ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

O2 Broadband

2014 Focus Titanium
Hi guys, after having O2 broadband (only the 8mb ADSL1) for about a month now I was beginning to get pissed off with my pings on Xbox Live games as compared to my mates I seemed to be about 1 second behind.

I decided to try online gaming on my PC to find my actual pings, and I was getting 150ms to a local CSS server, I was astonished!! I used to get 40 with my last ISP, I hadn't realised it was so bad because Xbox games dont show u true pings, just green lines or whatever.

Anyway, to investigate further I did a traceroute to said CSS server and guess what.... the traceroute was taking 100ms to get to my router! (Computer wired directly "O2 wireless box") I couldn't believe it, so I hooked up my old Netgear Wireless router and tried gaming on my PC again, and straight away 40ms! Wtf! Now Xbox games are as smooth as silk too.

So just a warning to you guys with O2 broadband, if you're having connection issues try a different router, as mine was obviously massively bottlenecking my connection.

I don't use my o2 router either as it kept dropping the connection every hour. Also had that ping issue too.

tiTTy & SV650
interesting, i have the o2 wireless box and get a great connection but now and again it slows down. Might be worth getting a better router if I ever get an xbox 360

2014 Focus Titanium
interesting, i have the o2 wireless box and get a great connection but now and again it slows down. Might be worth getting a better router if I ever get an xbox 360

It wasn't just the xbox, it was any type of gaming which it was effecting, however download speeds and surfing was fine!

Polo GTi
I just got o2 after coming from Be* and the router and speeds are excellent, I am getting almost 1mb more on o2, which I find strange as they are technically the same company?

VW ....
I just got o2 after coming from Be* and the router and speeds are excellent, I am getting almost 1mb more on o2, which I find strange as they are technically the same company?

Heh ,i done the same ,had problems with Be then moved to O2 & never had a problem & i run an xbox too .

330Ci (Fail)Sport
We had problems with o2 disconnecting and reconnecting every 20mins or so. Gave them a call, they noticed our settings weren't correct, so sorted it, lost less than half meg in speed but connection is solid and has been ever since.

2014 Focus Titanium
For me I put it down to the O2 router being a Thomson and my other router being a netgear. Thomson routers are a bit notorious for problems with lines without very good noise margins and such.