ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new camera, new to slrs

picked up a canon 400d, came with an 18-55 lens and have borrowed a 28 to 135 lens off next door neighbour. the latter has the Image Stabliliser.

i will be looking to buy a 70-300 lens in the next couple of days and wanted peoples opinions and feedback on what they have bought and used recently.

my choices range from 399 quid to 99quid as follows.

canon with the IS and USM quicker and quieter focus.
canon without the IS
Sigma with the better quality glass (forget the name, one with the red ring round it)
Sigma basic

any thoughts and helpful comments welcome.

cheers

jamie

Monaro VXR
I went with the 70 - 300 IS USM lens and like it.

Mate of mine with the Sigma preferred it after messing with it. So guess that counts for something plus the image stabilizer is useful at times.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I got a 400d a couple of months back, have bought:

50mm f1.8 MKII
70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
BG-E3 Battery Grip

next on the hitlist is :

24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Also got a photographic course booked for October :D

cheers guys. re what pictures im taking, for the moment it will be fairly close range stuff, with not a lot of need for massive amounts of zoom. however, i do travel and intend to go back to kenya and the like in the next couple of months so will be shooting low light and fast moving objects at large ranges. wildlife etc.

thinking it would be best to go with the IS USM

cheers for the links and info pete lad

jamie

The 70-200 F4L is stop of light faster and will focus quicker but maybe not enough reach, the 70-300 is probably the better option for now. Alternativly there is the Sigma 100-300 f4 and ultimately the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 but fast long glass gets a tad expensive :clown: damn this hobbys influence on my wallet....

http://www.tamroneurope.com/flc.htm

A red missile
^^ Tell me about it, my bank balance started groaning the second I looked at 'L' series glass.....oh the pain!

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
i loved my 70-300 lense. set me back £200 so a fairly cheap one

i got a sigma one with macro options, the image quality was good but no where near the quality of my 18-55mm nikon lense.

the colours were dull and faded..a bit like a foggy day, blue sky never looked right either...make sure you read lots of reviews about them :)

cheers benje, my money is going on internet bills and magazines atm just making sure i go for the right one :)

need a little more zoom than the 50mm although i did look at that as a start out meady :)

jamie

Rally bus
50mm f1.8 MKII

is an immense lense for the money!!

agreed! I've got the Nikon version... sample pic :)

r16.jpg

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
ncie photo but looks a bit dark. probably the style you are going for but quite alot of detail is missing :(