ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car Content = Supercharged Content

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Driven the GP a few times, very very well setup car for back road driving!

Yours looks great.

Megane RS 250
I like it too, but a few things weren't thought through, like the seats, instead of fitting some lightweight items they used the standard structures with recaro bolstering, and the fake reinforcement bar too, a rear strut brace would be better.
I think it has one of the highest power to weight ration of all the hatchbacks ever, and the engine is very linear in the delivery, it's like driving a 2,5l NA engine.
It likes to dring A LOT!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah poor MPG?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of MPG on a car like this to be fair.

Mini Cooper S
My mate who had an R56 Cooper has just got his hands on a GP. I rang him up to tell him about my new R56 S, his reply was nice...I've just got my GP!

Not a good phone call :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My mate who had an R56 Cooper has just got his hands on a GP. I rang him up to tell him about my new R56 S, his reply was nice...I've just got my GP!

Not a good phone call :(
That's a penis shrinker!

Megane RS 250
Ahaha it's not a turbo, off boost doen't exist, it's supercharged!

Let's see, usually it's 9 km/l going slow, around 6 having a bit of fun...in MPG-->22 down to 14 MPG depending on how you drive.

A R56 JCW is around 12 km/l, 28 MPG, down to 20 having fun.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I dont know where your getting your info from but yes, superchargers are always spinning i.e moving air but its not always producing "boost" in the engine itself. It will only function under load and higher stages of RPM, the majority of the time the supercharger will yes be spinning but not actually be producing "boost", going up hill, heavy accelaration, overtaking, towing etc will cause it to spool.

If you can prove me wrong, go right ahead.

Megane RS 250
As you said, the supercharger is always spinning so you got a component that absorbs power all the time, so that's the reason it'll have less MPG than the same engine without the SC, even "off boost".
Obviosly when the SC is working you get the MPG of a much more big engine as you use more fuel with the compressed air, plus there's still the mechanical resistance of the SC.

With "off boost doesn't exist" I mean there isn't an engine speed or a specific quantity of gas that gets the turbo working, with a turbo you can drive under this rpm "limit", driving "off boost", and even when you floor it the car doesn't go anywhere and you get good MPG. If you do the same with a SC, the cars pulls at every revs and it's always on boost, even if its a boost depending on how much rpm you got.

Anyway, the Pentagon engine is not very sofisticated (it comes from the Chrysler PT Cruiser), it has 16 valves but only 1 cam, no vvt or other gimmicks.
It's strong and reliable and very tuneable but not economical to run!
Even the 115 cv Cooper struggles to reach 12 km/l with normal driving (I had one and I have better MPG from the Clio!) The Cooper S usually is around 9, the JCW/GP 8 or less.

Last edited:
  R26
Sorry if I've missed it? What's the power of these and bhp/ton? Im sure I read on torquestats it was 188bhp/Ton?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I only used the word boost as a means to it actually boosting the engine.. :eek:

What i will say is owners on here have commented on how thirsty they can be (Cooper S/JCW/GP) compared to a Clio but i always assumed owners on here would be driving them as they were intended!

Either way, like you say, 218bhp from the GP at full chat is going to be poor - id imagine....

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols indeed Daniel but we both still absolutely love them.

Porper FWD machine.

Megane RS 250
Well, if you tune a 172/182 to have the same power of a GP I think the MPG will be very similar...
The thing is a GP will go to 240 hp with cams and a remap, and that's not even expensive as there's only 1 cam.
The only problem of that engine is the intercooler, is small and in a very poor position, you'll need a air/water IC to keep the power around 200 hp after a 15 mins blast, if you use it on the track you absolutely need it.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
203 BHP/tonnes as stated when it makes 218bhp

mine RR @ TDF to 214 which is pretty decent compared to most manufacturers who tell a few porkys about BHP etc altho like gardus says it was struggling with some heatsoak

as for MPG ive never see why some people freaked out over it

over 1175m to the ring/TF laps/Autobahn blast/trip home my car came back with 34.4 avg MPG now my smaller wheeler must be doing something to the maths i presume, on the way from brum to dover it did over 39MPG just cruising at 70.

so ive never had trouble with it around town doing small trips i regularly see 26>mpg

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
They're awesome cars, id have one in a minute if i could :(

Why didnt they come with Xenons? I'd have thought the flagship model would have it all?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers dude, what's your name? I don't feel comfortable calling you Withoutabix!!!!! :eek:

Improved the handling at all? Ride comfort?

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
lol neil dude

goddddd yesss run-flats are terrible i felt a difference straight away but i do wish the alloys were 18's so i can raise the height but still keep the tyres close to the arches

Megane RS 250
Who drives at 70 on the motorway?!
I don't know anyone who have those MPG with a Cooper S R53, any version!

The remap won't do anything to the fuel consumption and it's worth only if you do some modifications like cams,exhaust or IC. The SC pulley is already the right size, the intake is good...
On the exhaust you can improve things with a manifold (the debate 4-2-1 vs 4-1 is still open) and a sports cat, the JCW exhaust is pretty good and sounds nice.

Brakes need better pads but are much better thant the standard R53 (who shares brakes with one and cooper models!)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Ah good point mate. Maybe in the future, OE alloys with better tyres?

Best of both worlds?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Tyre fitter recently told me BMW are to stop fitting run flats to new BMW's a result of them cracking alloys being so firm.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Who drives at 70 on the motorway?!
I don't know anyone who have those MPG with a Cooper S R53, any version!

ive just looked back at the pics i took of the dash

211miles yeilded 41.5MPG! on the cruise, this is in the middle of the night on an empty motorway so no need to kane it really

and ye gally the standard alloys with better tyres is a good compromise

R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
Just bought GP 1448 from Swansea Mini, picking her up Saturday. Last car was a LY R27 so looking forward to making comparisons on mpg, performance, attention (chav at heart lol) ect..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hoping to hear more about it mate.

Wish they were just that little bit more exclusive.

R27, JCW GP, M4, M2
Not on any mini forums yet fella.
It was the supercharger whine along with the pops and crackles from the exhaust that had me!
The car has 19,800 miles on it, got it for just over 13k with the usual 12 months tax/mot/warranty and full tank of fuel. Also had sports arial thrown in (however only seen it in the brochure so no idea how it will sit on the car).
The R27 will forever be an unbeatable car for me, however a change was needed.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Not on any mini forums yet fella.
It was the supercharger whine along with the pops and crackles from the exhaust that had me!
The car has 19,800 miles on it, got it for just over 13k with the usual 12 months tax/mot/warranty and full tank of fuel. Also had sports arial thrown in (however only seen it in the brochure so no idea how it will sit on the car).
The R27 will forever be an unbeatable car for me, however a change was needed.

sounds like a decent deal buddy, best mini forum is Minitorque.com if you like abit of banter etc but be prepared to be told you need coilovers lol

your exhaust on the GP it had any work done to it? if its proper banging and popping and its standard id advise you to stick your hand onto the top of the back boxes and see that the rear hangers havent sheared off and left two nice big holes, mine was very loud when i got it and found this was the problem also found it on another GP

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Yep welded them back up, think i've broke them again though....

Oh yeah had the cam in a few months now, i forgot to mention it on here! Really worth doing, bit of a b*****d job to do mind...

Just on the hunt for coilovers and 17's now