ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Odyssey ph1 172 pure track car. No tax discs here........

Astra H vxr
this car is going to look too nice once its finished looked like a very clean car to start off with :) great work mate

ph1 172
Update

Right, once again more goodies have turned up that I probably don't need but they were there for the right price:D

Just need a back plate for the air filter and an ecu..
Excuse the dirty engine...
http://
7449949626_e0b5171ded.jpg
Untitled by Rhys Beal, on Flickr

I have no idea where to start with this lot......and this is nothing in relation to the rest of the loom

7449957012_8a12bc4cf7.jpg

Attachments

• 7449949626_e0b5171ded.jpg
    7449949626_e0b5171ded.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 7449957012_8a12bc4cf7.jpg
    7449957012_8a12bc4cf7.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 23
  ph1 172
Looks very nice but I do have a throttle body fetish!

I have been in a couple of ITB'd cars and after spending most of the day at Donnington in Lewis Taylor's I got home and bought some! lol

Knowing me I probably just bought them for the sound:eek:

Trafic 140dci
Looks good mate, loom looks lovely!! :) Also you have a proper temp sensor that would need drilling and tapping into the thermostat housings, IMO i'd use that as appose to the m8 tempt sensor TDF sell that i use as they are very expensive, and mine broke due to being brittle after only a year, I'll be using what you have on the Turbo engine :)

ph1 172
Looks good mate, loom looks lovely!! :) Also you have a proper temp sensor that would need drilling and tapping into the thermostat housings, IMO i'd use that as appose to the m8 tempt sensor TDF sell that i use as they are very expensive, and mine broke due to being brittle after only a year, I'll be using what you have on the Turbo engine :)

Cool:)

Sounds good to me, might need a small amount of help with some of it though;)

ph1 172
Nice mower. :) Cracking set of bodies also.

How's the cage fitment going?

Ha the mower is my bosses old one that he said chuck as it doesn't work......started first pull:S Hence why it's in my garage;)

The cage is cracking on now, I will drop by on him later this week to get a few more pictures for your eyes providing it has moved on abit further!

BTW, I missed your car at FCS....was gutted when I realised you was there and never got the chance to have a good nose and chat with you

M135i and the shed
Ha the mower is my bosses old one that he said chuck as it doesn't work......started first pull:S Hence why it's in my garage;)

The cage is cracking on now, I will drop by on him later this week to get a few more pictures for your eyes providing it has moved on abit further!

BTW, I missed your car at FCS....was gutted when I realised you was there and never got the chance to have a good nose and chat with you

I know what you mean. FCS went by in a bit of a blur and to be honest I didn't get half the time I wanted to catch up with people. Cage update would be good. :)

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This looks epic chap, great work.

Get the Gripper in, you won't regret it. Mine has been awesome since it went in. I'll be keeping my eye on the progress of this one. :clap:

ph1 172

Attachments

• 7456840180_bf6f6fda16.jpg
    7456840180_bf6f6fda16.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 7456822950_0951d2b1ba.jpg
    7456822950_0951d2b1ba.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 7456828290_5c4d171bb8.jpg
    7456828290_5c4d171bb8.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 7456834338_5f5ed3843b.jpg
    7456834338_5f5ed3843b.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 7456817174_ffb4406fc8.jpg
    7456817174_ffb4406fc8.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 18
  ph1 172
Cheers chaps

Yes Dan the steering column will have some major ish work done to it as I will be losing the ignition barrel, moving it down quite alot, fabricating new tube work for it to brace to the cage and having the steering wheel much further back

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
I've missed loads of this thread, just sat and read through it all, going to be a cracking car.

Cage install brings back some memories! The front X through the bulkhead will most likely just arrive as two lengths of 25mm tube, they let you cut and profile them your self. Cutting the holes takes a bit of figuring out, or just cut them big and plate it back in lol

Your man is pretty handy at Tig!
My mate has been giving me some more welding lessons, finally starting to get a bit better at it now, even doing some important bits myself :eek:

Regards lowering and or moving the steering column, be aware, if you move it too far from stock you run the risk of effecting the operation of the column. The phasing and operating angle of the two UJ's is very important if you want to maintain smooth, linear steering.
I've moved the column on my car down quite a lot and also inwards slightly,
I initially used a single UJ but I knew it was right at the edge of it's adviseable operating angle at 22degs +/-
IMGP4338.jpg

In order to check, the column is turned through 20deg intervals and the amount the rack moves measured with a vernier caliper, this should be linear but as i suspected it was anything but.

I ended up fitting a double UJ in the middle and a single one at the rack, the difference was quite surprising. I've not got any pictures of it but i'll update my thread soon.

Keep up the good work.

ph1 172
I love seeing an email on my iPhone telling me there's been an update :D
Wish I had the balls to do something like that to mine.

Ah I'm glad that you enjoy it :) Thank you

I've missed loads of this thread, just sat and read through it all, going to be a cracking car.

Cage install brings back some memories! The front X through the bulkhead will most likely just arrive as two lengths of 25mm tube, they let you cut and profile them your self. Cutting the holes takes a bit of figuring out, or just cut them big and plate it back in lol

Your man is pretty handy at Tig!
My mate has been giving me some more welding lessons, finally starting to get a bit better at it now, even doing some important bits myself :eek:

Regards lowering and or moving the steering column, be aware, if you move it too far from stock you run the risk of effecting the operation of the column. The phasing and operating angle of the two UJ's is very important if you want to maintain smooth, linear steering.
I've moved the column on my car down quite a lot and also inwards slightly,
I initially used a single UJ but I knew it was right at the edge of it's adviseable operating angle at 22degs +/-
IMGP4338.jpg

In order to check, the column is turned through 20deg intervals and the amount the rack moves measured with a vernier caliper, this should be linear but as i suspected it was anything but.

I ended up fitting a double UJ in the middle and a single one at the rack, the difference was quite surprising. I've not got any pictures of it but i'll update my thread soon.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much Kenny for such a detailed response:)

Great stuff to hear that you are getting on better with the welding. I have a TIG welder but my Grandad has has borrowed it back as his has gone wrong atm. I will start doing more welding as soon as I can however. I can MIG alright but TIG takes alot more precision and patience!

The front turret diagonal is just 2 T45 bars of the same length your right, but before I received them James at Custom Cages ran through it with me fortunately.

I appreciate the picture of your steering column thank you. I will have to look into it further and maybe have a look at your finished article to get some sneaky ideas:eek:

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
No probs, happy to help if I can.
I'm away on a course just now, home tomorrow, I've got some pictures on my camera that I've been meaning to upload for a while. Adding a double UJ means you need to add a bearing to support the lower half of the column, that took a bit of head scratching!

Another wee point/observation, I dont want to teach you or Ashley to suck eggs here but I cant tell from the pictures, have the front legs of the cage haven't been welded to the foot plates yet?

I find the biggest thing with welding, whether it's mig or tig, is being able to see the joint properly, that sounds stupid I know, but even with a half decent ESAB reactive mask I have started using a small hand lamp over the piece i'm welding, takes a bit to get it set up so it doesn't trigger the mask but I find it helps a lot, especially good for doing a series of spot welds with mig so you can see exactly where the wire is going.

ph1 172
The front legs have not been welded to the plates yet no..

I understand what you are saying and really welcome any pointers that help the project move along a little smoother so thank you:)
I will speak with Ashley tomorrow and see what we can do

Any help from yourself and others is appreciated

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Thats good then, I didnt think you or Ashley would drop the ball on that one, but just wanted to check.
When you pull the front legs together so you can get in to weld everything up, I pulled mine in with a ratchet strap, but when you come to release it, I used a couple of pry bars and blocks of wood between the tubes and the sills, (need an extra mate or two to help) took up the tension and then released the strap, that way you can let it relax slowly, otherwise it'll go with a bang! T45 is springy stuff

Regards the column, and the double UJ, some will say it's not necessary or you dont need to worry about it, but best make that decision for your self. Have a read up on some of the tech docs here http://www.woodwardsteering.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=682&Itemid=586

I bought the UJ's and weld in splines from their distributor in the Netherlands, Hydroline.

ph1 172
Sorry chap, I am just as eager as you!

It has been a very long time now but am hoping for the cage to be completed this month some time.

Although atm I am glad that it isn't in my garage as my daily 182 is in bits still from hitting a deer nearly 3 weeks ago. Still haven't got the bodywork that I need..

The only thing that I have done on the car is cut more of it out to get ready for the front part of the cage!

7533671786_d222f68195.jpg
7533673296_c98a52d724.jpg

Attachments

• 7533671786_d222f68195.jpg
    7533671786_d222f68195.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 7533673296_c98a52d724.jpg
    7533673296_c98a52d724.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 22
  Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
I have this cage in my mk1 (obviously mk1 version) its a great cage but it was a nightmare to fit on even an empty car lol

ph1 172
Yep sure is a right faff at times it's proving! Not had any progress on mine for ages but should hopefully see it done sometime this month.

On another note I had a look at yours the other day and I must say it looks great in red against the grey top work:)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Cheers buddy :)

at least you know the direction of yours... im still a little hazy as to what i want to do! lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Rhys what colour are you going for on this? I've not read through it all so you might have already said!

ph1 172
Cheers buddy :)

at least you know the direction of yours... im still a little hazy as to what i want to do! lol

Do you know what engine spec your going to run then?

Rhys what colour are you going for on this? I've not read through it all so you might have already said!
The exterior is going to stay Odyssey Blue as I cannot be bothered to spray it but the interior and under the bonnet will be a metallic grey similar to some of the original cup race cars.

Bought these the other day too. Will spray them gold and match the Speedline sticker with an Odyssey blue one to keep it looking neat. Won't run slicks till next year so will sell these, plus they haven't got too much life left in them
7782241486_8579825933.jpg

Attachments

• 7782241486_8579825933.jpg
    7782241486_8579825933.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 19
  ph1 172
True! Ill paint the car for you with a custom design i thought of lol.

Got the rest of the bits for the 182? We can fix that one in no time!

...Custom design.. Does this include orange peel and runs?

Unfortunately I could not find any second hand parts that I was satisfied with (I am very fussy) so I have purchased new Genuine Renault. New bumper is £180 and new bumper is £150 which I thought is not too bad. It is booked in to be sprayed on 28th as that is the earliest they can do it so I will get it back at the end of this month. Also got a pair of grey xenons which I am happy about. Will also now plumb in a pas cooler and engine oil cooler whilst I have the time