ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Night Sky Photography - How can I improve/what am I doing wrong?

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Hi all,
Looking for a bit of advice.
I tried the camera out last night as it was a clear sky.

Is the main problem with my test photos below the light pollution?
Also, if this is or isn't the case, what else could I do to improve?

I used a low aperture, high ISO (800-3200) and a 30 second exposure with a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens.

23619815984_bd8c936b3b_k.jpg
Star Photos - Testing by Sonny Bramley, on Flickr

23952445130_a81e6344c5_k.jpg

24248040945_83fff75af8_k.jpg
23619815984_bd8c936b3b_k.jpg
Star Photos - Testing[/url] by Sonny Bramley, on Flickr[/IMG]

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
When you say improve, what effect are you trying to get? Star trails?

Light pollution is affecting them though yes.

@Aaron.. will be able to help.
Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't going for star trails, just a good picture of the stars that can't be seen with the eye. I'd like to get a milky way photograph but I assume the conditions need to be perfect for this.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
As James says, light pollution it having an effect on your shots. The way to resolve this is by going miles away from populated areas, and I do mean miles!
You have a bit of trailing in your second image, can't see the exif details because the picture is set to private but if it's 30 seconds, try shooting at 20-25 instead and you'll get sharper images where the stars don't start to trail.

Nothing wrong with the iso, I generally shoot between 3200-5000, maybe 8000 if I'm doing a short exposure timelapse (usually 8-10 seconds, f2.8)

The milky way isn't great this time of year, wait until April October for the best part to be visible, peaking July- August but you'll have to stay out super late to get the dark skies for it midnight - 2 am ish in July.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
For a first attempt - absolutely fine. As for improving ...

Focus / subject:
Make sure your subject is interesting / actually in shot. Those trees are out of focus - I guess it was windy and probably not focused properly anyway.

Use the onboard 2-second timer, if not 10-second timer. Make sure the camera is still before the shutter opens !!

For static star shots - High ISO, low number f-stop. So ISO 1600 / f/4.0, see what it looks like, fiddle the numbers to see if you can get it looking any better.

Use an app / website which calculates longest shutter speed you can get away with before movement shows, for a given focal length.

Watch out for the moon. It will crash your party more than you can imagine for something that comes out at night... and it moves bloody quickly.

Aside from that - composition is key.. as with any photo. White balance too is important to look 'right'.

15963730930_4c24d87db4_c.jpg
Iron Man
by Rob James, on Flickr

12059277354_a45f314a20_c.jpg
The Unit at night
by Rob James, on Flickr

15739092473_0cdcfcd2ed_c.jpg
ChurchMiniStack
by Rob James, on Flickr

Or make them move....

11226662354_2c3b03a13b_c.jpg
Planes, trains and Earths rotation over approximately 20 minutes shown by the stars
by Rob James, on Flickr

Good luck !

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't you use a higher f. number rather than 4, to get a sharper image?

2004 Clio 182
Hi all,
Looking for a bit of advice.
I tried the camera out last night as it was a clear sky.

Is the main problem with my test photos below the light pollution?
Also, if this is or isn't the case, what else could I do to improve?

Late to this party, but check out this..

http://karllindsayphotography.com/blog/2013/04/how-to-take-stunning-night-photos-1

3 parts guide to doing so, it's what I used as a base for my knowledge then went out and practiced time and time again. Trial and error, every camera/lens set up will react differently, and everyday is different!

Some great advice from TheEvilGiraffe and Aaron..

You can also capture the milky way in major light pollution by way over exposing it, then adjusting curves bringing in contrast etc, but there's a limit to how far you can push that!

This gives an idea of light pollution, shot at the beginning of September if I remember rightly just as the milky way's 'galactic centre' starts disappearing on the horizon. ISO3200, 25secs at f/2,8 11mm (cropped sensor so realistically 17mm ish)

DSC_6550_zpsb2pxez16.jpg

DSC_6559_zpst5sbexfq.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Cheers! I probably go hunting the milky way more than landscapes now, although I've started working more with people/models to try and spice things up a bit :wink:

Tbh id have no idea how to find the Milky Way bar point the camera at the sky lol

2004 Clio 182
Tbh id have no idea how to find the Milky Way bar point the camera at the sky lol
Fair! I use an app called star walk, pretty handy as it points you exactly to the right place! Trial and error eh. You can always count on the best bit being somewhere towards the S/SW in summer

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Fair! I use an app called star walk, pretty handy as it points you exactly to the right place! Trial and error eh. You can always count on the best bit being somewhere towards the S/SW in summer

Thanks, just downloaded the app!

I'm guessing it isn't actually labelled as the Milky Way?

2004 Clio 182
Thanks, just downloaded the app!

I'm guessing it isn't actually labelled as the Milky Way?

It should be quite noticeable as a belt of stars. Look for the constellation Sagittarius also, that'll point you in the right direction!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Get somewhere dark enough and you will see it easily mate. I can pick it out at home now in a fairly light polluted town. It should be fairly obvious on the app, looks like a massive cloud.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Get somewhere dark enough and you will see it easily mate. I can pick it out at home now in a fairly light polluted town. It should be fairly obvious on the app, looks like a massive cloud.

Even when I'm out in the sticks here and the stars are very clear I can't see it, well I haven't so far.

I'm down in Kent for the Easter weekend so hopefully I'll be able to pick it out.

I was going to try tonight but the sky is cloudy as f**k :(

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The missus is out tonight and I've got the little one. Whilst I absolutely love him to bits, I can't believe that this is kicking off. Taken from my porch, all my mates are out with the cameras checking this! Sorry for the FB quality. Just editing some more.

12799342_10154605141252892_7585785071073779334_n.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
The missus is out tonight and I've got the little one. Whilst I absolutely love him to bits, I can't believe that this is kicking off. Taken from my porch, all my mates are out with the cameras checking this! Sorry for the FB quality. Just editing some more.

12799342_10154605141252892_7585785071073779334_n.jpg

Aurora ?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Use Stellarium Mobile app, that is one of the best for finding Milky Way. With this app it is very easy to figure out when and where the Milky Way will be visible.
For example I used Stellarium and Google Map when I planned this pic:

20098585976_06e4d5529b_z.jpg
I'm the light in the night
by <-Y->, on Flickr