ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with clio F1, slow speed problems

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Hi guys, i have recently purchased a silver clio F1, moved from the ford side.
very impressed with the car. it came with a cobra sports exhaust from the cat back, not sure if its a good brand or not tbh but i have a question, the car is very kangarooie in 1st and second gear, the idol is fine but slow speeds in 1st and 2nd im being thrown backwards and forwards. i got the car from a dealership and they couldnt tell me whats been done to it, do you think this could indicate a set of high lift cams? because after 4000rpm the car picks up and revs all the way to 8000rpm

Cheers Ben

RS6 C7
It is quite common i believe, I know my dad's old 197 used to be a bit jumpy in the low gears and iv'e heard similar stories on here, After he got rid he told me it might have been a lambda sensor and someone else mentioned running them on the higher octane fuel can improve it, I have have no idea if these will work but they are relatively cheap option, Get some pictures of the car up aswell :)

Last edited:

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
hey thanks for the fast reply, ive tried the higher octane not much diffrence i shall have a look at the lamba sensors, im guessing he front on is the o2 sensor?

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg

The pics show that this isn't a renault dealership so you could go to your nearest and ask them to check any history that they have on the car to see if it had the software update from renault that partially remedies this problem. Since having it done to my F1 it is very rare that the car kangaroos - although I am sure that my driving style has changed to minimise the chances of this happening. I dont know if they will charge you now as the update has been out for quite sometime, although if the car is due a service or something you might be able barter it as a freebie. As far as I know my car is healthy and I experience reasonable response below 4k (I have the flat spot at about 3.5k) but the car does pick up after that. More info can be had on 197.net. Hope this helps

Clio 172 Phase 1
Is it worse when the cars cold? or the same when its fully warmed up?

My mates does it when it's cold so has to be very gentle till it's warmed up

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
It's at all temperatures, hot or cold, cheers for the fast supply I'll get to Renault ASAP to find out about its history

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Welcome mate all RS clios are a bit kangaroo from cold sometimes. Get an RS tuner that will cure it !

LY R27
My r27 kangaroos from cold all the time, though since i switched to vpower it doesn't do it quite so much, but just give it a minute before driving and it will disappear

and the 4k power is due to the VVT in the engine (Variable Valve Timing) - similar to how a Vtec works, thats why you get a sudden urge of power after this and why it can rev so high

its an r27 and thats what they are! all id recommend is as mentioned above, put in a higher octane fuel, give it a minute before driving it to warm up and also keep it well serviced :)

congrats on the purchase

Monaco 172
Unfortunately this is just one of the 197 little problem, there is a patch for the ECU available from Renault but it doesn't really help that much. When I had mine I just got used to leaving it running for about 5-10min before setting off on a journey to avoid this but when the engine cold it's unavoidable unfortunely.

Cold will kangaroo, warmed up it will be fine.

Bendunn

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy #24 NimbusR27
Cheers for all the replies, just wanted to make sure it wasent cammed to death or had problems I'll get over to Renault ASAP to get the patch and keep running on higher octain fuels

One of the reasons causing it to "kangaroo" will be the after market exhaust, as soon as you alter the exhaust in any way on a 197/200 they develop a noticeable flat spot at around 2500rpm.

and the 4k power is due to the VVT in the engine (Variable Valve Timing) - similar to how a Vtec works, thats why you get a sudden urge of power after this and why it can rev so high

No it isn't.