ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nice ph1's, worth tucking away for a few years?

Ph1
What makes any car valuable? Supply and demand.

With their current rock bottom values, track car following and the amount being broken and written off, supply of Sports over the next few years will plummet.

If the demand starts to stretch supply then this is when you could see values rise.

The Sports are a good car, good handling and have a large cult following so there is a potential for demand in a good few years to come.

RS turbo Series 1's are now starting to make big money but don't forget their 26 years old lol plus being a Ford has a massive cult following hence knock on high value.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
RS turbo Series 1's are now starting to make big money but don't forget their 26 years old lol plus being a Ford has a massive cult following hence knock on high value.

Cant argue with that.... the boy racer era of the S1 turbo has come.... & long gone..... People when they look at them at shows.. are mostly interested in what work they have had.... & how original they are.... very picky people.

Clio 172
It sounds like a good idea so that you can relive your youth as you get older, but in 10-15 years time i wouldn't like to imagine the fuel bill!

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
As a toy I don't see much issue with the op's plans. As an investment, no chance.
The money it would cost to keep the car road worthy over the years will wipe out any potential increase in the value as it becomes more rare.

Badly protected metal parts rust up, rubber perishes, electrical components corrode, lubricated areas dry out.
To store something away for a decade means a lot of time effort and money to do it properly (humidity and heat control for one).

Keeping it taxed and tested and tucked up for every other Sunday would be your best bet.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
As a toy I don't see much issue with the op's plans. As an investment, no chance.
The money it would cost to keep the car road worthy over the years will wipe out any potential increase in the value as it becomes more rare.

Badly protected metal parts rust up, rubber perishes, electrical components corrode, lubricated areas dry out.
To store something away for a decade means a lot of time effort and money to do it properly (humidity and heat control for one).

Keeping it taxed and tested and tucked up for every other Sunday would be your best bet.

Yeah I would have it garaged but use at weekends or days off weather dependant.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Source a mint clio Williams that will be a better investment than a phase 1 IMO.

If only. I do know a good friend of my dad who has a mk1 golf gti he has owned from new with 30k on the clock though, it's sat in his garage and is as good as new :cool:

225 Cup & Williams
Really? I thought you were being funny lol..:eek:

Aye I pretty much look at every one that comes up for sale on eBay, piston heads etc and a good amount have had a few owners and part to no service history. Have to remember these cars are 20 years old with 2's and 3's being a bit newer obviously so mileage is going to be high on a lot of them. Doesn't bother me personally but loads of folk get hung on on stuff like that.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
I'd be wanting an original low miler, but then I'd never find one like my old one :(

PH1 Clio 172
I'd stash it. I've just sod my Mk2 XR2 for £2K and that was cheap apparently. In the 90's there were shed loads and when I had it so many people stopped to say they had one or knew someone that had one....and crashed it! I regret selling it but needed to buy a family wagon unfortunately