ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Non starting help required!

Volvo V70 Clio172
Right i will try to keep this short.

She won’t start ???.

So the detail I have completed a cambelt and dephaser change over the last couple of weeks due one reason and another it’s taken that long.
Buttoned her up last night ready to start her timing correct turned over by hand. Battery reconnected this morning and the fuel pump is not priming all lightsnon the dash show ok to assume no immobiliser issues?!?!?

She spins over freely I’ve cleaned the relay terminals but for the life of me cannot crack see the issue.

All help gratefully received I’m booked in at Cadwell on the 11th last day of the year any assistance will be rewarded with a brew.

Volvo V70 Clio172
Anyone?

I have a good voltage to the relay on the supply side I.e large terms and can get this to the pump.

I’m also now not sure the pump is priming could this be the immobiliser? Although I would have thought it wouldn’t show any ignition lights?

dan's cast offs.
pump doesn't prime on first cycle of ignition, it's second time. there is another time it will prime first cycle but majority of the time for checking it's second cycle.

Volvo V70 Clio172
Still looking for some assistance or advice on where to take her I guess in the Midlands.

So today I have proven that the fuel relay is definitely sending a prime 12v to the pump. I’ve had the pump out and tested that all ?

What I can’t get is a spark or the pump to continuously pump no fuel at the rail. I have also noticed upon cranking the ground cable is getting warm so have cleaned all connections and removed and cleaned the ground from the gearcasing to the body.

Any ideas greatfully recieved or what should I be testing next I’m sure it’s electrical

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
You need three things for an engine to run; fuel, correctly timed spark, and compression.

Find out what is missing. Fuel is easy enough crank it with the rail & injectors out see if they fire (BE CAREFUL)
Compression is mechanical and easily checked with a gauge
Spark use a spark tester or earth the plug on the engine and crank over watching for a spark.

Once you determine whats missing you go from there. If it ran before you took it apart and now it doesnt chances are youve spazzed something up. Go back over everything and refit the timing tool set to make sure its still timed right.

Volvo V70 Clio172
Electrical connection to the fuel pump and dodgy relay connection.

Although it does now start I think my timing is out.

Volvo V70 Clio172
You need three things for an engine to run; fuel, correctly timed spark, and compression.

Find out what is missing. Fuel is easy enough crank it with the rail & injectors out see if they fire (BE CAREFUL)
Compression is mechanical and easily checked with a gauge
Spark use a spark tester or earth the plug on the engine and crank over watching for a spark.

Once you determine whats missing you go from there. If it ran before you took it apart and now it doesnt chances are youve spazzed something up. Go back over everything and refit the timing tool set to make sure its still timed right.