ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie detailing/cleaning questions

Clio 172 Cup
So as above I'm new to this

background
ive had my car for 11 years now its a 172 cup and have looked after it well, infact it's often commented on how new it looks because its been garaged a lot and only run in good weather.

intentions
i want to give the car a good clean and keep it looking good as I want to use it a bit more often now so

i need to learn about cleaning it I got some hot wheels cleaner and will clean the wheels during maintenance when there off the car.

but how do I clean my car paint work I'm not the anal type but I want to do a good job, what shampoo to use what sponges to use what wax to use and WTF is clay ??????? Is it just wax ???? How do I apply it ????

Also where to get this stuff from as you wouldn't buy alloy wheels from halfords so I'm guessing the best cleaning stuff isn't for sale their either.

Clio 172 Cup
Ok so had a bit of a read and have ordered a wash MIT

now onto shampoo
but what's the difference between the two types below listed in the stick bit below ?

A couple of recommendations:

Dodo Juice Born to Be Mild
Auto Finesse Lather
Britemax Cleanmax
Gtechniq G-wash

Some gloss enhancing ones:

Dodo juice Sour Power
Chemical guys Glossworkz shampoo
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Ok so had a bit of a read and have ordered a wash MIT

now onto shampoo
but what's the difference between the two types below listed in the stick bit below ?

A couple of recommendations:

Dodo Juice Born to Be Mild
Auto Finesse Lather
Britemax Cleanmax
Gtechniq G-wash

Some gloss enhancing ones:

Dodo juice Sour Power
Chemical guys Glossworkz shampoo
Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II

forget gloss enhancing shampoo's, they don't do a great deal and affect the properties of your wax or sealant. those highlighted are all very good shampoos that will not degrade existing waxes.

after washing, get a quality drying towel. i4detailing uber yellow is awesome.

then look into decontamination, tar removers, iron and fallout removers. these lift embedded dirt with nothing more than spray on, leave to dwell on each panel a few minutes, then rinse off. claying is the use of a clay bar and lubricant rubbed over the paint to lift any remaining bonded contaminants. this will leave the car super smooth.

after this look at pre wax cleansers, or glazes, or all in one type products. these will give a deep look to the paint, condition it a little, mask or remove minor blemishes, and leave the paint ready to be protected.

for protection you can use either a wax or sealant, 100's to choose from all depends on budget, type of look you want, durability requirements, ease of use etc etc

than for maintaining, using your wax safe shampoo and drying towel, add a quick detailing spray for wiping down after washing to return that just waxed look.

Clio 172 Cup
Is this any good ? Any other suggestions for a window cleaner ideally would like one I can you on inside and outside of glass windows ?

Clio 172 Cup
forget gloss enhancing shampoo's, they don't do a great deal and affect the properties of your wax or sealant. those highlighted are all very good shampoos that will not degrade existing waxes.

after washing, get a quality drying towel. i4detailing uber yellow is awesome.

then look into decontamination, tar removers, iron and fallout removers. these lift embedded dirt with nothing more than spray on, leave to dwell on each panel a few minutes, then rinse off. claying is the use of a clay bar and lubricant rubbed over the paint to lift any remaining bonded contaminants. this will leave the car super smooth.

after this look at pre wax cleansers, or glazes, or all in one type products. these will give a deep look to the paint, condition it a little, mask or remove minor blemishes, and leave the paint ready to be protected.

for protection you can use either a wax or sealant, 100's to choose from all depends on budget, type of look you want, durability requirements, ease of use etc etc

than for maintaining, using your wax safe shampoo and drying towel, add a quick detailing spray for wiping down after washing to return that just waxed look.

​What do you mean by fallout and will this do all decontamination stuff ? Can I put it in a spray bottle as you described above ?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-cat6.html

turbo 182
if your looking for a good starter kit have a look at car-chem they have a 25% sale on aswell this bank holiday, they are getting good review over on detailing world, i got 500ml shampoo that 1900:1 and a drying towel plush lambs wool wash mit all for 15quid deliverd

​What do you mean by fallout and will this do all decontamination stuff ? Can I put it in a spray bottle as you described above ?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-cat6.html

You need to decontaminate the car before polishing, using a dedicated iron dissolver (which removes brake dust and iron filings) like IronX, Tar dissolver like Tardis. You may then need to clay the car with a clay bar, have a look on youtube for some videos, Bilt Hamber make a few good clay bars available on eBay.

Yes, Tardis can be put into a spray bottle, but needs to be a chemical resistant one like meguiars make, polished Bliss sell them I think.

Yea that will work well, but I'd recommend Auto Finesse Crystal, available on their website, use it with a lint-free cloth or dedicated waffle weave glass cloth.