ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40/ D40X

My b/f has hinted he wants one of the above for christmas ,but unsure if to spend the extra £100 and go for the D40X. Anyone know of cheaper places to buy and should I wait closer to Chritmas to buy it.

Any feedback or comments welcomed

i dont like the nikons good cameras i just dont get on with them
i like my 400d

you are aware that just buying the camera isnt enough you hav eto buy the rest of the kit too its a very expensive hobby

first thing to ask is he actually any good at taking photos and why does he want an slr ?

Fiat Panda 100hp
they kit isnt that expensive. I bought the D40 about 4 weeks ago along with a tripod a bad and a 1GB card. Came to around £380.

The standard lens that comes with the d40/x is good enough to start with.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I read in one of the digital camera magazines recently that, they think it's only worth getting the d40x over the d40 if you are gonna be printing the photos in large sizes (bigger than a4)

Fiat Panda 100hp
I read in one of the digital camera magazines recently that, they think it's only worth getting the d40x over the d40 if you are gonna be printing the photos in large sizes (bigger than a4)

Yer there excatly the same about from the resolution different.

The D40 is 6mp which is enough to print onto A3 paper. Which is enough for me.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
d40x is not worth £100 more for 4 megapixels. if you're thinking of spending over £350, i'd go for the 400d.

is that a Cannon 400d?

so what u sayin is if he's gunna print the pics A4 or bigger go for the d40x if not get the d40 if i stick to the nikon ones

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Yer there excatly the same about from the resolution different.

The D40 is 6mp which is enough to print onto A3 paper. Which is enough for me.
Yeah i thought it was a3 but i wasn't sure. They went on about benefits of having a smaller mp count if you don't plan on printing large pics.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
lets face it, who is actually going to print anything bigger than a3? get the d40, and spend the £100 on a lens or some accessories

Conteo any chance u can post some pics up that u have taken with it so i can see the quality b4 I spend a few hundred on one

Rally bus
D40 will be fine, I've done prints at 30"x20" with a 6Mp camera. If you want to see sample pics pm me please.

2016 Audi RS3
My girlfriend has got a D40. I used it a little when we went to the New Forest recently - good camera imo.

Fiat Panda 100hp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conteo/

1616464335_62ff959749.png

1617338718_18b3dac697.png

1617333848_fa072142d3.png

1572795595_08befa2770.png

Some for you :)

182chick you'll be wasting yout time picking the camera on user images on the web, that'll come down to user skill, post processing and lenses.

If your mr is going to stick with the kit lens for a long while its not really going to matter. If he however gets an addication for fast prime lenses like the 50 f/1.8 then he'll have to get good at manual focus with the D40 as it doesn't have a focus motor.

Prices..
http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

And that eBay link is probably imports, couldn't see anything about warranty?

My ickle gallery for 350D images http://pete-eos.deviantart.com/

Cheers guys his dad has the d80 with verious lens so he can use them if he wants to progress.
I still cant decide between the d40 and d40x

As bluepete says 182chick, the D40/x has no focus motor that some Nikon fit lenses need so using his old mans lenses may only be an option with manual focus. IIRC it is Nikon AF lenses that wont autofocus and AF/S that do. I have a D50 btw, great camera

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Find out if the lenses are af-s ones though, otherwise they won't work properly with the d40/x.

beaten to it by MrAtego :p

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i would go for the 40... i love nikon camera's some of the cannon lenses are very nice though... i use a nikon d2x which is the nikon pro model allthough it was replaced with the d2xs but the firmware update pretty much makes the d2x a xs lol... anyway personally i would wait a month or so cos the d3 and the d300 i think it is are coming out so the d80 etc will drop in price...

the nikons produce a much nicer sky tone than the cannons do without processing...

Since his dad has a D80, stick with Nikon.

If his dad has loads of AF lenses then consider the D50 or D70s, he might prefer these as they alre also bigger. If he has AF-S lenses then go for the D40x, looking at prices, its £64 difference. If you can't decide, flip a coin, it won't make that much difference to his images.

6mp is plenty, I wouldn't spend the extra personally. I've had images published in a magazine at A3, and had several pictures blown up onto canvas etc for people and I've never had any quality issues (I use a D50, same sensor as the D40 irrc). If you take a sharp picture it will do you well up to a very large size indeed.

Thanks guy's for all ur help
So im looking at either getting the D40 now or waiting a month for the D80 to drop in price if they will.

Whats the difference in the D40, 50,60,70 and 80 Except the price
Thanks ib advance

Megane Mk4
Thanks guy's for all ur help
So im looking at either getting the D40 now or waiting a month for the D80 to drop in price if they will.

Whats the difference in the D40, 50,60,70 and 80 Except the price
Thanks ib advance
The D40 was a replacement DSLR for the D50 and D70, same camera only the D50/D70 both have smaller colour LCD preview screens on the back and both had digital LCD panel readouts on the top. (D50 discontinued in 2006, D70 discontinued 2007)
The D60 doesn't exist.
The D80 is roughly the same as the D40x apart from the D80 has a few extra settings but it's not worth the price difference.

In some places the D40 is now £299, Jessops.com is one of them.
I have a D40 and swear by it, here's some examples of photos I've taken. :approve:

**Edit - top two pictures are taken with the standard 18/55mm AF-S Nikon lense that came with the camera, the bottom two were at 300mm with a Sigma 70/300mm MF lense which also has macro setting which was bought at £100 in a Jessops.com online sale ;) **

a_lincoln_sunset.jpg

campfire.jpg

helicopter.jpg

water_on_car.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Andi-b

Thanks for clarifying the differences.

Somy decission is im gunna get him the d40x, he loves his dad's d80 so il get him the cheaper version, but hopefully with the same quality.

The d40 is currently £299 is currys
The d40x is currently £399 is currys
Both have been reduced recently

Shall I buy now or wait

I can't imagine they will go any lower than that (particuarly the D40 anyway), sweet sweet price for a great piece of kit.

Worth pointing out again that the D40 isn't the same camera as the D50/70, they removed the auto-focus motor to reduce costs (and the fact that Nikon's new lens will gradually move over to built-in motors ...'AF-S' and 'AF-I') which means that many great lens such as the 50mm f1.8 will only work with manual focus.

Last edited: