ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car - bought from an independant garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thing i would do if it shouldnt have passed an mot is ring vosa, they come out and test the car themselves. Mentioning this to them would s**t them up.

No it wouldn't though, because it was all probably listed on the advisory!!

M2 Competition
i always ignore when a salesman says ill put 12 month mot on it
because they normally have there own testing bit
an pass some right sheds through
had this with alot of cars

Aye, and it will usually mean that the car has arrived at the garage prior to that with no mot, which means that someone has chopped it in as it was coming up to needing money spent on it.

A lot of the time when you buy a new car you have to swallow the fact that problems you inherit are now yours.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I tried to get someone to go with me to check out the car (Im no mechanic or car expert tbh)

Someone would have gone with you no probs. Loads of ppl slate CS but I've met no end of nice ppl willing to help. Sadly some no longer frequent the forum but if you'd put a post up someone would have come with you, given advise and told you what to check.

I think it's such a shame you potentially paid more by getting it from a trader when it looks like getting it private would have been best.

I also can't see you getting anything back. I wouldn't return a car if it was on the limit with its tyres and it won't be any difference with the brakes, your fault for not looking unfortunatley. I think you should get somewhere with the exhaust, that is, if it is foooked.

172 cup
Just got off the phone with they guy

We round and round in circles for a while and he denied ever getting an advisory and said I have mis placed it FLOL I definately havnt, I know what one looks like and would have seen it with the paper work and questioned it.

Anyway he is offering me £75 towards repairs, I accepted this (tried to push him to £100 but wasnt having it) so sending me a cheque in the post. We can see whether or not it bounces lol.

However I still have the problem of not knowing what is on the advisory....I tired the website but doesnt seem to give details of advisories

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It does, look harder.

Its on the left hand side of the screen ''Check status'' or ''History request''

pm me your reg and your v5c document reference number. i'll do it for you now.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
FFS stop accepting £75 for everything lol, you dont even know how much the repairs are going to be yet

172 cup
FFS stop accepting £75 for everything lol, you dont even know how much the repairs are going to be yet

LOL Dont I???
Ive had it at a garage hence how I know it needs doing in the first place, also I did put above I tried to negotiate more but was getting no where, I would have been on the phone all night or he would have put the phone down as I was just at breaking point.

Barge
You need to see what the advisory says really before anything. 75 quid isn't likely to cover brakes and fixing the exhaust. I'd be back on the blower when you know what it says and hounding him for more. Pay a visit, that'll be nice for his other customers to see!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd have said if you're accepting liability I'd have forwarded all invoices to them and expect full reimbursement.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
tbh as would i be if a customer had rang me up at 9 in the evening.

so do you know if the exhaust needs replacing now?

shes accepted £75 as far as hes concerned thats the matter closed i assume, there probably isnt much left in the car now anyway.

as daniel said traders are like this are scum, you need to treat them like a private seller, dont expect any usual dealer perks, you wouldnt go back to a private seller and complain as you know you wouldnt really get anywhere

172 cup
It does, look harder.

pm me your reg and your v5c document reference number. i'll do it for you now.

It doesnt, I click "check status" and it just takes me back to the beginning

Most likely have an advisoru that says something like "left front brake disk pitted, right fron disk pitted" nothing you can do about if it's on the advisory.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It does, look harder.

pm me your reg and your v5c document reference number (or MOT test number) . i'll do it for you now.

Herrow? Meestah dudwey??

172 cup
You need to see what the advisory says really before anything. 75 quid isn't likely to cover brakes and fixing the exhaust. I'd be back on the blower when you know what it says and hounding him for more. Pay a visit, that'll be nice for his other customers to see!

Jamie, He isnt accepting any liability he said the £75 is a good will gesture FLOL

I'd have said if you're accepting liability I'd have forwarded all invoices to them and expect full reimbursement.

I know how much the repairs are costing and I told him this on the phone but he is denying all responsability, like I say I was going round in circles with him and wasnt getting anywhere. Im ringing the garage tomorrow that issued the MOT cert to see if I can get a copy of the advisory but like Ive said he is just denying he got it or of he did get it hes misplaced it. What can I do when someone is being this stubborn and prob knows I dont even have a leg to stand on.

I was suprised when he offered me the money, I said that isnt going to cover what needs doing. He also stated and advisory is just advise on what work needs doing in the future and I said I know what one is my point is had I of known about it and seen what I probably know is on there it could have influenced whether I bought the car or not or I would have at least negotiated on the price.

R14 CUP
What warranty terms did you get with the vehicle?

As practice - if we sell a car and it has a fault within the first three months - we will repair the problem without question. I know you haven't bought it from a nationwide group like we are. But i would expect a very similiar service from a smaller independant garage. Was it a proper forecourt, with a showroom etc? Or based at someones house?

You could always reject the car, you need to give the company at least a chance to repair the car though.

As said, sometimes warranties aren't worth the price of the piece of paper they are written on.

Good Luck, if you need any advise - don't hesitate to get in touch :)

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
personally id take the £75 be on my way and take it as a lesson learned

but dont expect to sell the car any time soon, the internets a small place

Better than yours. C*nt.
TBH it sounds like any old 172 and isn't worth getting wound up and blaming him for it. I bought my Vee and the next weekend it was off the road cos two coils gave up. Wasn't shaun's fault - he can't predict the future and neither can this chap. Yes, it's cost you a fair bit but 2litre Clios are notoriously expensive for bigger 'consumables'...

If you want any help sorting it, I can fit exhausts ok and brakes so that'd save you labour, plus I can help you find some half decent reasonable price parts.

Don't get too worked up - TBH the guy doesn't sound particularly dodgy to me - for starters he doesn't have a Brizzle accent! So chin up and some helpful folk on here will help out for you :)

As I've said a number of times, I'm not that bad and neither are any of the other soft cnuts on here!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well ive tried to help but all you give out is sarky comments, people are trying to help you rectify your own silly mistakes

i work in the motor trade as do other peoplr in this thread, but you seem to e ignoring those and listening to the people that dont really know

172 cup
well ive tried to help but all you give out is sarky comments, people are trying to help you rectify your own silly mistakes

i work in the motor trade as do other peoplr in this thread, but you seem to e ignoring those and listening to the people that dont really know

TBH Your assuming a lot. Im talking to Dan actually and he is helping me out so Im not ignoring anything Im grateful for any help I can get at the moment.

As for selling it on a) I dont want to b) If I did want to Ill have footed the bill for all the repairs so that car will be in the condition it should be!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Roffle. I'm going out for a smoke. I've been meaning to since 9pm!

Its a shame someone on here didn't go and look over it for you...
In terms of the MOT brakes would only fail if they were metal to metal and/ or binding, 172 Cups always fail the MOT on brake balance anyways but there is a vosa technical bulletin out on this.
The exhaust should have been advised and if it was really bad it could fail the MOT on emissions.
I would take the £75, the exhaust is probably corroded but I would just wait till it drops off before spending any money, it might hang on in there for another year!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Roffle. I'm going out for a smoke. I've been meaning to since 9pm!

Feel free to hurl abuse at dole-scrounging neighbours while you do. I worked out the other night that it's great fun... At other people's pads!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Feel free to hurl abuse at dole-scrounging neighbours while you do. I worked out the other night that it's great fun... At other people's pads!

Oh please, I live in the Heath. Dole is a swear word round these parts!

Family Bus
Can I just say that not all dealers are like this!

3 weeks after I got the FTO the brakes were squealing, long story short took it back to dealer for advice, he had it for a day & thought it was fixed. 2 days later it started again, popped into a local garage, owner knew the dealer, I said I'd book it in to be fixed and left it at that.

The following day, the dealer rang me out of the blue and said to take the car to the garage and he would pay for any repairs needed, which he did.

So not all are that bad!

Sorry you've had a bad experience Laura, but learn from your mistakes chick, ALWAYS get someone with a good general knowledge of car's to go with you :)

172 cup
Can I just say that not all dealers are like this!

3 weeks after I got the FTO the brakes were squealing, long story short took it back to dealer for advice, he had it for a day & thought it was fixed. 2 days later it started again, popped into a local garage, owner knew the dealer, I said I'd book it in to be fixed and left it at that.

The following day, the dealer rang me out of the blue and said to take the car to the garage and he would pay for any repairs needed, which he did.

So not all are that bad!

Sorry you've had a bad experience Laura, but learn from your mistakes chick, ALWAYS get someone with a good general knowledge of car's to go with you :)

Unfortunately, this isnt always possible

Family Bus
Fair enough if you couldn't get someone :)

An idea for future if you find yourself in a similar situation, would be to fork out £50 for the AA to come out and do a vehicle check, they check everything and give you a full report. Know it's shelling out but could save pennies!

Hope you get it sorted.

172 cup
Fair enough if you couldn't get someone :)

An idea for future if you find yourself in a similar situation, would be to fork out £50 for the AA to come out and do a vehicle check, they check everything and give you a full report. Know it's shelling out but could save pennies!

Hope you get it sorted.

Ay chick, wish Id of done this tbh.

Slight update, I spoke to the MOT garage this morning who carried out the MOT as I just wanted to see what they'd say tbh. They confirmed absolutely 100% (which is what I thought anyway) that they gave the A notice to the dealer.

Ive also submitted a complaint on consumer direct to see whether they can give any advise.

My point isnt that there were advisory issues on the MOT its that he kept them hidden and failed to advise ME of these and therefore it might have influenced what price I was prepared to pay or whether I bought the car all together tbh

Better than yours. C*nt.
It wasn't possible because one minute you were debating whether to get the 182 near me, and then 5 minutes later you said you were off out to look at a 172 then came back and told everyone you'd bought it! YOU were the reason nobody could help out, because YOU rushed in with money burning a hole in your pocket.

I couldn't even force my help on you, and there are many members on here who'd do similar so I don't think it's fair to say it wasn't possible to do it.

I'm also going to stick my neck out and say all you'll do is piss you and him off, and after one or two dealers torching cars that were going to be a problem after they'd sold them and the owner had started moaning, I'd shut the f**k up and accept the lesson... Consumer Direct will do absolutely nothing as the bits that have broken are 'wear and tear' parts and as you didn't ask to see the advisory note that was recorded on the MOT certificate then you can't really say it was hidden from you, you just didn't ask to see it.

Sorry, I'd love to tell you you're in the right and you'll get all your money back as that's what you want to hear, but I doubt you'll get anything as you've gone bitching to Consumer Direct about him and it'll have got his back up... Your only hope with this one was good will I'm afraid!

Status
Not open for further replies.