ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil for Gripper Diff Gearbox

I have just had my gearbox refurbished by Agency transmissions. The syncro's in 3rd and 4th were very bad. Martin thinks the oil I was using might have something to do with it.

I had been using Castrol B373 which worked a treat with the diff, but if this is causing snycro wear I need to look for an alternative.

Just wondered what everyone else with gripper diffs had been using? Don't want to mess up my new gearbox.

Cup In bits
Not sure tbh, that's what they told me when I enquired. I was going to research a bit more before I run mines.

Edit: Reading that page its basically saying use an oil that suits the original gear train I.e synchros etc with a minimum gl5 rating.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I spoke with Opie Oils at length when I did my engine swap, and they recommended Fuchs Titan SintoFluid SAE 75w-80 for my Gripper'd box. After 3k I can report it's still going strong :)

182cup & 172 racecar
I spoke with Opie Oils at length when I did my engine swap, and they recommended Fuchs Titan SintoFluid SAE 75w-80 for my Gripper'd box. After 3k I can report it's still going strong :)

This is the stuff Jamie. It's what I put in mine, and James also.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
standerd gearoil 80/90 gl5 .trust me

The gripper will be noisey and wear sooner on that, but will certainly work still.

Also worth a mention is that if you have a gripper you should change your box oil a lot more often as the plates contaminate the oil.

I did use Castrol B373 and the diff worked great but it caused synco wear.

From what I understand any oil in a syncro box with a gripper diff installed is going to be some kind of compromise.

The gripper will be noisey and wear sooner on that, but will certainly work still.

Also worth a mention is that if you have a gripper you should change your box oil a lot more often as the plates contaminate the oil.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I did use Castrol B373 and the diff worked great but it caused synco wear.

From what I understand any oil in a syncro box with a gripper diff installed is going to be some kind of compromise.

Yep, there is no oil thats as good for the box as it is for the diff.

This is one area where the quaiffe is far better.

Also spec the oil to look after the box rather than the diff is what gripper have always told me. I ran B373 on a few peoples recommendation and it fooked the box in no time.

I then either would run castrol syntrans or more preferably the Fuchs stuff

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thing is ultimately it doesnt make much difference if you knacker the box synchros prematurely using oil the diff likes, or knacker the diff plates prematurely using oil the box likes, either way you need to have it apart and when you do so you will end up doing both jobs anyway as no point having the box apart and then putting it back together without doing so.

Its just a case of having to accept a big increase in maintainance if you go gripper not quaiffe, worth it if you are racing but if its a car getting a lot of road use then just go for the quaiffe instead IMHO

Using oil the diff likes gave me 2 hours track time, Using oil the syncro’s like gripper assure me doesn’t affect plate life just makes them noisier but they’ve even combated that by a change in the design of the plates. As I said before spec the oil for the box not the diff as Gripper have said.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure why you only got 2 hours TBH, I know people who have run on B373 and still managed a couple of seasons.

Even if spec'ing the oil for the box it still needs to be changed more often than normal, as it gets contamindated.

The man at Opie laughed at me when I told him I’d used B373 in a gearbox lol, I just remember how bad Porkies box was at the Ring/Spa after running on it!

Agreed but I was never doubting that anyway :)