ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No drive, clutch?

172 Cup
Recently had a new box, clutch and flywheel fitted, last night the clutch all of a sudden slipped badly while pulling away in 1st, it then lasted about half a mile before i lost drive. All gears can be selected and the engine revs ok. If you release the clutch while in a gear you just get a whining noise. Is it possible for a clutch to last less than 100 miles?

Ph2 172
Not normally only times I have seen this is faulty pressure plate or something gone wrong with fitting

Long shot and depends on your model etc but there is a spline coupling on the offside shaft, these can wear and slip, causing loss of drive and a bizarre sound.... Worth a look.

172 Cup
The speedo and rev counter works ok, yeah sorry i meant a second hand box. Fairly sure its clutch related, horrible burning smell when it happened. Will take a look in the week see what i find, hopefully its not too expensive.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
If you can but it in gear and your speedo increases with your revs then your circlip has gone..

172 Cup
If the circlip had poped out then i take it you would lose drive instantly. Worth a check.

172 Cup
Speedo increase when revved in neutral, wheels spin freely when in gear and there is a knocking noise when on tick over.