ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie on the lookout for a 182

Hello all,

So i'm on the lookout for a 182, hoping for a bit of advice but first a bit about myself, currently in a VW Golf MK5 GTI edition 30 and before that had an R32 an A3 and a MK4 golf so you could say I'm partial to the german marques.

The dreaded getting older and slightly more sensible means I need the cash tied up in my golf, but still want a quick and fun car as a daily and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the hot Clios, I think from what I've read a 182 full fat is what I want, also if its in the pastel blue even better!
My question is what sort of mileage/spec can I expect for £2500-£3500 (depending on how much the golf goes for) and what are problems are expected, not in particular to look out for when buying (as i've done a good bit of looking round the forum and the Dephaser pulley (whatever that is) seems to be a biggie along with melting steering wheels??) but things that are going to be costly, for example I've heard doing the Cam belt is very expensive on these cars. Having said that I'm pretty handy with the spanners so will give most things a bash myself.

Anyway went and drove, what I think was, a 182 cup with the basic seats no A/C etc at the weekend and loved the general feel of the car, a undulating B road I have no doubt that it would be stuck to the bum of my golf like a fly in a honey pot! However I think it was a bit of a dog, it had 100,000 on the clock the steering wheel certainly felt melted, none of the trip computer was working and when I gave the throttle a good prod before it was propperly warm (naughty I know but often reveals any underlying problems hidden by a warm engine) it hesitated at 2 points through the rev range, is there some sort of electronic stop from letting you do that? as once it was warm it was fine.

Look forward to hearing your replies

Henry

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Hi Henry Welcome to CS, get full membership and you can view members cars for sale

Hey welcome. There's plenty out there that will be better condition for your price range. All with less miles and full fat, fsh the works. Not sure which blue you mean when you say pastol blue. In 182s there's racing blue arctic and petrol. If you mean petrol you'll have a hard time finding one since there's like 26 of them. Racing blue in ff there's quite a few, but there's more cups. Arctic loads. But the 182 cups do have a/c as I found out when I was looking for one.

as you said, they do all need the aux and cam belt done and pulley too. They all suffer from melting on the steering wheel, unless it's been refurbished nicely. But yeah anything you need to know you'll find somewhere on here.