ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak 172 Pictures Inside........

Hi guys. My 1st post.. happens to be a fault! Ah well.

Anyway I've got a bit of a leak, appears to be coming from the top of the engine somewhere. I took the inlet manifold off a few months ago to investigate what I thaught was a problem with the ignition system, and it turned out one of the spark plug had a little well of oil in it. Its also collecting on the front of the engine.
Any Ideas where its coming from or what I need to do to stop it?

Thanks Adam Ps. Its a 2002 172 FF with 104k miles.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/p7158332.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/p7158333.jpg/

When I spoke to someone about getting my cambelt done I mentioned the leak to him..... He said he thinks it can be sorted when he does the cambelt. So is this whats needed Fred?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep its a job that involves taking the covers off, clean up the mating faces and re-seal them... its an extra 15-20minute job when doing the timing belt and the best time really. He will need to take the pulleys off though to get the covers to come away from the cams but if the person doing your belt change has the correct tools he won't have any problems doing this.

Mick

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yep its a job that involves taking the covers off, clean up the mating faces and re-seal them... its an extra 15-20minute job when doing the timing belt and the best time really. He will need to take the pulleys off though to get the covers to come away from the cams but if the person doing your belt change has the correct tools he won't have any problems doing this.

Mick

i would say a good hour.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
15-20min? you must work fast!

That's what the missus said the other night... best 15mins she's had I tell ya!

Nagh, parts washers take too long mate; elbow grease, wire brush (Not too harsh obviously) and a tin of brake cleaner.... Job done. I did one on a K4J Clio II in Sheffield on Wednesday and admittedly the cover wasn't shiny 'like new' clean finish when done as you'd get from a hot chemical wash but it wasn't' ditched in oil, looked more than acceptable and the mating face was perfect for re-sealing.

Mick