ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch time?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Apologies for my not so technical description.. if I slightly press on the clutch before it actually engages, I can hear a mix or grinding and an air compression sound, and when I actually change gear it seems like I can hear the mechanics of the clutch if that makes sense. This has come really suddenly, first heard it a few days ago and I think it has become louder. The clutch is around 50k miles old according to car history.

New clutch or some other issue?

Thanks

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah, 6hrs labour after reading about. For some reason I always thought it was a cheapish fix. There goes my wheel refurb and snappy trim :(

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, 6hrs labour after reading about. For some reason I always thought it was a cheapish fix. There goes my wheel refurb and snappy trim 😧

If it's on the real early stages of rattling - just nurse it and be gentle and you'll get loads of life out of it.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I think I noticed mine started to rattle at around 70k, eventually got it changed at 90k because the clutch was really heavy. Turned out the release bearing had collapsed and embedded in the clutch, but was still working!

So yeah, it will probably last a while yet lol.

Get yourself a pink sheet, a pizza and some tools and get cracking

(Many moons ago and my neighbours probably hated me)

SAM_0155_zps9a72aef5.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
I've never replaced a clutch, but i'd give it a go only if i had someone with me who knew what they were doing though just to show me.

If you can change brakes, you can change a clutch. As said, it's wise to have someone who's done one before on hand (even if via Facetime etc) to check a few things with.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
If you can change brakes, you can change a clutch. As said, it's wise to have someone who's done one before on hand (even if via Facetime etc) to check a few things with.

I'm actually in the middle of taking a Ph1 apart, so it's good to see what things go where. Luckily it doesn't have to go back together 😂

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is the clutch change anything major/difficult on these? I have a best mate who is a mechanic by trade, particularly Skoda taxis etc. If you can do a clutch on one car can you do them all??