ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New System - Food for thought

Tesla MP3 2021
Well as you know I am an overclocking virgin so your help would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't want to do anything I WILL regret lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
s**t, just picked up a sony laptop from tesco.

s***s all over your system and I have £2500 change

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my budget will be substantially lower than yours. lol

maybe 600-750 for the pure machine. got all the other stuff tbh... don't tempt me... when i get my new palce it will be the second priority after the massive telly.

Tesla MP3 2021
LOL still will be able to build a nice system with that amount :)

Yeah a big tv is nice aswell. I got a 37" 1080p Toshiba at Xmas for my room.

Tesla MP3 2021
Question on the TV front.

I currently have my TV connected to my GPU via a DVI-D to HDMI cable. As my new GPU (GTX 295) has HDMI out should I a) use a straight HDMI > HDMI cable b) use my existing DVI-D to HDMI cable or b) get an adaptor on my current cable to make it HDMI > HDMI?

Oh and Roy this T260 is f**king awesome, I cant get over the quality of it :)

It is quite nice isn't it :)

Seb. So are you talking about TheSloth2, or TheSloth v1.5. New mobo and processor automatically jumps it to 2, and so on and so forth ;)

EDIT: I have my gtx295 rolling with DVI. I don't see the need to use hdmi as I don't need it to carry audio. DVI is hardcore. HDMI is for consoles and faggots ;)

Tesla MP3 2021
Question on the TV front.

I currently have my TV connected to my GPU via a DVI-D to HDMI cable. As my new GPU (GTX 295) has HDMI out should I a) use a straight HDMI > HDMI cable b) use my existing DVI-D to HDMI cable or b) get an adaptor on my current cable to make it HDMI > HDMI?

Come on Roy, I'm waiting ;).

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

Seb. So are you talking about TheSloth2, or TheSloth v1.5. New mobo and processor automatically jumps it to 2, and so on and so forth ;)

EDIT: I have my gtx295 rolling with DVI. I don't see the need to use hdmi as I don't need it to carry audio. DVI is hardcore. HDMI is for consoles and faggots ;)

i will be talking 2.0 tbh i reckon.

as when i come round to it i'll be settled again so it will be a rig to last for sometime. no point doing a 1.5 as thesloth original has been sat for over a year... not even been powered on :( no room at present ot set her up.

Tesla MP3 2021
Ha-ha you cant be going SLI on me, and yes you are right. Well that's how I think aswell lol

Roffles. Only kidding. You won't need anything more than one. Not unless you go 30" 2560x1600 and f**k that Samsung off down the car boot on Sunday morning ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

PMSL! Quote of the day!

Clearly ATi don't think so......... as far as Vista goes anyway. They heart the VGA.

Bulbs. :(

D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
WTF? Surely this is fixable by a driver update?

You share my pain (and frustration). Apparently 'some' people have managed to get it working by having one monitor on VGA and the other (blank screen) on DVI and tweaking the settings that way.

Others have tried different DVI-I and DVI-D cables, again with some success.

Essentially, the problem seems to be a three-way confusion between Vista, the ATi CCC and the EDID of the monitor. Like my Iiyama runs natively at 1280x1024 - yet the EDID believes it can easily support 1920 resolution. Obviously, the monitor just says no-way and goes to sleep. Even when you set the settings for both monitors to 1024x768, Apply them and the restart, only the VGA connected one works.

The BIGGEST frustration with it, is that you can install Vista fine while running DVI. As soon as you apply the latest ATi CCC, it f***s up.

People with uber-monitors aren't affected either - like your's would be safe too, as the EDID reports back a resolution (that although high) can still be supported by the monitor.

Definitely, definitely a driver issue. :(

D.

DCi
my nvidia has DVI and HDMI outs. I wanted to see what Empire Total War looked like on 32" HD TV goodness, so I tried the HDMI output and the quality was shitty.

My TV also has a PC input, but it's VGA, it is a higher quality picture when I have used a VGA lead to my laptop than my GFX/HDMI(!!!)

so I tried a DVI to VGA adapter to my GFX card on my desktop and the picture on the TV was tiled 6 times and kept moving from right to left in like a loop, lols.

so I'm yet to have epic total war battle in HD 32" :(

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody hell that's a pain in the ass. So you're using VGA??

Samsung T260 + gtx295 = win.

Get it done ;)

Aye. Unless I boot it into Windows XP, when it works fine on DVI.

I'm not really that mithered to be fair. I'm still getting a better in-game performance in XP than I do in Vista - as seen by my own eyes and backed up with some 3DMark2006 scores.

There are also some obvious slow downs in Vista - like Left 4 Dead. That is so much smoother in XP.

Have you tried reinstalling FEAR back onto your new system yet? Although it would fly along anyway, it would be interesting to see if you notice any Physx benefits going on?

D.

Tesla MP3 2021
Hopefully I will be getting the system tomorrow if not Monday / Tuesday next week :(. I cant wait that long lol.

Aye. Unless I boot it into Windows XP, when it works fine on DVI.

I'm not really that mithered to be fair. I'm still getting a better in-game performance in XP than I do in Vista - as seen by my own eyes and backed up with some 3DMark2006 scores.

There are also some obvious slow downs in Vista - like Left 4 Dead. That is so much smoother in XP.

Have you tried reinstalling FEAR back onto your new system yet? Although it would fly along anyway, it would be interesting to see if you notice any Physx benefits going on?

D.

F.E.A.R 2 is installed on the new rig, yeah. I'm yet to get too far into it as I'm playing FarCry 2 a lot. Everything I've tried so far ultra'd up just runs smooth as oiled butter, so the XP/Vista thing is of no concern to me TBH :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
F.E.A.R 2 is installed on the new rig, yeah. I'm yet to get too far into it as I'm playing FarCry 2 a lot. Everything I've tried so far ultra'd up just runs smooth as oiled butter, so the XP/Vista thing is of no concern to me TBH :)

Lol - well lets face it. You'd only get quad-core benefits in Vista anyway! :) Got any benchmarks yet?

What do you think of Farcry 2 then? I liked the setting and the atmosphere in the game, but ultimately, I thought it was bland. A bit too repetitive after a while. Think I was on around 20% complete when I left it.

D.

DCi
You'll need to setup the telly as a second monitor and give it a custom resolution. Then switch monitors in windows?
maybe,i wanted to play on 1 monitor because RTS = moving the mouse to the edge of the screen a lot and some games let the mouse go off on to the other screen = not fun.

Lol - well lets face it. You'd only get quad-core benefits in Vista anyway! :) Got any benchmarks yet?

What do you think of Farcry 2 then? I liked the setting and the atmosphere in the game, but ultimately, I thought it was bland. A bit too repetitive after a while. Think I was on around 20% complete when I left it.

D.

No benches. I can't be bothered really. The jump in performance in games is enough for me to be happy. I'm loving FarCry 2. I can imagine that it may start to get tiresome, but I find it so immersive and often just wander around playing with things. At the risk of banging on about it too much, the new monitor make a massive difference. It almost fills your entire field of vision. Well, not quite but you get my drift. It sucks you in.

FYI. overclocked, the old setup scored over 20,000 in 3DMark06, so I imagine it'll be slightly better but not hugely because that bench is CPU limited. I might give Vantage a whirl at some stage.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No benches. I can't be bothered really. The jump in performance in games is enough for me to be happy. I'm loving FarCry 2. I can imagine that it may start to get tiresome, but I find it so immersive and often just wander around playing with things. At the risk of banging on about it too much, the new monitor make a massive difference. It almost fills your entire field of vision. Well, not quite but you get my drift. It sucks you in.

FYI. overclocked, the old setup scored over 20,000 in 3DMark06, so I imagine it'll be slightly better but not hugely because that bench is CPU limited. I might give Vantage a whirl at some stage.

Things have certainly moved on from your 7950X2 days!

D.