one of the connectors for my high level brake light was a bit wibbly, the female pins tend to get slack with age :)3). The short term fix is to tuck some thin bits of wire in to pad things out. Don't know about sourcing new connectors and obviously there's then the fun of de-soldering and re-soldering because if you just cut the old connector off you won't have enough wire to reach and then you'll have to take all the interior trim out to replace the whole wire which probably goes straight to a 90 pin connector at the other end so you will end up having to re-wire the whole entire car unless you have the £9000 tool to push pins out of that connector. Or do some splicing I guess.