ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to detailing

Insignia SRi
Iv always been a bit OCD with cleaning all my cars so now iv decided to go the whole hog and start detailing properly.

I have a big selection of the usual Meguires, Autoglym etc stuff and started getting some of the more serious stuff from I4detailing and also invested in a machine polisher. I should have it by the weekend and was hoping to give it a go if the weather stays nice.

Is there any tips or do's/dont's in regards to using a machine polisher for the first time???

There is a good guide in the guides section, for getting a PC frmo america. There is also a good guide to detailing that Rich had written up.

Re machine polishing, easy does it is the key. The best option is to use the most non abrasive polish and pad first time round. You are very unlikely to burn through paint, with a orbital polisher, but you can cause more marring in the paint work.

You need to move evenly over the paint surface, making sure it doesn't start to heat up too much. Never polish in direct sunlight, as again this will not allow the polish to work properly.

Best thing is for me to write you some more details and pop it over the PM/Email for you lad.

Jamie

Insignia SRi
Yeah that will be brilliant mate. I have a feeling this could be the way forward for all my cars now as iv seen some results of machine polished cars combined against my best efforts by hand at the weekend and they are far better!!

It is incredible how much difference they can make. I remember doing Russ@gasperformance's car (not sure why that has tried to create a link). The reflections were astronomical, not trying to blow my own trumpet!

The other thing, is that it cuts down your "I think I'll give it a quick polish" time 10 fold! SRP on a non cut pad has revolutionised my car detailing!

Jamie

Insignia SRi
Yeah il have to invest in some SRP as iv run out, is it best to start off with that and then work up to using Mezerma and the posh Meguires stuff??

I personally use the following;

Light marks - SRP on sfx pad (non cut, can never remember which way round it is 1-3)
Swirling - Menzerna Intensive Polish on sfx pad

Sometimes I use the Menzerna Final Finish, but find SRP is just the same and I have a lot of that!!

Seal using EGP, wax using Natty's Blue (blue paintwork and find its my favourite thus far).

I will, however be changing some of these soon. I want an easier product than EGP, Ali has suggest Chemical Guys blitz as a good upgrade.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
J, It's my preference...May not be better. Rich prefers EGP and he's a hell of a lot better at detailing that me. So again i go back to my comment about "use what works for you"

I've got the Autosmart truck comign round to my work this lunchtime...Strangely exciting! lol

Ha, sad lad ;)

The EGP I find gives great results, but I swear I end up using far too much of it, therefore looking for a spray. I guess I could get a spray bottle though . . . hadn't though about that!