ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New brakes all round, somethings wrong

Clio 182, Astra Sri
hi there,

i wonder if any of you could tell me what problem im experiencing

i fitted new: oem rear discs, front brembo Hc discs and carbone lorraine rc5+ pads all round

everything seems to be fitted correctly etc.

but...

im finding that braking power seems to be hit and miss. in any kind of driving style

for example, i can slam them on and get pretty good braking, but then i try same again and its no where near as aggressive. or even wait ten minutes and the braking power doesn't feel the same as last time.

i can drive steady, come to slow down gradually and find that sometimes i have to use no pedal effort at all. or sometimes im pushing down on the pedal alot!

ive tried all sorts. double pumping, gradual pedal etc

didnt seem to have this problem before.

but i really dont trust my new shiny brakes :(

what could it be?

many thanks for any replies

JB

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Have you allowed the brakes to bed in yet? Or are you saying the pedal goes to the floor when braking sometimes?

Arctic Blue FF 182
Carbon Lorraine's don't need bedding in really, the only advice given is that with new disc's the braking system should be warmed up progressively, but no bedding in is required.
The bite from cold with RC5+ isn't great at times, but by the sounds of it, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when your brakes seem iffy.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I've given them a good amount of heat cycles

70-30, allow to cool, then same again etc

Done nearly 300 miles since they were fitted also, and still no joy

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Carbon Lorraine's don't need bedding in really, the only advice given is that with new disc's the braking system should be warmed up progressively, but no bedding in is required.
The bite from cold with RC5+ isn't great at times, but by the sounds of it, there doesn't seem to be a pattern to when your brakes seem iffy.

I initially thought that It could be a cold pads problem, which would indicate why they say not for road use as they would become too cold too often

But even when they are warm it's hot and miss

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Yes pads slipped in fine.

By pad carriers do you mean the flimsy bits of metal that are in the callipers, then Yes, they are still present

I only asked as some pads are sized so they only fit freely without them. No harm will come by trying without the metal bits - but seing as yours went in fine then it's prabably not the issue.

What would happen if they fitted in too snugly?

As one side was easier than the other iirc

Did you get new pad carriers?

My experience is that they should be free but quite snug in a road car. For track they should definatley be free and even a little play as the expand with heat. It's up to you if you keep them, I got new metal carriers with my pads and so I used them but took a file to one of the pads that was still a bit tight.

If they fit too tighty it will have a noticeable wooden and inconsistent feel in the pedal

Bleed the system through with new fluid (ATE blue fluid for example) .

Old fluid/not bled recently can cause issues.Tbh i would have done the fluid at the same time as the full brake change

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Bleed the system through with new fluid (ATE blue fluid for example) .

Old fluid/not bled recently can cause issues.Tbh i would have done the fluid at the same time as the full brake change

I didn't feel confident doing it myself as I've never done it before, I'll leave that to the pros until I've learnt how

Dodgy one
What would happen if they fitted in too snugly?

As one side was easier than the other iirc

They would bind and drag, did you give your brakes a good clean up and clean and grease your sliders up? I had a similar experience when one was siezed, brakes were a bit hit and miss i knew what it was it were just to cold to sort lol, i wouldnt remove the metal spacers either probrably find your pads will syart rattling about and its bloody annoying! If they are tight take a file to them just do it bit by bit testing them as you go

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I think I cleaned them up pretty good, didn't grease anything

Didn't think it was necessary

I haven't removed the metal things

Not sure where you mean to grease?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Abs light has come on this morning
And the traction control light
And the service light

Wtf is going on :(

220 Trophy
I wouldn’t have put RC5+'s in the rear as they're probably not getting warm enough to do any braking. Pop your old OEM pads in and see if it makes any difference. Whatever the problem is just stick with OEM pads in the rear.

Abs light has come on this morning
And the traction control light
And the service light

Wtf is going on :(

Check the brake fluid level and see if the cap has been put back on,as some people remove the resivoir cap when fitting new pads as it makes it easier to wind/push the piston back then forget to put it back on.

Was the little spacer behind the rear discs refitted?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Now this is where I sound like an absolute idiot

We didn't open the fluid cap because we couldn't find it lol (holds head in shame)

As for the rear spacers I do believe they we're refitted yes

Last edited:
Remove the engine cover and its against the bulk head at the left hand rear corner as you look at it, ok so the cap didn't come off but check the fluid level isn't to high as i think this also causes problems.

Ideally you could do with popping it into someone and get the system bled

Clio 182, Astra Sri
When gently braking, it feels like I'm stepping on bubble wrap

Feedback through the pedal is like popping/fizzing

Weird lol

Meg RS,172 and a dci
possible abs pick up ring cracked,that can cause abs light to come on and weird feeling brake pedal.

Bloody hell who fitted them??? they should steer well clear of cars in future.. could have ended in a serious accident!!