ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Number plate and logbook trouble

I bought my 172 about 3 months ago which came with a private reg. I was informed that I would receive the logbook and the original reg from the seller within 6 weeks, which didn't happen and now it has been 3 months.

The bloke I bought the car from was a class A **** and obviously still hasn't sent off the logbook. Now I spoke to the DVLA about a month ago and they informed me that if I payed them £30 I would receive a new logbook and the private reg would be mine to keep (which is what I wanted). Now because I'm lazy I didn't send off the V317 or whatever sheet it was with £30 which would have entitled me to keep the private reg.

I've walked in to a letter with a new tax disc with the original reg printed on it and a V948 sheet.

i really don't want this bloke getting his reg back as he was a complete **** and I want it myself, but is it too late now I've received this letter? If not ill send off the V317 tomorrow.

When I last spoke to the DVLA they informed me that the seller had a 6 week period to send off the logbook ect, otherwise I could then apply to have the private reg myself.

Ok ill give them a call first thing tomorrow as well. Feel like punching myself ATM.

Ita not like the reg means anything to me, it's the fact it's probably worth a couple of hundred quid!

PH2 RS172
no the reg has gone through now mate and it will be on a retention in his name. nothing you can do as technically its like you trying to claim ownership of a car you sold thats now in someone elses name. you could have though if youd have stuck to the dates though

PH2 RS172
btw i know because ive swapped plates over that much over the last 15 years i consider myself an expert mug for paying the fees that have outweighed the cost of the plate 10 times over lol

Renault Clio182 bean
Do you have a logbook then? if not you need to sort that first. IF you have the green slip (v5/c2) you can apply for a logbook from the DVLA if you send it off with a' v62 application for a logbook' form. And its FREE if you have the Green slip, surely they will just transfer the registration at the time they sort your new logbook??

If you have received the tax disc at your address with the original reg on it then surely that means the car is registered to you at your address on the original reg.

They wouldn't send the tax disc to you otherwise.

Sounds to me like the V5 got "lost in the post". I'd be calling the DVLA and requesting a new V5 be sent out.

Also means that the plates on your car are invalid and you should be resorting to the original plates since the tax disc won't match the plates now.

He has his reg , you have the original reg job done , if you had wanted it that bad the only chance you had was to have done what the DVLA told you to straight away but even that wasnt a dead cert , you snooze you loose

Get new plates made pretty quick but you should call dvla to check the wherabouts of the v5 before you swap tax discs

Is there no way that I could contact DVLA and explain that the seller still hasn't sent me the logbook yet? And also that I was promised the private plates, and that the previous ower of the car has reclaimed them? I bought the car from a dealer you see and not privately.

I know it sounds a bit shifty, just trying to reclaim what I can!

PH2 RS172
dude he would have had to send off the logbook and put the plate on retention and get the book back with the original reg on while registering the car to you. this does take a long while (not 3 months mind but thats dealers for ya). if youve received the replacement tax disc at your home address then the dvla obviously know that you are the new owner. the logbook ALWAYS comes after you received the tax disc and v948 for new plates to be made

PH2 RS172
or to make it clearer taking the plate off and changing the owner details is two seperate tasks.

1 send off the logbook to have the reg swapped first, then he would get back the retention form (with the private reg on - cost £90 i think) and new v5 (still in his name but with a new/original reg on).....

2 then resend off the new v5 with your name filled in the new owner slip.

at normal dvla speeds id say the whole task is at least a month min

its also a ballache because me and a mate had to do it when i bought his car.... problem is if id have sent off his logbook in my name it would have come back with the private reg on still, cant do it seperate..... so my mate might as well have done it due to the £90 retention fee then sign the book over when it comes back

if that makes sense lol