ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil breather plate bolts

Not sure if this is a well known problem or not, but I thought i would bring it to peoples attention

i did a trackday at castle combe this Saturday, after finishing I opened the bonnet to make sure everything was in order and noticed oil had leaked at spurted all over the expansion tank and water hoses.

now today I've investigated why this had happened, so removed inlet manifold for a better look upon removal I noticed:

6 sheared bolts, and when removing the other 2 they sheared with only trying to undo them with my fingers

87206f96e44832c19b27fca260579fa9_zps7b9fc6b0.jpg

cadcd1f3e93d9b4d42d07e0e250b1d5d_zps8d324fc7.jpg

f26b5cc785230fdf6be4c44a2c1bb58e_zps917f8b36.jpg

So straight away I phoned k-tec to see if they had seen anything like this, oddly enough they had a clio in with the same problem.

They weren't to sure, but guesses it could be down to the bolt heating up and cooling down, but it doesn't make sense as to why this wouldn't happen to the cam cover bolts?

i thought I would just share this with you, and would be quite good if others posted experience or any knowledge of this

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Just stripped everything down on my PH1 to remove the head, not a problem with any bolts.

I've got 5 okay.

2 are sheared to low for me to get any grip on them, so have to drill and re-tap those

The last one is just being stubborn

I've had the odd one shear off now and then nut never all 6. Maybe they've been overtightened at somepoint as they're only soft, exact same bolts that hold the inlet plenum on and they're prone for doing the same thing.

Yea that's another thought I had.

I don't think I will be replacing them with standard renault bolts, normally I'd be annoyed with this situation but I'm actually surprised and interested to find out why it's happened.