ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not a happy bunny - Potential Gearbox issue

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Hi Guys, looking for some advice on this as I am a little confused by my renault dealer. I booked the car in for the front wheel bearings as it was making a whirring/humming noise especially on right hand bends. The garage have phoned and told me there is nothing wrong with the wheel bearings and that the noise is coming from the gearbox as it has apparently "burned" it's oil and the oil is low. I am confused at how internal wear in the box would make a louder sound dependent on direction regardless of which gear I am in?

Has anyone else experienced this or have any thoughts?

Thanks

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Yeah, droning noise, much louder on right hand bends. There was a small rattle when accelerating hard (above 3000K rpm), but sounded exhaust related...

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm 99% sure it'd be the wheel bearing(s).

But it could potentially be a CV joint.

Jack the car up and see if the wheel has any play...

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Ok, Many thanks for you replies guys, I am going to take it to my dad for second opinion as he is free!! I can't understand what they are talking about being the gearbox if I am honest. Really doesn't sound like a gearbox noise from my experience. They tend to properly whine like reverse gear when they are on the way out, or they grind? I have never heard one drone like this, or be direction dependant. Has anyone experienced this type of noise from a box?

Gearbox is a sealed unit so shouldn't 'consume' oil as such the way an engine would. Unless its been leaking.

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
They said the box has a leak. It might do, but can't understand what noise they are referring to? I have no issue getting it into gear hot or cold.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Had this on mine, a groan/rotational bearing noise when turning right 'exuberantly', turned out my gearbox mount was shagged (the upper one underneath the battery.)

£17 odd later it was fixed.

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Are the mounts relatively easy to change yourself? I am trying to avoid having to fork out about £900 for a new box!

titanium 182,
oil loss due to selector seal leaks that have not been rectified, inner cv gaiter leaking, casing leaking etc etc = knackerd box