ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil - You get what you pay for!

Lionel Richie
no no no, i think its madness using the 2 i mentioned, its not a £200K race car! aim for around the £30-£40 for 5L area, thats about right

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
no no no, i think its madness using the 2 i mentioned, its not a £200K race car! aim for around the £30-£40 for 5L area, thats about right

Fred its online and on sale for £40.00 which i think is decent price.
Im more than happy to pay that for oil even tho i have 10L's of the elf stuff in the garage.

Boom-2.gif

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
i use the elf as pictured above by you marcR and iv never had any problems and iv done 45k in about 17months

I have always used it also but i just use what renault tell me to use.
Now that fred has suggested some other oils i might get the car ready for a good engine flush and some fresh oil

53 Clio's & counting
dont use engine flush mate! no need for it, and it can cause more harm than good, just get the oil hot before you drop it.

I used titan pro S in my Elise, made the k series noticably more quiet, cold and warm, and smelt great

120d M Sport
Can a top end synthetic really make a car noticeably quieter running? Or is it all in the mind, bit of placebo effect lol?

I remember running two 5w30 synthetics in my Zetec S, one Fuchs, one Millers, for some reason I felt the Millers was better, couldn't quite put my finger on why, maybe it was a little smoother?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
dont use engine flush mate! no need for it, and it can cause more harm than good, just get the oil hot before you drop it.

I used titan pro S in my Elise, made the k series noticably more quiet, cold and warm, and smelt great

Sounds good enough for me. I have seen Titan oil pop up a few times so that seems like a good choice

53 Clio's & counting
Can a top end synthetic really make a car noticeably quieter running? Or is it all in the mind, bit of placebo effect lol?

I remember running two 5w30 synthetics in my Zetec S, one Fuchs, one Millers, for some reason I felt the Millers was better, couldn't quite put my finger on why, maybe it was a little smoother?

Different oils can give different charateristics, and can make them quieter or louder - remember comparing 2 same viscocity oils is like comparing 2 loafs of bread - they could both be white and sliced, but taste totally different

I noticed going to the titan made a noticable difference in the elise, but i was unaware what it previously had in it - even my father noticed it was quieter - he was unaware i had had it serviced.

Sounds good enough for me. I have seen Titan oil pop up a few times so that seems like a good choice

it is a good oil, i will be buying more soon.

Tis a shame we don't use 5 40 at work, other wise id be able to buy it stupidy cheap :(

120d M Sport
Interesting Russ.

It wasn't two different grades I used (both 5w30) but two different makes. I did think one was slightly better at the time but wondered if it was me just being optimistic!

Might just splash out on some Motul or Fuchs Titan S stuff at some point, I'm thinking my 172 on 109k might thank me for it :D?

Hi

Different oils can make an engine run quieter for a couple of reasons. First of all is the basestock, group III and group V oils are good at helping cars run quieter, but group IV aren't so good at absorbing sound.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/tech-articles/Basestock-categories-and-Descriptions.pdf

Another thing is the actual viscosity. The viscosity listed on the can is a band rather than an exact point, so you can have a two oils that are sold as 5w-30, one may be a little thicker than the other.

Cheers

Tim

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I was looking on the Opie website yesterday and the cheapest "upgrade" was Gulf Competition. 6 litres for just over £38.

Couple of questions.

Is this a temporary offer price and should I just pick the cheapest "upgrade" oil. Car is a 172 that will be tracked 4-6times per year.

Yes, that is a temporary offer, it's usually about £40-45 for 5L.

The Gulf is a proper top end oil, we've had sponsored cars using it for 24 hour racing and lots of others using it for road and track use in modified and standard cars and we've had no problems with it.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry, should have clicked the link. Yes, the Supersyn is fine, or the Fuchs GT1 is a slightly better option for a similar price.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Gonna have to buy some gulf stuff. I need oil anyway but really want that bag. I have a TAG Gulf Edition watch, a Heuer/Gulf t-shirt and a Gulf mug. Want to add to my collection.

Yes very sad I know!!

Gonna have to buy some gulf stuff. I need oil anyway but really want that bag. I have a TAG Gulf Edition watch, a Heuer/Gulf t-shirt and a Gulf mug. Want to add to my collection.

Yes very sad I know!!

The Gulf clothing and accessories range is really popular, people always want the bags when we have a competition.

Cheers

Tim

It is. But saying it wasnt.....

Saying it's not under warranty, go for an ester based 5w-40 like the Fuchs Pro S, Millers CFS, Redline, Gulf Competition or Motul 300V.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Don't put them in under warranty, Renault have been getting tight on warranty claims and people have reported that the first thing Renault have done is test the oil before they do any work when it looks like it could be a big job.

Cheers

Tim

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Saying it's not under warranty, go for an ester based 5w-40 like the Fuchs Pro S, Millers CFS, Redline, Gulf Competition or Motul 300V.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Don't put them in under warranty, Renault have been getting tight on warranty claims and people have reported that the first thing Renault have done is test the oil before they do any work when it looks like it could be a big job.

Cheers

Tim

Excellent, thanks for your reply Tim! I'll bear this in mind for when it does eventually come out of warranty.

peugeot 308 1.6 vti
Hi oilman
very interesting post. I have a peugeot 308 1.6 vti sport ( petrol ) uses the same engine as a mini one and they all use oil and need topping up around 1500 miles litre. When bought it i was advised it has mobil 1 ESP in it, lovely oil but expensive at £14 litre when you use 1 litre per 1500 miles. peugeot Recommended is total quartz ens 5w30 bit better at £10 ltr. I have always used comma oils in previous cars and there pro tech 5w/30 synthetic is designed for this engine. It retails at £22 for 5 ltrs and £6 litre and is made by same people s mobil 1. What do you think of this oil and using it or better to use the recommended
total quartz ens 5w30?