ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

oil cooler or not?

itb182, 621bhp scoob
I've read quite a few threads on here regarding oil coolers so I have used the search bar before anyone comments, I did a track day Saturday at my local snetterton and after 4 or 5 laps my oil was at 105 degrees c, I'm using gulf competition fully syn ester based 5w40, I start getting nervous once over 100 degrees as that's the 40 rating viscosity with the oil, would I be right I thinking an oil cooler is needed, especially as its still freezing cold, and once summer gets here the oil temp will be well over this, I've a 182 cup with itb's and it's just my track car towed to track, any ideas please.

I wouldn't worry about oil temps unless its regularly seeing over 120/130 degree's. I think oil cooler is a good idea however and I have got one fitted to mine

itb182, 621bhp scoob
I've just fitted the new prosport halo oil temp and pressure guages with peak and selectable alarm features, just fitted via a sandwich plate, I may well just put a 13 row cooler on then just to keep temps down a little, it would be nice to keep temps between 90-100 without having to cool down every 4 laps, I think it will be worse in the summer with some 30 ambient temps would see the oil well over 105. Anyone know what the mocal kits are like from jjc off ebay or do people prefer water cooled ones

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
105 is pretty much perfect, hot enough to boil out any moisture but not hot enough to cause a problem.

If you use a decent oil 130 is about where you need to start thinking about a cooler.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
That's good to know then, cheers chip, I use gulf competition or fuches pro r 5w40 depending which is on offer at the time so it will cope with 120, just wanna be safe on track as it get driven hard for 20 - 30 minute sessions at a time then cooled down.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For summer it would be worth getting a cooler if you are staying out for 30 min sessions at a time.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
yes i think ur right chip, im thinking a 13 row mocal would be ok, from your experience what do you run?

itb182, 621bhp scoob
what would you hardy track goers recommend, oil cooler sandwich plate without thermostat as less to go wrong and i dont use it on the road, plus how many rows as i dont want to over cool the oil either. Also stack guages are very good, ive been happy with prosport as i have them in the clio and my impreza too.

Lionel Richie
I've just fitted the new prosport halo oil temp and pressure guages with peak and selectable alarm features, just fitted via a sandwich plate, I may well just put a 13 row cooler on then just to keep temps down a little, it would be nice to keep temps between 90-100 without having to cool down every 4 laps, I think it will be worse in the summer with some 30 ambient temps would see the oil well over 105. Anyone know what the mocal kits are like from jjc off ebay or do people prefer water cooled ones

Its only just upto temp at 100degC mate ;) with a good 5W40 you're fine upto 130-135ish, pressure is also worth monitoring

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Personally i'd always get a thermostatic one, never known anyone have ones break (obviously not 10quid ebay special)

itb182, 621bhp scoob
Its only just upto temp at 100degC mate ;) with a good 5W40 you're fine upto 130-135ish, pressure is also worth monitoring

cool cheers fred, i do have an oil pressure guage fitted aswell and i have always had good pressure, i have it set to alarm if its drops below a certain pressure. so is there bad points to fitting a cooler? if i had to fit one come summer month would you fit one with or without a thermostatic plate?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Pah!! oil coolers are just something else to go wrong, you're not doing Paris Dakkar are you?

Normally I agree with you Tony...

But not this time,positives outweigh the unlikely possibilty of it going wrong..

itb182, 621bhp scoob
Pah!! oil coolers are just something else to go wrong, you're not doing Paris Dakkar are you?

lol no dakkar tony just little old snetterton, got another trackday in a couple of weeks so will just monitor temps and pressures for now.

182cup & 172 racecar
Can't seem to find one on the race car.

Oh, just the water cooled/heated one, good enough for the cup racers, is good enough for me.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
and where can we purchase a water cooled one, i heard they are similar to the renault 5 turbo water cooled ones?

Lionel Richie
^same thing

utterly no need for an oil cooler on a stock engine clio, just use a 5 or 10W50 oil and you be safe until the cows come home

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
lol no dakkar tony just little old snetterton, got another trackday in a couple of weeks so will just monitor temps and pressures for now.

if it starts getting hot, just remove the undertray. Slight risk of getting stones in the linkage if you go off the track, but thats preferable IMO (on a track day)

itb182, 621bhp scoob
^same thing

utterly no need for an oil cooler on a stock engine clio, just use a 5 or 10W50 oil and you be safe until the cows come home

do you mean stock internally as its not really stock anymore as im running 200bhp on itb`s. cheers dan, removing the under tray never occurred to me lol

Lionel Richie
meh that's not going to increase the heat loading that much, we ran BIGASH's last year with no oil cooler with no problems (well apart from the car being s**t) he did 36th to 5th in a 45min race flat out and it was fine

Cup In bits
Iirc correctly Fred the car boiled itself at that race but he couldn't be sure of temps due to dodgy sensors etc then it spat a rod next time out, more than likely the oil taken a roasting didnt help that.

I think its unfair to say a car doesn't need one Tony when your running one of a different type.

Thermostatic plate and you'll never have to worry IMO.

182cup & 172 racecar
I think its unfair to say a car doesn't need one Tony when your running one of a different type.

We only ran with that one last year, did 2 years without anything.

Anyway, whatever, fit a cooler if you want and it makes you happy.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
It's interesting with everyone's views towards oil coolers, with or without, I'm just trying to guage best way to go from an engineering point of view as some of us know the 40 in 5w40 is the viscosity at 100 degrees c, after all it is the blood of the engine and if it thins too much it's an expensive mistake to then have to put another engine in.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want to keep your engine in one piece from an oil point of view, a pressure gauge is the first thing to fit TBH

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

But not this time,positives outweigh the unlikely possibilty of it going wrong..

What do you think the positives are though, given that I dont know anyone who is seeing 150 degree oil temps on a more or less standard clio engine?

And the big downside is if an oil cooler pipe becomes loose or splits, you lose all your oil pressure and the engine dies.

So unless you are really using the car very hard for long periods, personally I think for a standard clio there is more downside than up.

182cup & 172 racecar
Seen too many race cars not make it, because of damage to cooler or associated pipes, don't forget, they are usually mounted in a very vulnerable area, plus as Chippy say's, pipes can go etc.

Errr not really - the ONLY positive is it will stop the oil overheating, which you'll really struggle to do on a stock engined car or even a bodied car
The downsides are you can hole them and seize the engine (happened to a mate) or they'll cool the oil so much it can't get up to temperature which is even worse for an engine than it getting too hot

If you're gonna fit one at least use a thermostatic sandwich plate so it doesn't over cool the oil

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Unless really pushing it on a hot summers day for a long period of stress I wouldn't bother IMO.

Cup In bits
The op has a bodies car that is used for long sessions only on track. Thats reason enough to fit some kind if cooler IMO so the oil isn't getting to extremes of its properties.

If you find it ain't getting upto temp in winter fit blanks or put tape on heat exchanger, fit the cooler correctly and it is no more fragile than a radiator and hoses which both have the same end effect if they leak out. All IMO off course.

Mark123 has monitored temperatures on his stack gauges which I would trust and has seen temps over 130-140 on a rs2'd car.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
A swede has said from what the OP said he does with the car and the fact it's not just a bog standard engine I would run a cooler.

Ok granted you have the chance of pipes splitting can't argue with that.. but personally I would run one on any car that is used a lot on track or modified a lot engine wise..

But hey that's just my opinion.. everyone has one ;)

Phil.. I said thermostatic plate wouldn't use one without for that reason.

RS172 Flamer
So basically if he decides to get one, then make sure it has the thermostatic plate for good measure and braided lines for added strength??