ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No drive, but driveshaft turning

Went round a tight corner today and lost all drive! It seems the nearside driveshaft is turning in neutral, but the drivers side isn't. Horrible sound when turning the wheel left hand down. Speedo doesnt rise with revs. The garage I bought it from recently replaced the driveshaft gaitor, im guessing theyve fudged something right up!?!

On another note, the car seemed to fix itself after bring towed 10 miles, but it happened again the other day. I'm assuming driveshaft as there is so much play in it! Doesn't look like its anything obvious though

Ta. Car is a 172

Megane r26
Went round a tight corner today and lost all drive! It seems the nearside driveshaft is turning in neutral, but the drivers side isn't. Horrible sound when turning the wheel left hand down. Speedo doesnt rise with revs. The garage I bought it from recently replaced the driveshaft gaitor, im guessing theyve fudged something right up!?! Ta. Car is a 172

Circlip and washer popped out by the sounds of it chap.

Thanks Dan. I've got an after market warranty but maybe I'll take it back to the garage instead, or at least tow it!! Ta

Megane r26
No worries mate, sometimes you can get away with a new washer and clip if it hasn't damaged the recess it sits in, failing that you can spot weld it into place

If you remove the passenger driveshaft the diff drive will come out with the shaft and you'll have to fish the bits out the box lol

I have a spare clio and washer brand new here I can sell if needs be

Sounds nasty! My warranty doesn't cover rubber gaitors, having just checked. Definetly back to the garage! I'll let the cowboys know if they need the parts :)

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
If the speedo doesn't rise with the revs it may not be the circlip! Maybe your driveshaft failed

Clio II 172 RS Ph1
Yep, had the same issue on another car. High probability the CV joint is shot.

Tip: try to find a new shaft + CV joint (already joined together).