ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New camera required... D90/D5100/600D

After shooting with my wee Olympus E-620 for a year or so, it's time for a change.

Managing to sell around 30 odd prints at each horse event I am attending, but with the darker evenings coming, the poor Oly just cant cope.

Above ISO 400 you can really start to see the noise, so I feel its time to move on.

My initial choice was the D90, but I am hearing good things on the higher ISO performance of the D5100 & 600D.

Please note my budget does not cover any real fast glass, so shooting at a higher ISO whilt keeping a fast shutter speed is ideal.

Cue Nikon vs Canon argument!

Any user opinions of the above cameras please, and if possible some high ISO shots or sy 800/1600...

Don't ask much eh!

57 Clio Campus Sport
Last edited:
  Oil Burner
Agreed, Nikon and Sony rule the high iso stakes atm. But then 800-1600 isn't really high iso these days.

Fiesta ST-3
The D90 is an older model. D5100 I can't comment on but the D5000 is excellent. It's all about the lens really when it comes to entry level DSLR'S.

I'd go for the D5100 personally.

Oil Burner
Yup, this is where it gets complex and Canon comes into their own. (also bare in mind that the d90 isn't really a direct comparison to the 600d, more the 60d)

To work in low/ish light you want a fast lens. So your probably looking at something like a 70-200 F2.8?

Sigma do a 70-200 2.8 but its not that amazing a lens - but it is very cheap.

Nikon do a 70-200 2.8 VR, they are about £1400 used.

Canon Do a 70-200 F2.8 Non IS or 70-200 2.8 IS. The Non IS is about £1k new or £800-850 used. The IS version is about £1200+ used.

So in short Canon do a cheaper line of pro glass than Nikon so, as well as more used equipment (again pushing prices down). The same issue applies to Sony at the moment.

Canon also have a line of pro-sumer lenses that Nikon almost entirely lacks. 70-200 f4L, 17-40L, etc...

How much cash have you got to play with?

If its high ISO performance you require then the newest sony sensor wins in the Nikon 5100, Canon aren't even a consideration at high iso.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...0/(brand)/Nikon/(brand2)/Nikon/(brand3)/Canon

Listen to this man!!!!

I am a die hard canon fan - and I agree with Brazo - canon lenses are cheaper and better. Hell you could buy a 50mm f1.8 for £80 brand new!!

BUT the new sony sensor that they've fitted to the 5100 is a whole new level of technology. It has virtually no noise at any ISO
Get the 5100... leave the ISO setting to Auto so the camera can pick whatever it wants and you're onto a winner!

I'm praying the next generation of Canon bodies start using the new sony censors!

Its even better in the Pentax K5, ok fractionally better DXO score. I am wanting to get a DSLR body end of the year and this was on my list but Sonys new A77 24mp sensor may take this to an all new level!

2.2 bar shed.
I'm praying the next generation of Canon bodies start using the new sony censors!

Wait for Digic 5 and the new Canon FF sensor. Personally I much prefer the EOS system even if the camera's arnt 'as' good at the moment.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Im pretty sure the D5000 has the same sensor as the D90.

So another cheaper option to consider

Had a play with both bodies today side by side. D90 wins hands down for ease of use, layout of controls and overall feel. Felt much better in the hands and better build quality. Sadly I forgot to take my own SD card to take a few test pics in the shop that I could have compared at home. The D90 did seem to focus quicker and had a much nicer view finder too! The internal motor is certainly a plus!

Decisions decisions!

It is a big decision, I know what you're going through.

It's made harder when you consider whatever brand you go with, you'll have tick to if you ever upgrade the body again. Otherwise you have to sell all your lenses etc to make the switch.

I know what you mean about the Nikon feeling the best in your hand, that's partly why I went with Nikon (at a time when I considered that to be important!)

"Navy" N17 TWO
The OP got me hooked on Nikon - then went Canon :dead:

I'm glad you've seen the light JJ! :approve: