ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise proofing for Ktec stealth on 172 cup

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Not had my Clio 172 cup long and I've had my moments in early ownership of letting her go for something else or sticking with it. I'm feeling more toward keeping but I have an issue with the car cruising at 70mph and the droning from the exhaust. I've put some carpet in the spare wheel well and lined with the factory carpet with cardboard. All of this seems to have helped reduce the drone in the rear but it's still annoying in the front (my family hate it). Obviously as it's a cup, it has minimal soundproofing anyway but are there any specific places I could put some carpet or dynamat or something where it will reduce the drone? My bro suggested putting some along the firewall in the engine bay and following the path of the exhaust inside the car with dynamat. The exhaust is a Ktec stealth with midbox with a decat pipe.
Other option is to refit a cat or maybe put some barrier between the exhaust and underneath of the car to deflect the noise away. Sensible suggestions welcomed as it's my first RS and I'm trying to enjoy it as a daily which involves motorway running.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh refitting the cat wont make a huge amount of difference. It will make some but i have the same as yours with my cat in place and it still drones at that speed.

clio172cup.civic mb4
I've just got a cat back stock and the car a 172 cup like yours run far better now hardly any pops and bangs plus so much smoother now. Got it from sutton auto factors for about £120 so even though you can find them cheaper still not much at all really.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
i had this same issue, depending on the age of the exhaust the baffles in the rear box can go on them giving a much louder/Boomy sound