ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nickson's Titanium PH1 172

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I got one bolt off, one snapped and one is just spinning. No new exhaust mount for me!

Not good!
One of mine was spinning ages ago when I changed to a new "old style" mount. You can see in the picture the bolt nearest the camera is different to the rest as I managed to bugger it up and had to fit a new one!

Just slap a spanner on the other side! Or if I remember correctly.. The plates with the threads in are square shaped? Unsure, but its late and I'm tired, so please excuse any idiocy!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Teeny update..

img2011052200142.jpg

Obviously.. The inevitable happened..

img2011052200143.jpg

:(

Excuse the dirt! She needs a clean :eek:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Had a nice little delivery from Opie Oils today!

img2011052600152.jpg

Just to keep her running sweet :eek:

Still awaiting delivery of my AST Top mounts, so no update on that yet.

Started looking at Megane 225's as a replacement for the Clio, for some reason after I have owned a car for a year or so, I get the itch to want to buy something different!
A bad idea after all of the work that has gone into it I know!

Still needing the cars geo setting up, but waiting for the AST's to come and then get it done.

Thats about it really!

Had a nice little delivery from Opie Oils today!

img2011052600152.jpg

Just to keep her running sweet :eek:

Still awaiting delivery of my AST Top mounts, so no update on that yet.

Started looking at Megane 225's as a replacement for the Clio, for some reason after I have owned a car for a year or so, I get the itch to want to buy something different!
A bad idea after all of the work that has gone into it I know!

Still needing the cars geo setting up, but waiting for the AST's to come and then get it done.

Thats about it really!

How much will you sell for? Seriously interested!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
How much will you sell for? Seriously interested!

Not sure yet mate.
I was only looking at Megane's to see what kind of price they go for etc.

Would ideally like to P/X with one so I am not without a car, wont be getting rid just yet though :)

I have just recieved this:

img2011052800153.jpg

Meaning I can now give her a nice service for her 70,000's mile anniversary.

Also maybe looking at a PH2 dash conversion gauging on how well Rob's goes.

Cheers :)

Evo 5 RS
someone would be getting a solid car there if you sold up shop. tbh the ph2 dash is a bit of a pig, just get it flocked mate tbh

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
i wouldn't p/x your car with a garage. you'll get next to nothing for it being an old car, private would be best bet mate.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldn't p/x your car with a garage. you'll get next to nothing for it being an old car, private would be best bet mate.

Nono I was'nt thinking about P/X'ing with a garage!
I was thinking of looking around for someone that might be wanting to downsize to a Clio from a Megane, with cash their way obviously.

Long shot I know, but its a possibility :)

EDIT: Just as I posted the above, I saw this:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...NAULTSPORT-230-F1-TEAM-R26-%282007%29-%A36700

Ha!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome progress on this car, the stance is spot on

Thanks very much mate!
Will try to get some proper pictures up soon, show it off a little more :eek:

lol i was looking at that Megane aswell, was quite tempted :eek:

Haha great minds and all that ;)

Not sure why I'm looking at Meganes.. They just seem like a nice step up from the Clio.. Bigger, and slightly more powerful with some boost to play with.

We shall see, but for now, the Clio stays!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You already know I love it.

As for the dash, if you were local, I'd come and help you do it, as you're not I've got no problem guiding all the way through it.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

As for the dash, if you were local, I'd come and help you do it, as you're not I've got no problem guiding all the way through it.

fancy a drive to scotland to do mine rob? ;) lol you going to fcs this year?

Nickson - Any sign of your top mounts yet? quite annoyed its taking this long! im getting my car set up on wed for fcs and cant wait any longer for them to turn up, so ill need to get them on when they arrive and get it all set up again :(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member

:eek: Cheers man!
I know the distance is a bit of a bugger!
How's your's coming along mate? Looked awesome in the recent pics you put up. Spurred me on to want to do it again!

fancy a drive to scotland to do mine rob? ;) lol you going to fcs this year?

Nickson - Any sign of your top mounts yet? quite annoyed its taking this long! im getting my car set up on wed for fcs and cant wait any longer for them to turn up, so ill need to get them on when they arrive and get it all set up again :(

No sign whatsoever yet mate!
I know the feeling. Im wanting to get the cars geo setting up, but want to get the mounts first!
There havent been any updates in the thread either :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
:eek: Cheers man!
I know the distance is a bit of a bugger!
How's your's coming along mate? Looked awesome in the recent pics you put up. Spurred me on to want to do it again!

It's almost there mate, the whole conversion as such is done, I've got two things to wire up, and I know how to do them both, it's just a case of cutting the wires and doing it tomorrow really.

All I'm waiting on is a couple of trim parts I'm picking up at FCS and it'll be perfect :)

Honestly, it wasn't actually as difficult as I thought.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
It's almost there mate, the whole conversion as such is done, I've got two things to wire up, and I know how to do them both, it's just a case of cutting the wires and doing it tomorrow really.

All I'm waiting on is a couple of trim parts I'm picking up at FCS and it'll be perfect :)

Honestly, it wasn't actually as difficult as I thought.

Glad to hear it went well man!
Seriously considering this for mine... ;)

Need some pictures of the finished article now!

Today I had a bit of a fail in the Clio.
Was half way to dropping the girlfriend off at work, I applied the brakes as I was approaching a junction and there was a huge "BANG" at the rear of the car.. I came to a gentle stop at the side of the road as something didnt feel right.
Having pulled over and attempted to apply the handbrake, the lever came right up. Something had gone wrong with the rear brakes.
After closer inspection, I found this:

img2011060300161.jpg

img2011060300162.jpg

Notice anything missing?
I looked down the road to see where the missing pad had ended up.
I then looked under the rear of the car and it was sat inside of the wheel, chewed up..

How on earth can a caliper spit a pad out?
I managed to get the car home ok, but there was some horrible grinding noises on the way.
Fortunately the caliper has not grooved the disc, so I think I will be able to continue using it once the pad is refitted..

Scared the life out of me, and very confused as to what happened!
Will jack it up and get the wheel off tomorrow for a closer look and to refit the pad.

Picture of the pad in question.

img2011060300163.jpg

Very strange!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
that happened to me before, did you put the metal pins in to stop the pads moving? cant see any in the pics, if not. that would be why.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
wow!

i've not heard of that happening before.

Nor me mate, very strange indeed.
Needless to say, I will be getting her back on the road ASAP!

that happened to me before, did you put the metal pins in to stop the pads moving? cant see any in the pics, if not. that would be why.

The pins were there before this happened yes!
The silver spring clips we are on about yeah?
Both were present and fitted before this happened. Need to get some new pads now as the spring clips are now somewhere in the south of the country!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Made some progress with the car today!

I jacked it up, and removed the rear wheel to be greeted with this:

img2011060400166.jpg

img2011060400167.jpg

Took the carrier off and wound the piston back into the caliper, refitted the pads and carrier and gave it a wire brush down.
From looking at the carrier and pads, there was no indication as to what might of caused this to happen!
Im guessing the "wedge" piece used to secure the pads has worked its way loose and fallen out, causing the pad to come out.

As the car is my daily, Im pretty stuffed without the use of it, and having recently changed all the pads and discs on the car, I was certain I had the old springs and wedge somewhere, as I keep all of the parts I remove from the car unless they are totally useless!
I rumaged around the garage looking for the missing parts I needed, et voila!

img2011060400168.jpg

But no wedge in sight :(, bugger!
With the local Trents, GSF and Eurocarparts being closed tomorrow, I do not really have much choice as to what to do! I have opened a "Wanted" ad, but no-one ever looks in there :rasp:
Will be making a trip to Silverlakes tomorrow morning to see if they have anything I can nab the pad wedge out of.
Fingers crossed really, as they usually have stocks of VTS's and VTR's that have been written off!

Failing that, I will be ordering one of these tomorrow, for delivery early as possible next week!

eBayISAPI.dll
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120550961410&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Got another pic of the pad today as well.
Still perfectly usable? Or best of getting some replacement pads whilst I'm at it?

img2011060400169.jpg

Cheers guys!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
We have updates!
Woke up at 8:30 to leave at 9 for a trip down to Silverlakes scrap yard in Botley, Southampton. (http://www.silverlakeautoparts.co.uk/)
Having been there many a time before, they normally have an abundance of written off VTR's etc, so I thought finding the part I needed would be easy as pie.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be more of a bugger than I first thought..

Having searched the entire scrapyard, I found nothing. Until, hidden in the corner I spotted a little green Citroen AX.
A quick glimpse at its front calipers revealed the little wedge part I was needing for my Clio, result!
Took a good 20 minutes to get the first one off, due to being well and truely siezed in there.
I thought it best to take both of them just incase I managed to bugger something up when fitting, or even if one decides to pop out again!

Took them to the front counter, and was told I could have them free of charge, as they were such a small, worthless item ;)

Having got them home, here they are!

img2011060500175.jpg

Beautiful, don't you think?

I compared them to the one on the drivers side of the Clio, and they appeared to be farrrrrr tooooooo long, so decided to give them a quick trim with the hacksaw, and file the burrs off:

img2011060500176.jpg

img2011060500177.jpg

Please ignore the hash of a first hacksaw cut, it was going to be slightly too short :eek:.

The rain had been pouring all afternoon, and getting me soaked whilst trying to fit the pads back into the carrier and get them all secured in with the new wedge piece, so I fashioned myself a shelter ;)

img2011060500178.jpg

Looks rather shady, but worked a treat!

Having finished fitting the pads etc, I had a healthy looking rear brake again, hopefully with recent events not to be repeating themselves!

img2011060500179.jpg

I would have painted the rusty parts, but seeing as it was raining, I really could not stand getting any wetter.

Untill....

I decided to sort the drivers side out as well.
I didn't want any more pads being spat out at me, so decided it would be best if I had a look at my handywork on the drivers side caliper:

img2011060500180.jpg

Doesn't quite look right?

Got the new wedge fitted, and fitted the pads correctly, and had everything looking fine and dandy within a few minutes:

img2011060500181.jpg

Hopefully, fingers crossed I will not be getting any more problems with them!

Took it for a drive and everything seems fine at the moment, so happy with that!

Apart from the fact that it cost me £20 in petrol to get to Southampton and back in a mates IS200.. Terrible MPG for some reason, wouldnt recommend them :rasp:

A little update to come is that I will be trying headlight correction this coming weekend using a machine polisher etc, will get some high res before and after pics for comparison!

Thanks for reading.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff that it's back running again simple enough fix aswell. I need rear brakes for mine asap.

Cheers man!
Very easy fix, was just a bugger getting hold of the part, that wedge in particular!

Little update, found these at home today ;)

img2011060800183.jpg

Will be fitting them ASAP and selling the Ktecs on.

Will also be getting a full geometry setup, but not sure where to take it to get it done!

:)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Good work mate, it seems you forgot to refit the little wedges on both sides then? LOL!

I'm not sure I'd be trusting you to do a ph2 dash conversion now :p

BTW, if you want a full parts list, let me know and I'll write one/pm you with pics.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Good work mate, it seems you forgot to refit the little wedges on both sides then? LOL!

I'm not sure I'd be trusting you to do a ph2 dash conversion now :p

BTW, if you want a full parts list, let me know and I'll write one/pm you with pics.

Nooo!

The wedge was definitely there to begin with, but look at the springs! They are wrong.

Also, if you look closely on the drivers side, the wedge is there, its just veryyyy dirty ;)

Ouch! Its only a lump of plastic, how hard can it be? :p

Yes please mate! That would be brilliant if you would :eek:

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
looking good, what bolts did they give you 6.6? if so i would invest in some stronger ones as mine snapped when i went to take mine off.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
looking good, what bolts did they give you 6.6? if so i would invest in some stronger ones as mine snapped when i went to take mine off.

Thanks man :)

Not sure about the bolts! I literally unpacked them, then had to rush back to work :(

I saw you saying elsewhere that you had manged to snap a bolt, not good!

Will see how I get on with these, and swap them out accordingly!

Thanks though mate :)

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks man :)

Not sure about the bolts! I literally unpacked them, then had to rush back to work :(

I saw you saying elsewhere that you had manged to snap a bolt, not good!

Will see how I get on with these, and swap them out accordingly!

Thanks though mate :)

no problem dont want others having them snap! when you get home check on the top of the bolt and if it says 6.6 then order some stronger ones ;)

the ones i have are "M5 20mm 12.9 high tensile zinc bolts" can pick them up on ebay for a couple of quid.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
My top mounts still not here :( had a e-mail saying theyve been shipped though! look forward to seeing them fitted :cool:

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
no problem dont want others having them snap! when you get home check on the top of the bolt and if it says 6.6 then order some stronger ones ;)

the ones i have are "M5 20mm 12.9 high tensile zinc bolts" can pick them up on ebay for a couple of quid.

They are the 6.6 ones!

Do you just so happen to have a link to the stronger ones? :eek:

My top mounts still not here :( had a e-mail saying theyve been shipped though! look forward to seeing them fitted :cool:

Ah!
You should have them tomorrow then mate!
I didnt expect them now as there have been vague updates, but happy they have arrived!
Awesome looking piece of kit :D

what is your upinion about the ktecs? did they improve the handling?
maybe interested in them

The Ktecs were good yeah!
Improved the feel of the handling no end!
The only problem is they knock slightly so I was going to sell them as spares/repairs for £30.

Getting the AST's are being fitted Friday afternoon!
I have also ordered new track rod ends and balljoints just to tighten the front end up ready for the full geo setup :approve:

Cheers!