ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New car Clio or Golf ?

German V6
I know most people on here will say Clio but then again maybe not , I've always loved VW's but ever since getting a little 1.2 clio and seeing everyone's sports on here 182's, 172's and even 197's they look so smart and they seem alot more appealing now after owning a clio myself. I have been looking at 172's and anniversary (1.8T) and tbh I can't decide they are both around 2k insurance for me, I just can't make my mind up anyone on here owned a GTI and a clio ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you want something that loves to be revved high, handles like a gokart (in comparison to a gti) and bumps along down a back road, get a clio.

If you want something a bit more grown up, is cheap to extract power out of and is more of a cruiser, buy a golf.

Like the man above says, best thing to do is go and drive a couple.

Clio 172 Cup
Had a MK4 GTi 1.8T. Solid build but lots of niggles which I didn't expect and and not that punchy. Have a 172 Cup which dispite the lack if creature comforts is much more fun.

German V6
Had a MK4 GTi 1.8T. Solid build but lots of niggles which I didn't expect and and not that punchy. Have a 172 Cup which dispite the lack if creature comforts is much more fun.

What do you mean by niggles , small problems ?

172 cup
I own a 172 cup and have done a good few thousand miles in the golf (not an anniversary but an aum code 18t mk4 so no real mechanical difference).Having experienced both it definitely come down to what you want from the car and how you like to drive.

The golf goes ok as standard and pretty well with a remap but the handling is ok but not all that and its all a bit sedate in comparison to the clio.Very easy to drive though and more comfortable if your doing a lot of miles,alo a lot more cost effective to tune.On the other hand the clio a standard goes very well for what it is but only if you don't mind wringing it neck a little.Tuning costs a fortune to see any real gains though.I find mine reasonably comfortable even on long journeys but it not really a nice a place to sit as the golf.Lastly the image of the golf is much more grown up even with the anni kit/wheels where a in the clio (especially 172/182) most people will just think your a chav,doesn't bother me but it doe bother some.

Cheers Ross.

After owning a 1.4rt clio a while back ive always wanted to get my mitts on a clio again, but having a rather large family(6 kids) forced me to buy big car's like bmw's ,they just never gave me the driving satisfaction the little nippy clio did,now my kids are grown up (3 are 18+) im only 40 btw, there is no need to have a big car anymore so i jumped at the chance to sell the lastest bmw i had and went for a 182 clio , only owned it for a day but WOW just WOW, the phrase chalk and cheese is so so true in this case, get a clio you wont regret it.

my old clio

320d
I'm presuming your a young lad. In that case get an RS Clio. The MK4 Golf is not a true hot hatch, they branded a 2.0 8V a GTI in the MK4 for gods sake. Any bloke who is into their cars needs to have a proper hot hatch in their late teens and 20's, not that there is anything with wrong with having one any time but my point is you have plenty of time for Golfs.

Accord 2.4
I looked at the golfs before getting the clio, There was just something with the dash i didnt like

What about a Leon Cupra (Mk1) 1.8T ? ? Basically a golf underneth I used to have a 1.9 TDi FR (165bhp) and loved it. Wishing I got the cupra instead of the 172 now

Clio 172
I am a huge VW fan but the MKIV GTI is a barge, the 1.8T isn't all that unless you get it fettled with to realease a few more ponies. The 1.8T engine in a MKII is where its at, lightweight car and alot of power, I have a few friends running 300bhp MKII 1.8T's. As a standard comparison there is non betweena 182 and a MKIV GTI, the GTI has all the refinements is a bigger car, the 182 is a quicker, more nimble car and is basically what the VW GTI's used to be before they brought out the MKIII and IV. You'll have more fun and it will always put a smile on your fcae when you put your foot down, the Golf will always feel like there is something lacking. now a 1.9 GTTDI 150bhp with a remap.....now thats a good comparison. But if its petrol your after then buy the Clio.

Clio 172 PH2
I had a golf they drive s**t alot of roll no feeling to the drive deer to modify because its german, I would go for the clio

Iv had both, if i were forced to have either again i would have the golf, clio was 10 x more fun but reliability/build quality let the clio down

Totally different cars though so as said drive them both

German V6
I looked at the golfs before getting the clio, There was just something with the dash i didnt like

What about a Leon Cupra (Mk1) 1.8T ? ? Basically a golf underneth I used to have a 1.9 TDi FR (165bhp) and loved it. Wishing I got the cupra instead of the 172 now

Friends got a Cupra R it was taken into consideration but i'd get so much s**t his is nearly running 300bhp i can't compete with that lol .

Thanks for the help everyone i've got another month or so before I need to renew my insurance so not really in much of a rush atm I guess i just need to drive a few more of them before i finally make my mind up it's kinda swaying towards to clio atm :)

1eight2
Ive owned a '99 Mk4 GTi 1.8T

Personally... loved it, great build quality, reliable considering the high mileage and pretty good on fuel. Once i remapped it it was a completly different car.

Bought my Clio and initially I was dissapointed, it didn't handle as well as I thought it would and didn't feel quicker than my Golf. I got used to it after a few weeks and its so much fun compared to my Golf I love it!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I was also considering a golf as an upgrade from my 1.2 Mk1 clio, but then realised that the only reason I was considering it was because of built quality. I ended up getting a 182 and feel i have made the right choice as its just way more fun to drive. I find there is something about a clio that you dont get in other hot hatches that makes them more fun.