ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member, Looking to buy a 200 Cup

Toyota MR2 Roadster
Hi all
Im in the market for a replacement for my Modded MR2 Roadster which Ive owned for 4 years.
Im hoping for some advice as what to avoid, and what to look out for? (any potential issues please)?
My budget is around 10-11k, so looking for a late model 12 plate.

Thanks in advance

Paddy80

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 275 Cup-S
Y
Hi all
Im in the market for a replacement for my Modded MR2 Roadster which Ive owned for 4 years.
Im hoping for some advice as what to avoid, and what to look out for? (any potential issues please)?
My budget is around 10-11k, so looking for a late model 12 plate.

Thanks in advance
You'll get a tidy Mk 3 200 with low mileage and cup chassis for sub 10k. Gear boxes are probably the main potential area for issue. Never had an issue on my 2012 200 though. They're thirsty too, 25-28 MPG round the doors and 30-35 MPG on a long run, who cares about that though!

Toyota MR2
Thanks
I've been looking at a few online for around 10k with low mileage.
Really fancy another N/A like my Roadster. Love rev happy engines.
P.S
Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the gearbox issue?

Last edited:

Paddy80

ClioSport Club Member
  RS 275 Cup-S
Thanks
I've been looking at a few online for around 10k with low mileage.
Really fancy another N/A like my Roadster. Love rev happy engines.
P.S
Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the gearbox issue?
I'm no expert but think most issues were on 197's and earlier 200's ( I could stand corrected though ). Tends to be the syncros on 3rd and 4th gear. Options are a rebuild or significant discount from Renault UK for a new box, they seem to have been pretty helpful on the issue.
If you find one you're interested in give full beans ( when warm ) from 3rd to 4th gear to see if it crunches or not. To be fair to box in my old 200 was incredibly slick. Hopefully some CS members with first hand experience can help you more. Not trying to put you off ( it didn't put me off ), just good to be aware of these things.